Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM

174 posts, read 190,200 times

Advertisements

Weak, illogical, and poorly written responses. I hope you activate your critical thinking capacities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 02:24 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minougirl View Post
Weak, illogical, and poorly written responses. I hope you activate your critical thinking capacities.
I didn't bother answering at all for the simple reason that your questions didn't come across to be as a sincere interest in gaining new information. I've learned over the years that you can't take all "questions" at face value.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
I have some questions for you:

1) Why subscribe to the doctrine if any holy book (which significantly contradicts scientific facts) given a paucity of evidence? And why hasn't God provided any verifiable evidence of himself to make this easier? I've heard some respond to this by saying it gives value to faith, but if there is such value in blind faith, why not believe in all ridiculous (from a logical point of view) systems of belief and things that run counter to science, just in case they are true? If you are religious and believe there is one true religious belief system, how do you know your religion is the right one?

2) If God is omnipotent and benevolent, why is there so much abysmal death and suffering, particularly experienced by innocents?

3) On a similar note, why does prayer seem to work sometimes, but not other times, such as parents' prayer over their dying child?

4) If the world is so incredible that it must have been created by intelligent design, i.e., by God, then who created God?

5) Since essentially all religious people cherry pick which verses they abide by, but do not abide by others, why not just throw out the book and make decisions according to their own moral judgment, period?
This must be the 1000th thread with this type of questioning. I would suggest using the search function to find your answers.

Quote:
If you are sincere in your questions, why ridicule and insult those who took the time to answer? (BTW, your post has a few grammatical errors which I felt needed to be pointed out since you felt responses were "poorly written".)

Last edited by Mr5150; 03-22-2016 at 05:09 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 05:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:

1) Why subscribe to the doctrine if any holy book (which significantly contradicts scientific facts) given a paucity of evidence?
There is plenty of evidence to believe in God. You may not agree--but you obviously haven't SEEN all the evidence, or any evidence that convinces you.
Quote:

And why hasn't God provided any verifiable evidence of himself to make this easier? I've heard some respond to this by saying it gives value to faith, but if there is such value in blind faith, why not believe in all ridiculous (from a logical point of view) systems of belief and things that run counter to science, just in case they are true?
He created the universe. He has spoken to men and inspired 66 different books to be written about him. He became a human being and walked the earth. I honestly doubt you'd reject anything else he did.
Quote:

If you are religious and believe there is one true religious belief system, how do you know your religion is the right one?
Because God said it. He has gifted me with faith.
Quote:
2) If God is omnipotent and benevolent, why is there so much abysmal death and suffering, particularly experienced by innocents?
Why would you suggest that omnipotence and benevolence automatically results in the elimination of pain and suffering? He also gives man the freedom to make choices which result in those things.
Quote:

3) On a similar note, why does prayer seem to work sometimes but not other times, such as parents' prayer over their dying child?
That depends on what you mean by "work". Why would one assume that for prayer to "work" it would mean that we get our desired outcome? Maybe the Creator of the universe says "no".
Quote:
4) If the world is so incredible that it must have been created by intelligent design, i.e., by God, then who created God?
No one. He is eternal. He has always existed -- and was here before time and space were created.
Quote:
5) Since essentially all religious people cherry pick which verses they abide by but do not abide by others, why not just throw out the book and make decisions according to their own moral judgment, period?
I'm sorry. I don't cherry pick verses from the Bible. I believe the whole bible.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
...snip...

I'm sorry. I don't cherry pick verses from the Bible. I believe the whole bible.
Which is what prevents you from becoming all that you can be.

And will ultimately consign you and your ilk to a tiny footnote in history.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:45 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

And will ultimately consign you and your ilk to a tiny footnote in history.
The problem with your line of thinking is the 2000 year old (and counting) track record of Christanty. Your hope that this religion will just fade away in a 100 years, but current trends say otherwise.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He created the universe. He has spoken to men and inspired 66 different books to be written about him. He became a human being and walked the earth.

Because God said it. He has gifted me with faith.
Hang on! Where did you get that from? Where in the ancient 66 different books inspired by God does it say this? God DID NOT create the universe! The bible is literal remember? If it says so then it is so but if it does not say then by the same reasoning, it isn't so.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
1) Why subscribe to the doctrine if any holy book (which significantly contradicts scientific facts) given a paucity of evidence? And why hasn't God provided any verifiable evidence of himself to make this easier? I've heard some respond to this by saying it gives value to faith, but if there is such value in blind faith, why not believe in all ridiculous (from a logical point of view) systems of belief and things that run counter to science, just in case they are true? If you are religious and believe there is one true religious belief system, how do you know your religion is the right one?
3) On a similar note, why does prayer seem to work sometimes but not other times, such as parents' prayer over their dying child?
5) Since essentially all religious people cherry pick which verses they abide by but do not abide by others, why not just throw out the book and make decisions according to their own moral judgment, period?
1. Why do you care? My beliefs do not affect your life.
2. Free will, you know that thing that you are using to ask these questions.
3. As a parent do you always say yes to your child?
4. God is God, no one needed to create
5. Since essentially all non religious people cherry pick which verses they question but do not question others, why not just throw out all the non religious and have less attempts at disparaging one for their own beliefs.
For the record what I believe only reflects my belief and does not affect anyone else so those beliefs are right for me.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The problem with your line of thinking is the 2000 year old (and counting) track record of Christanty. Your hope that this religion will just fade away in a 100 years, but current trends say otherwise.
My prediction isn't the for the end of Christianity.

It's for the end of the fundamentalist version(s) of same.

They/you are doomed to extinction within a couple of generations. Apart from a few inconsequential sects in remote areas which will soon inbreed and die anyway.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:

I could tell you but I can see from your response to those who answered you that you have already made up your mind as to what you believe. So your question was not to learn from any of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality