Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:53 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

This is the type of story that just makes me angry.

Mentally ill man attempts suicide after clinic replaces his meds with Bible study

From the article:
The free discipleship program he checked himself into is run by two Assembly of God pastors who hope to heal their patients of addiction, anxiety, anger, depression and “the emotional residue left by mental, physical and sexual abuse” by using prayer, Scripture memorization and developing a closer relationship with God, according to program’s promotional materials. The only requirement of the patients is that you can’t use any mood altering drugs, prescribed or not. Assembly of God churches hold as a cardinal doctrine that the Divine will heal the sick, though they do allow medical help and using prescription drugs if necessary.

How can this be defended? What kind of insane, magical thinking is required to still believe this kind of harmful garbage in today's world. What kind of laws even allow this?

Yeah, I know, he entered the program willingly, and all about the First Amendment, but there are limitations to that right, and magical thinking will cure you rather than medication and science SHOULD be one of those limitations.

But oh no, there is too large a percentage of the population that think their favorite Bronzed Aged campfire story is sacrosanct and needs to be protected, the heck with the consequences.

Bitter? Oh yeah. I had an ex-wife who was studying exorcism to "drive the devil out of the mentally ill", as the devil in them was the true root cause, not any medical issues. She became my ex shortly after starting those classes, so yeah, I have a personal stake in this. She, and this Assembly of God are both bat scat crazy.

Once again religion rears it's ugly head and shows what real harm it causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Yay, another offensive and provocative post to stir up emotional responses.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:11 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
My own former church body had a similar attitude toward mental health problems. Mental health problems were seen as a lack of faith, righteous punishment for sin, etc.

Pretty monstrous.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Do you think Bible study is an effective treatment for mental illness?

Old 05-13-2016, 12:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
This one is personal, Vizio, as I outlined. It is wack-a-doodle bat scat off the wall plain wrong, it is criminal, and has nothing to 'freedom of religion'. It has everything to do with the pain and the hurt and the harm that religion too often perpetrates.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:44 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
My own former church body had a similar attitude toward mental health problems. Mental health problems were seen as a lack of faith, righteous punishment for sin, etc.

Pretty monstrous.
This was more or less the attitude of my church of origin as well. I was actively discouraged from using talk therapy and/or drugs or any other mental health standard-of-care when I had a family member with profound mental health issues, the idea was that prayer, Bible study and obedience was all that was necessary. There were "Christian psychiatrists" who would provide diagnosis codes that insurance would pay for and perhaps provide some medication for short term stabilization but the idea was that god would fix any such issues and if he didn't then the person wasn't "ready" or "not at their personal bottom" or whatever. It was always the victim's fault.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:52 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Pretty monstrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This one is personal, Vizio, as I outlined. It is wack-a-doodle bat scat off the wall plain wrong, it is criminal, and has nothing to 'freedom of religion'. It has everything to do with the pain and the hurt and the harm that religion too often perpetrates.
It's personal for me also, as my former fundie church also thought that mental illness was actually the manifestation of some kind of sin. Taking any kind of medications for mental or emotional problems was considered sinful. Only prayer, Bible study, an "attitude of gratitude," joyfulness, etc were acceptable means of "fixing" mental health issues.

This kind of teaching does horrendous harm to people. It was this very issue that eventually made me see the falsehoods of my fundie church, and once I finally realized how completely wrong my church was on that issue, "infallibility" was out the window, leading to the crumbling of all my religious beliefs.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:04 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Do you know what Sartre meant when he said, "hell is other people?" It was that you can't fully know yourself unless you are willing to listen to the judgments of others. It's not comfortable but it's necessary.

What I seem to hear you saying here is, just shut up so I don't have to be uncomfortable.

What would be wrong with saying, I don't agree with such programs and I am saddened that some of my brothers and sisters think this is a good thing? It seems like there's a desire to disavow them as True Christians, minimize what they are doing, and/or simply reject the information as unwanted.

Do you think that Bible study, prayer, and repentance will cure, say, profound Paranoid Schizophrenia, or even major depression? If so, will it be 100% effective such that psychotropic medication can be immediately discontinued? My guess is no, this is almost a charismatic / pentecostal level of denial that I don't think you are capable of. If I am right then just agree that it's a harmful notion and move on.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This is the type of story that just makes me angry.

Mentally ill man attempts suicide after clinic replaces his meds with Bible study

From the article:
The free discipleship program he checked himself into is run by two Assembly of God pastors who hope to heal their patients of addiction, anxiety, anger, depression and “the emotional residue left by mental, physical and sexual abuse” by using prayer, Scripture memorization and developing a closer relationship with God, according to program’s promotional materials. The only requirement of the patients is that you can’t use any mood altering drugs, prescribed or not. Assembly of God churches hold as a cardinal doctrine that the Divine will heal the sick, though they do allow medical help and using prescription drugs if necessary.

How can this be defended? What kind of insane, magical thinking is required to still believe this kind of harmful garbage in today's world. What kind of laws even allow this?

Yeah, I know, he entered the program willingly, and all about the First Amendment, but there are limitations to that right, and magical thinking will cure you rather than medication and science SHOULD be one of those limitations.

But oh no, there is too large a percentage of the population that think their favorite Bronzed Aged campfire story is sacrosanct and needs to be protected, the heck with the consequences.

Bitter? Oh yeah. I had an ex-wife who was studying exorcism to "drive the devil out of the mentally ill", as the devil in them was the true root cause, not any medical issues. She became my ex shortly after starting those classes, so yeah, I have a personal stake in this. She, and this Assembly of God are both bat scat crazy.

Once again religion rears it's ugly head and shows what real harm it causes.
These churches need to stop exploiting the mentally ill, the sick, the poor, the incarcerated, the homeless, those who are chemically addicted, or any person who is in a venerable state. On my best day, I wouldn't seek out fire and brimstone preaching.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Cupper3, not that I care about your ideas...to each his own ...but why so many here
rather than in the atheist section...this, I do not understand.
If I was a mod...I would be politely moving them.
They all seem like rants against Christians, I am not one, btw.

This is really rhetorical..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality