Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 03:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 03:40 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yea yea, it is wrong because God is the author of life, not you. God created your son before you conceived with your wife.

And you can't say that God judging and destroying evil is fine either. If the argument is stupid then it is because there is no argument here. You are trying to forcefit modern day society onto an ancient culture and event WITHOUT knowing all the facts. The only way your argument holds is to say that man is on the same level as God. We are not. God can not commit sin so there is nothing that He done in the OT that was not in alignment with righteousness. In one thread, you blame God for sitting by idlely and letting evil happen every day. Then you blame him in the OT for cleaning house. What do you want Him to do? Make up your mind.

You have no proof that there were innocents during the Flood period. None. You don't have all the facts. Everyone could have been possessed with demons for all you know. But at least you established that it is NOT murder to kill wicked people. Otherwise you are being contradictory here.

Well when your side offers up ZERO evidence that my God is imaginary and there is a wealth of evidence showing me that He is very real, it's pretty logical to reason that God's not dead.
Yea we get it, Jeff. You are fine with God being a murderous psycho, because he is YOUR murderous psycho. We get it. We just think it is crazy.

I don't "blame" God for doing anything. I don't believe in your God. I say, IF your God is real, then he is doing a really crappy job, and obviously doesn't give a rat's butt about the people here on earth.

Sure, I have no proof that there were innocents in the same way you have no proof they were all bad. Fact is, there was never a time in human history where every single person was either good or bad. To think otherwise proves you lack the capacity to think logically. Although, saying that they could have all been possessed by demons pretty much proves it without that...

Well when your side offers up ZERO evidence that your God is real and there is a wealth of evidence showing me that he is not, it's pretty logical to reason that God's is dead.

See how this works, Jeff? Your beliefs are nothing more than your opinion, in the same way that my beliefs are my opinion. You have nothing but personal, subjective evidence for your beliefs, which make them no more valid than mine, or a Muslim's, or a Buddhist's, or..... etc

Old 01-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
No it wouldn't because I am not the creator of human life. God is. We don't have authority to take another person's life. You are robbing that person of the gift that God gave them. The gift of life. Again, you are trying to equate man on the same level as God.
No, you are proving you can't think critically or logically. The point of that post was to show what God really did. Which was, kill everyone, even innocents, because there were bad apples. Last I checked, according to your holy book, God is all powerful. Could he not have killed only the bad ones while leaving the innocents unscathed?

On the other hand, you were trying to equate God to someone who built a robot....

Old 01-15-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is called "special pleading".

I suspect you don't agree with Eusebius's special pleading for god that god does evil that good many come of it ... something that's okay for god to do because god knows the end from the beginning and so knows when evil will ultimately accomplish good. I suspect you disagree with it because I doubt you believe god would ever do anything evil, because unlike Eusebius you believe in moral evil -- that evil is inherently immoral and wicked and therefore an evil act can only be done by an evil actor.

On the other hand though you make a special pleading for god in your own way by saying the it's okay to take life (murder) if you are the author of that life. The thing is, if murder is evil, then it's evil regardless of who does the murdering.
Oh, there ya go again Mordant! Injecting common sense and logic into the thread! How dare you do that to Jeff!

Jeff has made it clear that he doesn't even think God can murder, simply because he created us. Therefore, even if God came down and killed Jeff's 1 minute old baby, Jeff would be just fine with it. I just can't understand that kind of thinking...

Evil is evil. If murdering an innocent is evil for man, then it is evil for any gods that may be out there.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:45 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
If I lost my faith, I would resort back sinful man's actions be directed by selfish mood and emotions.
Which is what people have been telling you...the only thing that is keeping you from being a rather obnoxious person is your fear of your god. Some of us manage to be decent people without the threat of 'eternal damnation' held over our heads. Clearly, you cannot.

Quote:
Sure it was nice that you gave the money back to the person. It may you feel good and you knew that the person would probably respond nicely back to you. What if you knew that they would spit in your face instead? STill give the money back? After all, it's the right thing to do, but you gain a negative instead of a positive response.
I'd still do it. Just as I hold a door open for people and most people these days don't even acknowledge me...but I'll still do it tomorrow, and I don't need any unevidenced deity to tell me that is what I need to do.

Last edited by Rafius; 01-15-2016 at 04:03 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Which is what people have been telling you...the only thing that is keeping you from being a rather obnoxious person is your fear of your god. Some of manage to be decent people without the threat of 'eternal damnation' held over our heads. Clearly, you cannot.

I'd still do it. Just as I hold a door open for people and most people these days don't even acknowledge me...but I'll still do it tomorrow, and I don't need any unevidenced deity to tell me that is what I need to do.
Exactly. Just because Jeff doesn't have any kind of moral compass without his religion, doesn't mean no one does. Most of us can function just fine without religion. To say that the only thing keeping you from "resorting back sinful man's actions be directed by selfish mood and emotions." is your religion is quite frightening. It also tells you all you need to know about some people's mental state.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Really, the Christian God can kill whomever he likes and it's totally moral? Posts like this remind us of why we cannot let religious fundamentalists get political power.

It's supreme irony that Jeff mentions ISIS, a group that believes it can kill whomever it wants because they are simply doing God's holy work.
BOOM! HEADSHOT!

Old 01-15-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Why not? If I create a robot and this robot starts going around murdering people then it is immoral to deactivate the robot? It is according to you.
My goodness! What skewed thinking. And they have the temerity to call us 'immoral'.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Well when your side offers up ZERO evidence that my God is imaginary and there is a wealth of evidence showing me that He is very real,.....
Why don't you share this 'evidence' with the rest of the world?

Old 01-15-2016, 04:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Define "HARM" cupper3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality