Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 12:45 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times

Advertisements

I find the Universe much more interesting, fascinating, beautiful, and in many ways incomprehensible than anything here on Earth.

Thank YOU HUBBLE TELESCOPE!!!

The Universe is where we all came from. The atoms that we are made of came from exploding Stars.

The Universe inspires me and I feel deeply connected to it. Why wouldn't I? I am made from the Stars in the Universe.

Thank you Science and Thank YOU HUBBLE TELESCOPE!!! for helping humans of the 21st Century to know how fascinating and beautiful the Universe truly is.

HUBBLE Telescope brought this beautiful glimpse into the Universe to us. Supernova 1994D in Galaxy NGC 4526.

The bright star all alone in the lower left hand corner of the image is a "Standard Candle". These stars are called Cepheids and are used to measure the distances between Galaxies. Cepheids are Stars that have recently exploded and can help us understand how rapidly the Universe is expanding.

It's mind blowing to know that there are Billions of these Galaxies in our Milky Way not to mention over 100 Billion Galaxies throughout the rest of the Universe. If you want to find enlightenment...I suggest you study the Universe.

Quote:
Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is typical: it has hundreds of billions of stars, enough gas and dust to make billions more stars, and at least ten times as much dark matter as all the stars and gas put together. And it’s all held together by gravity.

Source: NASA
HubbleSite - Picture Album: Supernova 1994D in Galaxy NGC 4526

This Galaxy is about 60 Million Light Years away from us. A light year is how far light travels in a year.

Over a year, light travels 5.87849981 x 1012 miles (roughly 9.4605284 x 1012 kilometers.) Written out, that’s 5,878,499,810,000 miles or 9,460,528,400,000 kilometers.

It's fascinating that HUBBLE can bring back such beautiful photos from this insane distance. Thank you Hubble!

Attached Thumbnails
How many branches of science must a creationists reject...-universe.jpg  

Last edited by Matadora; 03-21-2016 at 02:14 AM..

Old 03-21-2016, 06:46 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
^ but all of that makes me feel small and insignificant, so it can't be true.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:47 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I used the word God for ease of communication. I could easily go look up some random Russian word and start using that, but then I have to explain why I was doing that.

Maybe this would be easier if I explain that I am a deist. I believe that there is something out there that we can't/won't ever understand, but I can't for the life of me tell you what that is.

All I am saying is that I believe something created existence. Whether that be the universe, a multiverse, parallel universes, a holographic universe; whatever the hell this is. I choose not to believe that this universe is here randomly.

Do you regard this unexplainable something to be sentient , aware, thinking , etc. , or to be some sort of nonthinking yet eternal creative process that constantly creates existence like some sort of cosmic existence volcano that sends out the essence of the universe sort of automatically ? Or are you more of a classic deist that believes this something got it all started and then sort of retired from the scene and is perhaps going about its business elsewhere , creating other universes or other existences ?

Old 03-22-2016, 02:25 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Perhaps it would be helpful to explain what is meant by 'falsifiable'. A definition of 'theory' at the same time might be in order. I'm thinking of an explanation/definition that lay people can comprehend (think in terms of deniers being able to understand).

P.S. Very good post, Matadora.
Sure. I posted a few times in the past explaining falsifiability.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/41246166-post20.html

Theory too. In the vernacular the usage is different than how it is used in science. This has been discussed so much in this forum. In the vernacular it is simply a some point on a scale of certainty. Maybe somewhere between guess and fact. In the scientific sense for the ideas such as Germ Theory, Atomic Theory, General Theory of Relativity (our current Theory of Gravity) and Theory of Evolution, it is an all-encompassing detailed explanation as to how something works. Other Theories that are also explanations the come to mind are Internal Combustion Engine Theory, even Music Theory. All these theories explain how each work. From the predictive power of these theories, you can build bombs, or engines, find intermediate fossils, develop antibiotics, or even write symphonies. That's a powerful tool. Since they are not a rung on some ladder of certainty, it doesn't change the term Theory to Fact when such theory is confirmed. The explanation is still the explanation. The Theory is the explanation for the field of study.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:51 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Thanks Pan Terra.

I was actually thinking of an explanation that simple folks with primitive concepts can understand. i.e. You're talking over their heads!

As Freak puts it;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
^ but all of that makes me feel small and insignificant, so it can't be true.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:32 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Thanks Pan Terra.

I was actually thinking of an explanation that simple folks with primitive concepts can understand. i.e. You're talking over their heads!

As Freak puts it;
Then they are out of luck.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I find it odd how so many act as if they have actually read the Origin of the Species and know exactly what it promoted or said.

The Origin of Species sold out on the first day of its publication in 1859. It is the major book of the 19th century and one of the most readable and accessible of the great revolutionary works of the scientific imagination.

Though, in fact, little read, most people know what it says—at least they think they do.

Instead of reading about him from creationist hate camp sites why not read exactly the words that he wrote? You will find that his words do not match any ideologies promoted by anti-Evolution folks.
I encountered such growing up in a fundie church. I knew personally of only 3 people, including myself, who admitted to actually reading it. And I had a very difficult time finding a copy of it.

But I encountered many (in church of course) who were self professed experts on the book , but would also admit that they had never read it, nor would they ever read it.

This type of ignorance helped drive me out of the church. To that s day, I have little tolerance for ignorance in the face of choice, and zero tolerance for hypocrisy.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I encountered such growing up in a fundie church. I knew personally of only 3 people, including myself, who admitted to actually reading it. And I had a very difficult time finding a copy of it.

But I encountered many (in church of course) who were self professed experts on the book , but would also admit that they had never read it, nor would they ever read it.

This type of ignorance helped drive me out of the church. To that s day, I have little tolerance for ignorance in the face of choice, and zero tolerance for hypocrisy.
I am so thankful that I never grew up going to a fundamental church.

I agree...it's pretty difficult to tolerate those who chose ignorance in the age of information technology...I also have no tolerance for hypocrisy.

Fundies are a disgrace to humanity...they have done nothing good and all harm.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I find the Universe much more interesting, fascinating, beautiful, and in many ways incomprehensible than anything here on Earth.

Thank YOU HUBBLE TELESCOPE!!!

The Universe is where we all came from. The atoms that we are made of came from exploding Stars.

The Universe inspires me and I feel deeply connected to it. Why wouldn't I? I am made from the Stars in the Universe.

Thank you Science and Thank YOU HUBBLE TELESCOPE!!! for helping humans of the 21st Century to know how fascinating and beautiful the Universe truly is.

HUBBLE Telescope brought this beautiful glimpse into the Universe to us. Supernova 1994D in Galaxy NGC 4526.

The bright star all alone in the lower left hand corner of the image is a "Standard Candle". These stars are called Cepheids and are used to measure the distances between Galaxies. Cepheids are Stars that have recently exploded and can help us understand how rapidly the Universe is expanding.

It's mind blowing to know that there are Billions of these Galaxies in our Milky Way not to mention over 100 Billion Galaxies throughout the rest of the Universe. If you want to find enlightenment...I suggest you study the Universe.

HubbleSite - Picture Album: Supernova 1994D in Galaxy NGC 4526

This Galaxy is about 60 Million Light Years away from us. A light year is how far light travels in a year.

Over a year, light travels 5.87849981 x 1012 miles (roughly 9.4605284 x 1012 kilometers.) Written out, that’s 5,878,499,810,000 miles or 9,460,528,400,000 kilometers.

It's fascinating that HUBBLE can bring back such beautiful photos from this insane distance. Thank you Hubble!
I get flabbergasted when I see the moon and a handful of stars. I practically get dizzy looking at some of the Hubble photos.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I get flabbergasted when I see the moon and a handful of stars. I practically get dizzy looking at some of the Hubble photos.
Me too! I get the most peaceful feeling looking up at the night sky. It's that connect to the Cosmos that we have due to be made up of the atoms from exploding stars. Those atoms long to be back in the Cosmos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality