Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 06:09 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I would be interested in that response as well.

But Age-enduring strikes strikes me as an honest truth seeker - who was, and is hoping to remain - comfortable in his Christian-based beliefs but is willing to explore avenues that may require him to re-arrange certain aspects of them.

It's a path others have walked successfully - although none remained fundamentalists.

Good for them.
Age apparently watched the video , and as far as I can tell is doing a little investigating and asking questions . Good on him, and I give him credit for doing so . He's leaps and bounds above the other ones here who are scared to death to do what he has done .

Old 03-06-2016, 06:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Age apparently watched the video , and as far as I can tell is doing a little investigating and asking questions . Good on him, and I give him credit for doing so . He's leaps and bounds above the other ones here who are scared to death to do what he has done .
Yes some of his statements sounded silly but I think that they were simply naive. He has probably learnt more about science in the time he has been here than 3 or 4 others I have in their entire life.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:13 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Creationism/ID does not belong in the science classroom because by all objective standards it's not science.
The same can be said for evolution, you know.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:22 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yes some of his statements sounded silly but I think that they were simply naive. He has probably learnt more about science in the time he has been here than 3 or 4 others I have in their entire life.

He learned more in one minute than the guy in the post above will learn in his entire life .

Old 03-06-2016, 07:31 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You know, saying your fallacy 101 times does not make it true the 102nd time.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
He learned more in one minute than the guy in the post above will learn in his entire life .

Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Explain how so?

It's a Scientific Theory. That's about as scientific as it gets.

But sure go ahead and enlighten us as to how the Theory of Evolution is not science.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:16 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I would be interested in that response as well.

But Age-enduring strikes strikes me as an honest truth seeker - who was, and is hoping to remain - comfortable in his Christian-based beliefs but is willing to explore avenues that may require him to re-arrange certain aspects of them.

It's a path others have walked successfully - although none remained fundamentalists.

Good for them.
Well, thank you for the complement Trout. I have a Pentecostal background, and still would like to think that is my experience, but I'm much less constrained by doctrine and orthodoxy these days, because 'being told how something is' is not how God works - he uses something more sophisticated, which is understood to be the technical basis of hypnosis - a choice of options (free to choose) with a simultaneous command (not free) - "I set before you life and death - choose life". The technique induces trance states. I don't think of myself as a fundie anymore, but I err to choosing to listen to the still small voice of the Holy Spirit, than to man, or literal interpretation of words - doing so may put me on dangerous ground, but if following God conforms to "forgive them, for they know not what they do" then I am in the right place.

As to spiritual law, in Christian terms it would be the law of love, primarily of 'others before self'. That law fights against our nature, which is selfish - our nature is another law - the law of sin and death. Christ overcame death, and He can do that in us - not physical death, but spiritual death, which is the I, and me pleasing. It's an inner thing, that no science can measure.

I'm sorry for the experiences of all those who've tasted of church and had bad experiences. I've known a few people who were believers and are not know, but it's facile to turn from God because of experiences with mere people. life is bigger than that.

As to where I am up to with my reading there were 3 things one had to accept on the Wikipedia page of Evolution fact and theory - I'm not going to cite them, am only on a phone here. Two of them were fairly palatable - the one that is still awkward is common descent, because it doesn't have any comment about the vast difference between mankind and bonobo - which is for me, is the made in the image of God part. At least the first 3 or 4 days, if not all the days of creation have to be billions of years, which bares a ridiculous contrast to the 7000 years that the Bible subject matter covers (we are between the 6th and 7th days / thousand years, now). BUT, ..and here's the BUT, God may have just done it that way!, to show how ridiculous and small we all are compared with his greatness, and His perfect timing.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:00 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Well, thank you for the complement Trout. I have a Pentecostal background, and still would like to think that is my experience, but I'm much less constrained by doctrine and orthodoxy these days, because 'being told how something is' is not how God works - he uses something more sophisticated, which is understood to be the technical basis of hypnosis - a choice of options (free to choose) with a simultaneous command (not free) - "I set before you life and death - choose life". The technique induces trance states. I don't think of myself as a fundie anymore, but I err to choosing to listen to the still small voice of the Holy Spirit, than to man, or literal interpretation of words - doing so may put me on dangerous ground, but if following God conforms to "forgive them, for they know not what they do" then I am in the right place.

As to spiritual law, in Christian terms it would be the law of love, primarily of 'others before self'. That law fights against our nature, which is selfish - our nature is another law - the law of sin and death. Christ overcame death, and He can do that in us - not physical death, but spiritual death, which is the I, and me pleasing. It's an inner thing, that no science can measure.

I'm sorry for the experiences of all those who've tasted of church and had bad experiences. I've known a few people who were believers and are not know, but it's facile to turn from God because of experiences with mere people. life is bigger than that.

As to where I am up to with my reading there were 3 things one had to accept on the Wikipedia page of Evolution fact and theory - I'm not going to cite them, am only on a phone here. Two of them were fairly palatable - the one that is still awkward is common descent, because it doesn't have any comment about the vast difference between mankind and bonobo - which is for me, is the made in the image of God part. At least the first 3 or 4 days, if not all the days of creation have to be billions of years, which bares a ridiculous contrast to the 7000 years that the Bible subject matter covers (we are between the 6th and 7th days / thousand years, now). BUT, ..and here's the BUT, God may have just done it that way!, to show how ridiculous and small we all are compared with his greatness, and His perfect timing.
Though I disagree with the vast majority of this post, it is indeed thoughtful. To easily prove the highlighted test wrong, I can simply point to the vast number of unselfish and loving acts performed by non-Christians and non-believers. You've made this claim of the "spiritual law" as a fact, yet you have no way to demonstrate it or to test it. It seems this is simply a concept you would like to believe to justify what you were raised to believe.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Though I disagree with the vast majority of this post, it is indeed thoughtful. To easily prove the highlighted test wrong, I can simply point to the vast number of unselfish and loving acts performed by non-Christians and non-believers. You've made this claim of the "spiritual law" as a fact, yet you have no way to demonstrate it or to test it. It seems this is simply a concept you would like to believe to justify what you were raised to believe.
The whole of what you highlighted is the truth, regarding non physical spiritual components of our make-up, the extra things that mark us out from old bonobo.

I just received the following from my wife this morning - she copied and pasted it from her FB feed:

"It's impossible, " said pride. "It's risky, " said experience. "It's pointless, " said reason. "Give it a try," whispered the HEART. -unkown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.