Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

That from someone who went through 100 pages of evolution with his eyes shut. And you did the same on the order of Genesis. Plants before sea creatures; Birds before land creatures. And a demonstration that your cloud -cover excuse didn't work. You stuck your head in the sand.

Pot, kettle...kettle,Pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 05:59 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Unlike you, KC, Martin gets the analogy. You simply refuse to or are incapable of it.
Are those the only reasons you can think of why I might be a bit skeptical that there's a universal disembodied consciousness powered by dark energy streaming from our brains who sent Jesus to us? Think harder and maybe eventually you'll figure out why I'm skeptical that your dream about this tells us anything about reality.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:18 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
So after 45 pages and the thread gone quiet, there has been no tangible evidence. That's disappointing.

OK, I'm going to help you fellas out. How about this, if God did not create the universe, then why does water boil at exactly 100° C? And why does water freeze at exactly 0° C? Coincidence? No, that must surely be intelligent design.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:36 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
^ That somewhat reminds me of the Bill OReilly "Tides go in and Tides go out, explain that" quote when he interviewed.... Richard Dawkins I think it was but not entirely sure now.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:22 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
^ That somewhat reminds me of the Bill OReilly "Tides go in and Tides go out, explain that" quote when he interviewed.... Richard Dawkins I think it was but not entirely sure now.
I think that statement has been intentionally presented differently by some than the way he obviously meant it...to try to make him look bad.
OReilly is a brilliant man. He has two Masters degrees...one from Harvard. He knows what makes the tides work.
The question was more of a way of asking, "Gravity exists. Explain WHY, not how, it exists. For what reason does the Universe have gravity?".
Most understood that. Except those trying to discredit him and his argument.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:40 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The question was more of a way of asking, "Gravity exists. Explain WHY, not how, it exists. For what reason does the Universe have gravity?"
Gravity is space-time curvature, a characteristic of the universe.

A better question to ask is - Why wouldn't gravity exist?

Old 07-06-2016, 03:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,084 times
Quote:
The question was more of a way of asking, "Gravity exists. Explain WHY, not how, it exists. For what reason does the Universe have gravity?".
Why does there have to be a reason? A reason presupposes intelligence behind it.

Why doesn't anybody looking for reasons ever ask "why do armpits stink?". Yeah we know how they end up stinking.....but what is the reason for them to stink?

It's along the same line of question. Once you've established an intelligent designer of everything....then we can try to infer the reasons for the design choices. But we haven't established a designer was behind it, nor that a designer was necessary.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Gravity is space-time curvature, a characteristic of the universe.

A better question to ask is - Why wouldn't gravity exist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Why does there have to be a reason? A reason presupposes intelligence behind it.

Why doesn't anybody looking for reasons ever ask "why do armpits stink?". Yeah we know how they end up stinking.....but what is the reason for them to stink?

It's along the same line of question. Once you've established an intelligent designer of everything....then we can try to infer the reasons for the design choices. But we haven't established a designer was behind it, nor that a designer was necessary.
Correct, and OReilly was inferring that for the Universe to have a "controlling" characteristic like that (that causes the tides)...the explanation must be an intelligent designing Creator that wanted it to be that way, and made it that way.
To him...that would be the only reason there could possibly be to explain "why" it is "the tide goes in, the tide goes out".

Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,084 times
Quote:
Correct, and OReilly was inferring that for the Universe to have a "controlling" characteristic like that (that causes the tides)...the explanation must be an intelligent designing Creator that wanted it to be that way, and made it that way.
To him...that would be the only reason there could possibly be to explain "why" it is "the tide goes in, the tide goes out".
I agree that was where O'Reilly was going with the tides thing. I saw the full segment as well.

I just don't think O'Reilly has debated religion very much as he presented some of the worst arguments possible.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:13 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Ah O' Reilly. I rather think that in a group that has high competition for wilful ignorance and stupid arguments (Hovind and Comfort come 2nd and third, with Ken Ham running fourth) O' Reilly wins by a head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiNGK3y5Ypg

Quote:
I think that statement has been intentionally presented differently by some than the way he obviously meant it...to try to make him look bad.
OReilly is a brilliant man. He has two Masters degrees...one from Harvard. He knows what makes the tides work.
I agree - that was what he was aiming at. But that only makes it worse, because he knows better or has no excuse for not knowing better.

Ah, I see that is Ben Stein. My mistake (Which I put my hand up to) It wasn't this fellow who came up with the tides come in remark? I looked O' Reilly up and could only find a political commentator. Somebody put me straight?

Stein indeed has 2 college qualifications - in Law and economics. Neither make him an authority on evolution or indeed Biology, nor any branch of science.

The question about why the universe has gravity is in itself no argument. It is a question to which we don't yet have an answer. It is evidence of nothing much less disproof of anything. It is very much in the line of the silly remarks Stein makes about evolution as in the video.

Let me check up the Sun rises foolishness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3AFMe2OQY

Bill O'Reilly responds to "Tide comes in, tide goes out, you can't explain it!"

There's Bill O' Reilly

And no - not stupid. Crafty. The interview with David Silvernman is an attempt to do a snow job, which didn't work. Interrupting all the time, playing the 'respect' card. We are so offended, so you must be wrong. We are familiar enough with that one.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-06-2016 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality