Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 12:12 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I guess one may consider leaving the country or state when there is a law that makes it mandatory for everyone to have gay or lesbian sex.

And you never know, it might just happen since we live in a democracy.

A majority can pass a law to make it mandatory for everyone to be either a gay or a lesbian. What you gonna do about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How idiotic.
You're being too kind, Trout...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A business owner has complete control over what products and services it offers. BUT what ever products or services they CHOOSE to offer must be offered to all.
If the business has issues with selling something then they have the CHOICE to not offer that item for sale.
Agreed. And if a business decides they do not want to sell cakes specifically designed for a gay wedding, they can choose not to do so if they want.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Agreed. And if a business decides they do not want to sell cakes specifically designed for a gay wedding, they can choose not to do so if they want.
Then the gay couple can just order a straight wedding cake. No problem

Unless the business decides that they will not sell ANY wedding cake to the gay couple as they have done in both cases so far.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then the gay couple can just order a straight wedding cake. No problem
Good enough.
Quote:
Unless the business decides that they will not sell ANY wedding cake to the gay couple as they have done in both cases so far.
I haven't seen that, I'm sorry. I think you've got your facts wrong.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Good enough.

I haven't seen that, I'm sorry. I think you've got your facts wrong.
Try reading the case documents. Both masterpiece cake shoppe, and sweet cakes by melissa said that they would not sell the couples ANY cake for their wedding.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:51 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
How does one "design a cake specifically for a gay wedding"? Put two grooms/brides on top? By putting gay sayings all over it?

A cake is a cake Vizio. It is really very simple. If they ask for a 3 tier white wedding cake with flowers on it, the cake could be for ANY wedding. Unless the cake has something "gay" on it, it is just a wedding cake. In other words, if you sell wedding cakes, then be prepared to sell wedding cakes to gay couples. Why is this so hard for you guys to understand?

Is your God so small and petty that he cares whether or not you sell a cake to a happy gay couple? Thinking this way is just sad and pathetic.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:42 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
AS the question is still unanswered in other threads I thought I would start an entirely new one for the question.

1) Should religious people be allowed to ignore laws they think are against their religious beliefs

2)If the answer is yes should there be a law that committs to these passes or should it be up to the indivdual to decide

3)Are there only certain laws that this should be allowed for

4) as it has been argued that employees, employers and elected officials should be able to ignore laws they disagree with, would there be a limit to how far down in command this pass could be extended

5) if religious exemptions are allowed are they extended to all religions.

Of course these questions have been raised due to the thought of some on this forum that Christians should be allowed to ignore laws designed to protect the equal rights of homosexuals in the field of marriage, but it has never been explained if it is for this single issue or for all relgious beliefs. If it is for just the one single issue that does not explain why it should be allowed when other laws may also be considered to go against religious beliefs.

I am not looking for this thread to be filled with examples of businsses being forced to do something the owner does not agree with but for each poster to explain their stance on the topic and why they have that particular stance.
I was going to try to answer, but I think I'll hold off until you can give me an example of a law a religious person would feel he doesn't need to obey. When I see where you're going with this, I'll throw in my two cents worth.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:59 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I was going to try to answer, but I think I'll hold off until you can give me an example of a law a religious person would feel he doesn't need to obey. When I see where you're going with this, I'll throw in my two cents worth.
I know I am not the Op, but the main one is anti discrimination laws. Many people on this site seem to think they should be able to just willy nilly discriminate against anyone they so choose, because of their religion.

Last edited by southernbored; 03-11-2016 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 03:06 PM

Here's the thing, anyone can create any "religious beliefs" they want so basically if we allowed religious exemption from following laws then all laws would be voided.

I can create a church tomorrow that would mandate me to disregard speed limits, or not pay taxes, or raise pigs in a residential neighborhood. Should I ba allowed to do those things because it is my "religious belief"?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How idiotic.

I think it may well qualify as the most idiotic post ever .

And that's saying a LOT in a forum Eusie posts in regularly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality