Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 07:59 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,731,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Grass is one of the easiest and abundant plant life on earth. Jeff, can a person survive on a diet of grass?
Grass serves many purposes such as playing a role in creating oxygen and preventing dust storms. Also it feeds some animals. You really think it would be a good idea to have everyone eating up the grass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:00 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Then we do not have free will since what others do can override what we wish/what our will would have been.
We have a free will, and so do others. You can try to be clever and spin in however you want to. Neither you nor I can figure this stuff out. We can either accept that God is in charge and trust Him, or we can be confused and try aimlessly to figure the world out.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If you won't, or can't, figure God out then how can you know anything about this God? How do you know that he is good, kind, and forgiving? Maybe your experiences with him was only a ruse to trick you into doing what he wants. Since you can't figure him out then you have no way of knowing. Maybe Satan is the good one. Then, if you can't know anything about this God, why in the world would you "trust him completely"?
I know what my experience with Him is. You can choose not to believe, but my experience with Him is more trusting and loving and powerful than anything I could possibly compare it to.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:06 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
They most likely died from starvation because man is sinful and won't follow God's word. Just think how our society would change if millions of Americans donated just one day and one dollar a month to the needy and hungry? It would be an instant revolution.

God's not going to force people to do good things. He won't violate free will. And that makes Him a good God.
Why do you give the creator of all, including creating sinfull men who will keep food from children so that 20000 CHILDREN die each and every day, a free pass Jeff?

Why doesn't jesus do something to correct this godly atrocity Jeff?

You do think 20000 children dying of starvation each and everyday is an atrocity, don't you Jeff?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Why did god sign off on free will if it knew it wouldn't give it the outcome it desired in its creations?

Omni-god was aware how free will will completely screw up everything, right bryan85?

Is there any passage in the bible that says god was please with creating free will?
God gives us a free will because he wants us to come to Him of our our own choosing. Beside this,I will not attempt to explain anything else to someone that seems very angry with God- if you believe at all. That is something you will have to work out.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Grass serves many purposes such as playing a role in creating oxygen and preventing dust storms. Also it feeds some animals. You really think it would be a good idea to have everyone eating up the grass?
Really Jeff? Why wouldn't God make something that is abundant in the world not nutritious enough to to prevent 20000 children from dying each and every day?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
God gives us a free will because he wants us to come to Him of our our own choosing. Beside this,I will not attempt to explain anything else to someone that seems very angry with God- if you believe at all. That is something you will have to work out.
typical 'you ask hard questions so I'm taking my ball and going home' reply.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:44 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,731,237 times
Quote:
Why do you give the creator of all, including creating sinfull men who will keep food from children so that 20000 CHILDREN die each and every day, a free pass Jeff?

Why doesn't jesus do something to correct this godly atrocity Jeff?

You do think 20000 children dying of starvation each and everyday is an atrocity, don't you Jeff?
Brick wall...sigh

Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Brick wall...sigh
Pot black..

Old 04-27-2016, 12:06 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
So why is it God's fault that people are starving?
The part of this post in blue is really the most important part, in my opinion, and I wanted to draw some attention to it even if you, the reader, decide not to read the rest of it.

I can't help but notice the image of God that you've built in your mind, Jeff. You ask the question of why is it God's fault that people are starving. My question to you ... and to your God is: Does it matter?

The point is that people are starving. Unfortunately, the attitude you portray with your God is essentially the same attitude far too many Christians display at the ballot box ("It's not MY fault that people in America are poor, sick, disabled, or need access to health care; why should MY tax dollars have to pay for it?")

Thus we have a God who would stand amid an African village and watch children with distended stomachs covered with flies ... and do nothing because, after all, it's not HIS fault that those children are starving.

To a truly good, moral, and compassionate being -- a being with the power to help -- would the first inclination be to shrug one's shoulders and say, "It's not MY fault!"?

Therefore, would the best answer to the charge that God does nothing for starving children be, "Well, it's not God's fault they're starving."?

Do you REALLY think that's even worthy of your keystrokes? Of course God never does anything on the opposite end, either. Those who created a system whereby people starve are never punished, either. There is no poetic justice, no deterrent to committing heinous acts of callousness toward our human brothers and sisters -- not even threats of eternal damnation are powerful enough considering the nature of large scale American Christianity.

Given our religiosity, America should be a beacon of hope and compassion for all those who are downtrodden but instead we are seen by other Western nations as harsh, barbaric, even cruel in the way our systems treat our own fellow countrymen and the utter contempt the poor and disabled are viewed by the more fortunate.

It's no wonder why our nation lags so far behind in so many ways. I can only sigh sadly at the number of American Christians who leave a store with their chests puffed out and their heads held high because they shoved some coins -- change they didn't want anyway -- into a charity can at a cash register before going to the voting booth to vote for the guy who wants to completely dismantle the Affordable Care Act leaving untold millions without access to decent health care. But ... but ... they're good people! They gave 63 cents to help 8 year-old Cindy pay for a kidney transplant. Yeah? Well, maybe if you didn't worship a God who stands over starving children and says, "It's not MY fault!" little Cindy wouldn't have to worry about paying for her operation in the first place.

The rest is just my goofballing around to show how, yes, God can be blamed for starvation.

So, I will present to you the God's trifecta of blame.

Reason 1: God placed us on a planet barely suited for human habitation. When you subtract all of the oceans, seas, lakes, inlets, lagoons, ponds, rivers, streams, and rivulets, humanity isn't left with much of the earth's surface. Then we must subtract deserts, arctic and tundra zones (look at how much of Canada and Russia are unusable), most of the tropics, mountainous and hilly regions, valleys and canyons, arid "in between" areas like the Australian outback, savannas, wetlands, swamps, glades, steppes, high altitude land (i.e. the Altiplano in western South America and most of the country of Tibet), and, well, the list goes on. After that, we have to subtract the land where humans will actually live PLUS all of the land we plan to leave pristine so that we don't wreck the climate and drive every animal to extinction.

Which means ... sooner or later, the planet will be tapped out in terms of just how many people it can support without starvation. Perhaps if God had created an ecosystem where the tropics were just as agriculturally friendly as the Great Plains, the regions where starvation and famines are rampant would instead be self-sufficient.

Reason 2: Religions of all types -- including Christianity -- has given humanity direct orders to thoughtlessly procreate without taking heed of overpopulation, urban sprawl, resource depletion, pollution, and, most importantly for this discussion, without having any understanding of just how many people a particular piece of land can support.

No, I don't want to hear any excuses about how "they didn't know anything about urban sprawl" back then or how "resource depletion" wasn't a problem during the Bronze Age. Because the Bible is supposed to be timeless ... but guess what: It isn't. Which is why we still have a rather numerous selection of cultures built upon the backs of religions that even today continue to have excessively large families. Thus our population continues to explode putting a billion more people on the planet every decade or so -- and that time interval continues to shrink.

Just look what is happening to the Amazon Forest if you want a clear and horrifying example of just what I'm talking about ... a sad testimonial to humanity's continued spread across the world even into places that were once as mysterious and unknowable as the dark side of the Moon. Pretty soon, there will be nothing but concrete and condominiums where once stood a vibrant ecosystem that contained more life and diversity of life in one square meter than a human city possesses in a square mile.

Oh yeah ... God and his religion can easily be blamed for the type of planet we're inhabiting and for issuing reckless decrees such as "be fruitful and multiply" which has given many people in the Western world license to fill the world with people until the continents themselves sink with our weight. Good ol' religion. Even when looking our own self-destruction in the eye, many will continue to stupidly and robotically follow the Bible by having a "quiverful" of children.

Reason 3: This last reason is most directly linked to God if you believe that God created us. It is also the simplest one to explain.

God was gracious enough to not only make our desire to procreate -- i.e. our sex drive -- one of the most powerful and irresistible urges human beings have, he also thought it would be really cute to ensure that our sex drive was active every minute of every day of every month of every year from puberty until death. Other animals have rutting periods but not humans. Nope. We want it all the time. So much so, in fact, that sex has become, perhaps, our greatest cultural preoccupation.

It just makes it hard to keep population levels within realistic limits when sex is forever on the brain ... AND you have religious nutjobs preaching against contraception. The fact that the Catholic Church goes into Africa and tells the people there how bad condoms and contraception are just ticks me off. I personally think just for that, the Church should have to take full financial responsibility for every child born in places where their missionaries are active. Call it .... child support.

Anyway there you go.

Of course, I don't really blame God since there isn't one, but since you asked why it was his fault ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality