Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Here I'll contribute:

#1 - it is the most successful path to a happy peaceful life.

#2 - You are no longer a slave to death. Ex. a pastor once got held up at gunpoint and the shooter threaten to kill him. Completely void of fear, the pastor boldly told the shooter, well go ahead if you must, I'll just see heaven a lot sooner!

All your post shows is that you believe it, not that it is true or not. Do you not think that any non Christians or non believers have ever stood up and faced down a potential shooter?

But you have not answered why is it that marriage could have been viewed differently in Biblical times when it comes to things like David's marriage and yet you hold steadfast that marriage is traditional from the Bible? And you repeatedly claim that we cannot judge what happened back then because things were different but why cannot we judge that the reason for being against homosexuality was different back then too?

It comes off as the Bible is inerrant and rigid except when it needs to be flexible to defend it from what it states. It should be either it is rigid or it is not I think, not that it is rigid when it suits you but flexible when it does not.

No I do not know the Bible but I do want to understand how you rational the defence you are putting forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
All your post shows is that you believe it, not that it is true or not. Do you not think that any non Christians or non believers have ever stood up and faced down a potential shooter?

But you have not answered why is it that marriage could have been viewed differently in Biblical times when it comes to things like David's marriage and yet you hold steadfast that marriage is traditional from the Bible? And you repeatedly claim that we cannot judge what happened back then because things were different but why cannot we judge that the reason for being against homosexuality was different back then too?

It comes off as the Bible is inerrant and rigid except when it needs to be flexible to defend it from what it states. It should be either it is rigid or it is not I think, not that it is rigid when it suits you but flexible when it does not.

No I do not know the Bible but I do want to understand how you rational the defence you are putting forth.
There ya go with all that pesky logic! Unfortunately, it will not be heard by Jeff.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That would be plausible if there was any indication that the women wanted to sleep with David's enemy, and the god washed his hands of them, allowing them to do so. But that's not what the passage says; it clearly states that god would give the women over to David's enemy, not that the women would give themselves over to him.

The other side of give is take. The women were taken away from David. You have no proof that rape occurred here. They could have freely given themselves to David's son since his son had the power and control at that point. All you are doing is reading into the words what you want it to say without even looking at the full context. It didn't happen. God didn't come down and take control over the mind of other men and force rape to happen. It was a chain of events done out of the free will of sinful men..

Quote:

Plus, if these women were concubines and having sex with other men was customary, how is that any sort of shocking punishment if it's what they ordinarily did? In actuality it wasn't customary: concubines joined the "harem" as virgins, and the whole point to being a concubine was to avoid prostitution for survival. But again, the question keeps coming back to: why deliberately punish and publicly humiliate this group of women, when there is no indication that they were even tangentially a part of David's sin?

The shocking punishment is David lost pretty much everything as a result of his sin. He lost his power, his family and respect of the people. The lesson is here how sexual sin is so destructive yet we still do it generation after generation. Take Bill Clinton for example. The most powerful man in America and he still could not keep his sexual sin hidden. He was publically shamed just like David.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
How can YOU attack something YOU don't believe in to begin with? You and others sure put effort into doing it. Why does He threaten you so much? What has He done to YOU? Why you scared of something, you say ain't real? Why you here? What do you gain by being here? What is it your spreading?

Oxymoron's searching for self justification of something they don't believe in to start with.

Why?
2 Sam.12:
[11] Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of this sun.
[12] For thou didst it secretly: but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun.

It seems the more important thing here is that you chose to attack Cupper, rather rather then deplore the passage in 2 Sam. The problem isn't that Cupper doesn't believe any of it, the problem is that YOU DO! And accept it as Godly. I notice that God didn't make this statement at all. The author of 2 Sam. made this statement. And yet you, in the throes of your make believe, would give these verses the force of being God's will. But not everyone is a sheep you see.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
The other side of give is take. The women were taken away from David. You have no proof that rape occurred here. They could have freely given themselves to David's son since his son had the power and control at that point. All you are doing is reading into the words what you want it to say without even looking at the full context. It didn't happen. God didn't come down and take control over the mind of other men and force rape to happen. It was a chain of events done out of the free will of sinful men..
No Jeff, the trouble is that I can't ignore the context. These women wouldn't have the right to give themselves freely to anyone, as women were placed strictly under the authority of their husbands or fathers. And again, there is zero indication that they were in any way looking to do so; that one minor detail is quite important to how the story is perceived. That's the problem: their consent is evidently irrelevant.

Quote:
The shocking punishment is David lost pretty much everything as a result of his sin. He lost his power, his family and respect of the people. The lesson is here how sexual sin is so destructive yet we still do it generation after generation. Take Bill Clinton for example. The most powerful man in America and he still could not keep his sexual sin hidden. He was publically shamed just like David.
Ah, great example! Did anyone call to have Hilary, or heck, even Monica and Gennifer, turned over to Bill's enemies to be used in public as a human fleshlight? Nope, it was Bill himself who was put on trial for his actions.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Did anyone call to have Hilary, or heck, even Monica and Gennifer, turned over to Bill's enemies to be used in public as a human fleshlight?
I think you meant "flashlight" but I think you just invented my favorite new word ...

Old 03-09-2016, 10:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think you meant "flashlight" but I think you just invented my favorite new word ...
Hehe, no it actually is fleshlight. It's a particular type of... self-pleasuring device... marketed toward men

Old 03-09-2016, 11:03 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Hehe, no it actually is fleshlight. It's a particular type of... self-pleasuring device... marketed toward men
I googled it.....All I can say is Ewwwww gross.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
I was wondering if you meant to write "fleshlight" given the context, or if it was a typo.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:18 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
No Jeff, the trouble is that I can't ignore the context. These women wouldn't have the right to give themselves freely to anyone, as women were placed strictly under the authority of their husbands or fathers. And again, there is zero indication that they were in any way looking to do so; that one minor detail is quite important to how the story is perceived. That's the problem: their consent is evidently irrelevant.
And again, there is zero indication that rape is occurring here. Not very nice to make great accusations against God without having all the facts.

Quote:

Ah, great example! Did anyone call to have Hilary, or heck, even Monica and Gennifer, turned over to Bill's enemies to be used in public as a human fleshlight? Nope, it was Bill himself who was put on trial for his actions.
Other people like Monica suffered consequences because of Bill's actions, but hey that's God's fault, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality