Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 AM

261 posts, read 156,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Imagine I am asked by my employer to plan a company picnic. I inform my employer that I am a vegetarian, and have been for years due to ethical objections to meat. My employer then tells me that he wants barbecue at the picnic, and if I don't arrange for it I'll be fired. In this case, I have no legal recourse (as far as I know) because my belief is not a religious belief. However, had I been unwilling to arrange for barbecue at the picnic due to a religious objection, my employer would have been required by law to make a reasonable accommodation.

Why should religious beliefs get special treatment? I am not asking for a legal explanation, as I'm well aware that the bill of rights affords us freedom of religion. I am rather asking if this distinction is justified, and if so, why? I highly doubt that most religious folks hold their beliefs more dearly than I hold my own ethical beliefs -- why should their beliefs get more protection?

In broader society, there is a tendency to be more polite about religious eccentricities than non-religious eccentricities. For example, if I were to wear a funny hat simply because I think such hats look good, some people would possibly feel comfortable laughing at me, and in a somewhat lighthearted manner, tell me I'm an idiot. If I wear a funny hat because I believe some person a thousand years ago was the son of a deity (I'm making this up, not intending a particular religion) and commanded his followers to wear a funny hat, suddenly my belief is beyond reproach, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I have any warrant for holding such an absurd religious belief.
Religion should definitely not get any special treatment. It is only mere belief without anything to substantiate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
So far, nothing from Vizio on whether the chef should be fired for not serving gays.

Just crickets.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So far, nothing from Vizio on whether the chef should be fired for not serving gays.

Just crickets.
Just like the silence on when they 'chose' to be straight.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Since all religions are created by man, why not just create your own religion? That way you could claim religious exemption for anything you wanted.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:53 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
There would be a budget. Start interviewing event planners. Tell them what you wish, and leave it to them.

Any time I do not wish to cook for, or plan a party I hire someone else to do it. There is never any stress when you hire an event planner.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:37 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The most curious social convention of the great age in which we live is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected.
— H L Mencken

We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.
— H L Mencken
I've never heard of Mencken, but I'm a fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
There would be a budget. Start interviewing event planners. Tell them what you wish, and leave it to them.

Any time I do not wish to cook for, or plan a party I hire someone else to do it. There is never any stress when you hire an event planner.
I think you missed the point. Why should I, the employee, have to hire an event planner to accommodate my beliefs when a religious person would not have to?

Old 03-24-2016, 02:19 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
I've never heard of Mencken, but I'm a fan!

I think you missed the point. Why should I, the employee, have to hire an event planner to accommodate my beliefs when a religious person would not have to?
It is part of the party budget. The pre-arranged party budget includes event planning. There are no out of pocket cost to you.

Your comparisons are a bit silly. I simply seek a logical solution to your made up problem.

And, to put in a good word for event planners.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:49 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It is part of the party budget. The pre-arranged party budget includes event planning. There are no out of pocket cost to you.

Your comparisons are a bit silly. I simply seek a logical solution to your made up problem.

And, to put in a good word for event planners.
I don't think you get to change the stipulations of the scenario I presented. Imagine I am asked to plan this sort of picnic by my boss, and my boss says there is no funding for an event planner. If I don't plan the event myself, which includes arranging for barbecue, I could be fired.

How is my comparison a bit silly? It is certainly true that religious beliefs get legal protection that other deeply-held beliefs don't.

The logical solution is to stop treating religious beliefs as though they are special beliefs.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Imagine I am asked by my employer to plan a company picnic. I inform my employer that I am a vegetarian, and have been for years due to ethical objections to meat. My employer then tells me that he wants barbecue at the picnic, and if I don't arrange for it I'll be fired. In this case, I have no legal recourse (as far as I know) because my belief is not a religious belief. However, had I been unwilling to arrange for barbecue at the picnic due to a religious objection, my employer would have been required by law to make a reasonable accommodation.

Why should religious beliefs get special treatment? I am not asking for a legal explanation, as I'm well aware that the bill of rights affords us freedom of religion. I am rather asking if this distinction is justified, and if so, why? I highly doubt that most religious folks hold their beliefs more dearly than I hold my own ethical beliefs -- why should their beliefs get more protection?

In broader society, there is a tendency to be more polite about religious eccentricities than non-religious eccentricities. For example, if I were to wear a funny hat simply because I think such hats look good, some people would possibly feel comfortable laughing at me, and in a somewhat lighthearted manner, tell me I'm an idiot. If I wear a funny hat because I believe some person a thousand years ago was the son of a deity (I'm making this up, not intending a particular religion) and commanded his followers to wear a funny hat, suddenly my belief is beyond reproach, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I have any warrant for holding such an absurd religious belief.
The Religious Beliefs are treated differently because of their vast power and influence.
Power and influence much greater than any other beliefs.
The power of popularity and the majority gives them "mojo" not held by other minor and less popular beliefs.
Power, Influence, and Epic Acceptance & Popularity....THAT is why they get the treatment they do.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:27 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The Religious Beliefs are treated differently because of their vast power and influence.
Power and influence much greater than any other beliefs.
The power of popularity and the majority gives them "mojo" not held by other minor and less popular beliefs.
Power, Influence, and Epic Acceptance & Popularity....THAT is why they get the treatment they do.
I think GldnRule has nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality