Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:40 PM

888 posts, read 454,199 times

Advertisements

The St. Louis Archbishop is upset with the Girl Scouts, claiming they are too far away from Catholic values. He has written a letter to his flock encouraging parishes to dump the Girl Scouts in favor of other organizations.

Quote:
Dear Priests, Scout Leaders and Faithful of the Archdiocese.

For several years, the Archdiocese of St. Louis, along with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, has been investigating concerns regarding Girls Scouts USA (GSUSA). These concerns also extend to the parent organization of GSUSA, the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS). They include, but are not limited to:

1. WAGGGS’ continued promotion of contraception and “abortion rights” on behalf of its girl members, the majority of whom are minors
2. Financial contributions from GSUSA to WAGGGS, based on number of registered GSUSA members
3. GSUSA resources and social media highlight and promote role models in conflict with Catholic values, such as Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan.
4. Organizations that GSUSA promotes and partners with are conflict with Catholic values, such as Amnesty International, Coalition for Adolescent Girls, OxFam and more. This is especially troubling in regards to sex education and advocacy for “reproductive rights” (i.e. abortion and contraceptive access, even for minors)
I was a girl scout a long time ago and know women who continue to volunteer as scout leaders even though their children are grown. They do it for the girls and are not out highlighting and promoting the concerns expressed by the archbishop. Most girls do not continue with the Girl Scouts through high school. After elementary school there is also a drop in participation with the junior high/middle school age group. I personally hope that older Girl Scouts will be able to discuss these issues amongst themselves with adult leadership. Girls need safe communities in which to discuss their bodies and related issues.

Of course the Catholic Church, like any other organization, has the right to promote their values and choose groups that do so. The Catholic version of Girl Scouts is called Little Flowers Girls' Club I looked at the page and it strikes me as a watered down version of GSA. (The name sounds too much like Little Flower Girls' Club, which makes them sound like their goal is to be flower girls at weddings, hardly a goal to empower girls to become strong women. Yes, I know that's not why they chose it, but I'd think someone would have though to choose another name.)

He closes the letter by saying:

Quote:
Therefore, I am asking each pastor that allows Girl Scout troops to meet on parish property to conduct a meeting with troop leadership to review these concerns and discuss implementing alternative options for the formation of our girls. Our primary obligation is to help our girls grow as women of God. Several alternative organizations exist, many of which have a Catholic or Christian background. For more information on each of these organizations and a more detailed listing of ongoing concerns, please visit archstl.org/scouting. I ask that you carefully study each organization and strongly consider offering one of these programs in your parish instead of Girl Scouts.
Effective immediately, I am disbanding the Catholic Committee on Girl Scouts and instead forming a Catholic Committee for Girls Formation that will be charged with ministry to all girls in various organizations. While continuing to serve our Catholic girls involved in various scouting programs, this committee will also reflect our ongoing commitment to educating and forming all young women.
I am aware that many of our young women are active in Girl Scouts and any action taken against the organization affects them first. To aid in this process, the Catholic Youth Apostolate is available to offer assistance in helping your parish. They are continuing to strategize new Catholic formation programs to address the spiritual, emotional and personal well-being of all Catholic girls.
The full letter -
St. Louis Archbishop's Letter Warning About the Girl Scouts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 AM

261 posts, read 156,662 times
Hopefully Scouts and Guides will completely drop religion from their organisations, it is outdated!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
As I've noted elsewhere, if an archbishop is all bent out of shape over the Girl Scouts, that's a pretty strong indication that the Girl Scouts are doing good things...

Old 02-24-2016, 07:42 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
The Catholic version of Girl Scouts is called Little Flowers Girls' Club I looked at the page and it strikes me as a watered down version of GSA. (The name sounds too much like Little Flower Girls' Club, which makes them sound like their goal is to be flower girls at weddings, hardly a goal to empower girls to become strong women. Yes, I know that's not why they chose it, but I'd think someone would have though to choose another name.)
It establishes right out the chute that they want their girls socialized to be fragile, diminutive and in need of protection from and submission to men.

Certainly not scouts or guides, which is just about the opposite image.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:07 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Just another in a long line of old men who think women need to be kept docile and pregnant.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
In Girl Scouts, we empower girls. All girls. All faiths. Fundamentalist ideologues do not like empowered, thinking women.

They like their women submissive, barely educated at home, having babies. No wonder they are afraid of Girl Scouts.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:26 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
In Girl Scouts, we empower girls. All girls. All faiths. Fundamentalist ideologues do not like empowered, thinking women.

They like their women submissive, barely educated at home, having babies. No wonder they are afraid of Girl Scouts.
Those damn fundamentalists!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Fortunately, they're a soon-to-be extinct sub-species -- a spiritual dead end.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

If you say so, jimmie.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:43 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Fundamentalist ideologues do not like empowered, thinking women.
Or empowered, thinking men.

Quote:
They like their women submissive, barely educated at home, having babies.
They like their men the same way, minus the "at home having babies" part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality