Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Oh yes, a blog about James Bond movies is where I go for ALL my reputable news!

Where are all the other people talking about this stuff? The director didn't even say anything about seeing something other than the hand, in a picture (Which could have been altered). A truck moved by itself and a truck burst into flames.... Was it the same truck, or two different trucks? If it was the same truck, then obviously there was something wrong with the truck.

All you are doing is desperately searching for anything to throw a cloak of skepticism on the whole story.
Yea sure, they could all be liars and making up the story, but what's the probability of that given they had nothing to gain from doing so? All you are doing is showing me how you can reject ANY evidence presented by simply saying they are lying. I can present a story of miracle healing backed up with photos of lab tests and testimony from the doctor saying it was a miracle, and all you have to do is say the photos were faked and the doctor is lying. It is IMPOSSIBLE to prove anything to people like you. ANYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post

Do you believe that people who see Bigfoot are telling the truth, and therefore Bigfoot is real? What about aliens? Ghosts? Demons? What about people who see apparitions at their house? Do you really take something like this flaming hand at face value? Do you really see this as some kind of evidence for your specific God? If so, please explain how this is evidence of anything of the sort.
I don't immediately discount their claims or assume they are liars. There is certainly enough evidence out there to at least suggest the possibility that such things exist, but you won't even consider this. The only thing real to you is what you experience personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You see the unknown as proof of the supernatural. I don't. It's a fundamental difference between you and I.

People report "weird" stuff all the time. I attribute most of it as people wanting to get noticed. The rest I simply see as the unknown. I don't fall for the "I don't understand it, therefore it's supernatural" fallacy.
Then never ask me for evidence again. You just showed how you can make it impossible to prove the supernatural. That's a closed mind.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:05 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
All you are doing is desperately searching for anything to throw a cloak of skepticism on the whole story.
Yea sure, they could all be liars and making up the story, but what's the probability of that given they had nothing to gain from doing so? All you are doing is showing me how you can reject ANY evidence presented by simply saying they are lying. I can present a story of miracle healing backed up with photos of lab tests and testimony from the doctor saying it was a miracle, and all you have to do is say the photos were faked and the doctor is lying. It is IMPOSSIBLE to prove anything to people like you. ANYTHING.

I don't immediately discount their claims or assume they are liars. There is certainly enough evidence out there to at least suggest the possibility that such things exist, but you won't even consider this. The only thing real to you is what you experience personally.

Correction: You don't discount their claims and assume they are liars if they are Christian. if they are non believers you do it all the time.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Then never ask me for evidence again. You just showed how you can make it impossible to prove the supernatural. That's a closed mind.
You can't prove it if you can't take it into a lab for analysis. There can be any number of natural explanations for "miracles" but without the ability to study one there can be no real evidence to support them.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Ok, fine. You win.

The flaming hand, the truck, and everything else are clear evidence for the existence of the Muslim God.

I will convert to Islam immediately.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:21 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's a fire. That sort of looks like a hand.
Am I the only one not seeing anything remotely like a hand in the picture?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times
Quote:
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.... I am not calling anyone a liar. I am saying that there is no people talking about seeing those things, at least not that I have seen or you have presented. Some guy on a blog saying people said something isn't the same as having evidence people said it. Present me some evidence that there were multiple people who saw these things, and why it could not have been anything other than the supernatural, and we will talk. Fact is, the flaming hand is simply not evidence. You have 1 photo, which could have been manipulated, and a blog saying people saw some stuff...

Seriously man, is this all it takes for you to believe in something? Or is only if you can somehow use that something to validate your beliefs?

Quote:
I don't discount their claims either. In fact, I love reading about and watching shows about those things. I think there very well could be some things that happen in our world that we simply don't understand. The difference in you and I, is simply that I do not read a story about people seeing a ghost and think, "Goddunit!"

So maybe you should direct your statement to someone other than myself... such as yourself... since you are unwilling to entertain anything that doesn't conform to your preconceived beliefs.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Why would the film crew even bother reporting if it is a perfectly natural occurrence? Did you even read the article? They saw apparitions and vehicles driving off by themselves. Oh perfectly natural in your dismissive world huh? There is NOTHING that will phase you obviously.

James Bond Movies: Licence to Kill - The Flaming Hand @ Universal Exports, The Home of James Bond, 007
What speed where the movie frames shot at? Most films shoot at 24 frames/second. There is a reason for high speed cameras, and that is to capture what ordinary movie cameras (back when they used film, not digital) missed.

Simple, Occam's Razor explanation is the still camera took a picture at a moment that the film camera didn't. No supernatural need to be involved.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
You have not offered even on of your "100 proofs of god" to anyone on this board, believer or not. Out west, we refer to that as Bovine Scat flinging.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:15 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What speed where the movie frames shot at? Most films shoot at 24 frames/second. There is a reason for high speed cameras, and that is to capture what ordinary movie cameras (back when they used film, not digital) missed.

Simple, Occam's Razor explanation is the still camera took a picture at a moment that the film camera didn't. No supernatural need to be involved.
High speed cameras like the Phantom can go up to one million frames per second. I had never shot more than 12000 fps of explosions and you are right you see things that you could never capture with a still camera. A fast shutter speed in a still camera might be 1/8000 of a second.

An open mind would look at that photo and try to explain how could that happen. Once one claims the supernatural that is the end of inquiry and does not really offer any explanation. If in seeking out an explanation and none comes up then it is unexplained and will remain unexplained until some other person can find the reason based on new evidence, new ways of examining the existing evidence or a new set of looking at things. Supernatural just says we cannot know , end of case, end of inquiry. For some of us we would rather go knowing that we currently do not know what happened or how that to just say it must be supernatural. And even if we leave it as unexplained and think that maybe it might just be supernatural it would not mean any one's god or demon. If you take it as a sign of God it could be any one of the thousands of gods or goddesses or demons or angels that man has claimed or even one that no one ever even thought about.

I don't know what it is therefore proof of my God is not an example of an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality