Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I am not a Christian but I agree with Vizio's notion.

What OP needs to understand is that such "Pastors" are criminals on a tripple count. They are criminals of the local laws, they are criminals of humanity and they are criminals of God who abuse the religion.

Religion NEVER tells anyone to do such crimes. These wolves in the skin of a sheep simply use the name of religion to do all different kinds of crimes to satisfy their own lust and greed.
Part of the problem is that they use their trusted positions to do their transgressions. But just as much the problem, and in some ways, even a large issue, is that there are a significant number of fundamentalists who not only excuse the actions, but forgive them, because, "it's the Christian thing to do".

I might be more convinced if I saw just a modicum of empathy given to the victims, rather than either just ignoring them, or worse, suggesting the victim is part of the problem. Religion may not tell anyone to do such crimes now, but certainly it's holy books had no problems with them and worse in the past. That is written off as, "you don't understand the culture that it happened in", as if that mattered. Religion is complicit in excusing these crimes as we have seen many times on this forum alone. Look at how former Speaker Hastert was recommended by so many "as a man of God", even after his disgusting pedophilia crimes were known. What message does that send?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Part of the problem is that they use their trusted positions to do their transgressions. But just as much the problem, and in some ways, even a large issue, is that there are a significant number of fundamentalists who not only excuse the actions, but forgive them, because, "it's the Christian thing to do".

I might be more convinced if I saw just a modicum of empathy given to the victims, rather than either just ignoring them, or worse, suggesting the victim is part of the problem. Religion may not tell anyone to do such crimes now, but certainly it's holy books had no problems with them and worse in the past. That is written off as, "you don't understand the culture that it happened in", as if that mattered. Religion is complicit in excusing these crimes as we have seen many times on this forum alone. Look at how former Speaker Hastert was recommended by so many "as a man of God", even after his disgusting pedophilia crimes were known. What message does that send?
Isn't it basic common sense to understand that WHOEVER supports such criminals is actually part of them?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:24 AM

261 posts, read 156,683 times
I am sure some 'Christian' child abusers would use the Bible as an excuse for their crimes, the evil scum!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:51 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Weird...I was JUST thinking that. You just never stop, do you?

I've asked this a hundred times, but have yet to see anyone tell me. What tenet of Christianity do you believe informs a Christian that we should do this? Do you believe that the religion actually tells pastors to do that?
I think that is a fine question for Christian pedophiles. Dennis Hastert seemed to be about to justify his Christian behavior until he was caught.

I would like to know their answer, too.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I think that is a fine question for Christian pedophiles. Dennis Hastert seemed to be about to justify his Christian behavior until he was caught.

I too am curious about this. Obviously THEY thought they were Christians. Yet they were raping children. What was the justification there?

And no, I don't buy that they were "pretending" to be Christian, these people always seem to have been deeply steeped in their religion, certainly in the church, and so on. They didn't have to be. At all. There are dozens upon dozens of other possible positions/careers to take in order to have easy access to children as an adult in a position of authority.

So somewhere deep in there, they're finding some kind of justification. What is it?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I too am curious about this. Obviously THEY thought they were Christians. Yet they were raping children. What was the justification there?

And no, I don't buy that they were "pretending" to be Christian, these people always seem to have been deeply steeped in their religion, certainly in the church, and so on. They didn't have to be. At all. There are dozens upon dozens of other possible positions/careers to take in order to have easy access to children as an adult in a position of authority.

So somewhere deep in there, they're finding some kind of justification. What is it?
If someone claims they are Christian. I have no choice but to believe them. Viz thinks he is Christian. I would not attempt to disabuse him of his belief.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

Can we just agree though, that these guys are the deviation from the norm? These are NOT what Christianity teaches.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Can we just agree though, that these guys are the deviation from the norm? These are NOT what Christianity teaches.
So what? They need to be outed and not supported (via letters of commendation and "empathy" for them - but not the victims, oh heavens no) or it will continue in a very very very easy place to have access and to cloak one's actions, whether "this is what Christianity teaches" or not.

You're all about saving the Mother Ship, the rest of us are all about saving the children who have to live with the awful memories and shame for the next 65 years.

Rapists LOVE deflection like this, it seriously helps them out, keep it up...it's Make a Post, Save a Sodomizer Day at CD.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So what? They need to be outed and not supported (via letters of commendation and "empathy" for them - but not the victims, oh heavens no) or it will continue in a very very very easy place to have access and to cloak one's actions, whether "this is what Christianity teaches" or not.

You're all about saving the Mother Ship, the rest of us are all about saving the children who have to live with the awful memories and shame for the next 65 years.

Rapists LOVE deflection like this, it seriously helps them out, keep it up...it's Make a Post, Save a Sodomizer Day at CD.
what part of "I think it is a horrible crime and condemn anyone that does it" communicates the idea that I'm "all about saving the mothership"?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
what part of "I think it is a horrible crime and condemn anyone that does it" communicates the idea that I'm "all about saving the mothership"?
Hmm.

The part that continually deflects from any stain via association with the church, pretends there's no support for the perps and no glancing past empathy for the victims, and instead of trying to save children, harps on protecting Christianity?

That part.

HTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality