Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 04:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But then the question is, what will become of the current day Dolphins?
That question is as daft as the question: If we evolved from monkey, how come there are still monkeys.

Quote:
If evolution is still going on then why did it stop on Dolphins, some 50 million years ago?
It didn't stop. It slowed down to almost unmeasurable levels. Why? For the same reason it did so in crocodiles. They are so superbly adapted to their environment that they haven't needed to change.

Those who are wilfully ignorant of evolution (mostly Christians) see evolution as something that MUST happen in such a way that can be seen with the naked eye (cats turning into dogs overnight and other such ludicrous nonsense). That is not the case. Evolution is not a linear process where species must always get bigger and stronger than that which came before. Such thinking is beloved of anti-evolutionist who never bother to actually find out anything about what they are trying to dismiss but prefer to gobble up the tripe fed to them by their favourite fundie web-site like CARM or Answers in Genesis.

The fact is that evolution claims no such thing. What it claims is that organisms will adapt to their current environment and will do so with the least expenditure of resources and energy possible.

So there is no reason for us to get bigger, stronger or more intelligent if those traits are not required. Acquiring those trait or attributes requires resources and if those traits or attributes are not required they will be lost. If attribute are not required then over time we would expect them to evolve out.

There is no linear concept of ALWAYS bigger and better in evolution as you seem to think. In fact, a species may well get smaller and weaker if, in doing so, it uses less resources and survives just as well.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:24 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That question is as daft as the question: If we evolved from monkey, how come there are still monkeys.

It didn't stop. It slowed down to almost unmeasurable levels. Why? For the same reason it did so in crocodiles. They are so superbly adapted to their environment that they haven't needed to change.

Those who are wilfully ignorant of evolution (mostly Christians) see evolution as something that MUST happen in such a way that can be seen with the naked eye (cats turning into dogs overnight and other such ludicrous nonsense). That is not the case. Evolution is not a linear process where species must always get bigger and stronger than that which came before. Such thinking is beloved of anti-evolutionist who never bother to actually find out anything about what they are trying to dismiss but prefer to gobble up the tripe fed to them by their favourite fundie web-site like CARM or Answers in Genesis.

The fact is that evolution claims no such thing. What it claims is that organisms will adapt to their current environment and will do so with the least expenditure of resources and energy possible.

So there is no reason for us to get bigger, stronger or more intelligent if those traits are not required. Acquiring those trait or attributes requires resources and if those traits or attributes are not required they will be lost. If attribute are not required then over time we would expect them to evolve out.

There is no linear concept of ALWAYS bigger and better in evolution as you seem to think. In fact, a species may well get smaller and weaker if, in doing so, it uses less resources and survives just as well.

Dolphins are my favorite teachings from the Temple.

The bible deals with all nature but the dolphin symbolism is the coolest of all, and I pretend that I actually came from a dolphin so evolution of dolphins came to me.;]

Old 06-25-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The bible deals with all nature ...
Well except dinosaurs...because they didn't know about them of course!

Old 06-25-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Well except dinosaurs...because they didn't know about them of course!
A lot of people would argue that the bible talks about the oil in the sand. Prophesies of finding huge oil wells but that is opinion.

I like those people that used to try and say that Dinos were talked about in Job but the creature it speaks about is said to sleep under a type of brush tree and that particular tree only gets a cover of about 3 feet high.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
A lot of people would argue that the bible talks about the oil in the sand. Prophesies of finding huge oil wells but that is opinion.
There are people that would say that the Qur'an speaks of fingerprints and modern pollution.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
There are people that would say that the Qur'an speaks of fingerprints and modern pollution.
I can see fingerprints cause I can probably find it in the bible and the bible is the basic foundation of the Koran.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I can see fingerprints cause I can probably find it in the bible and the bible is the basic foundation of the Koran.
Show it in your Bible.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Show it in your Bible.
I didn't mean I knew of such a scripture but I bet you I end up finding one , one day, and then showing you.

Not like it would mean or prove anything but the ancients were way smarter than anyone gives them credit for and I figure it's a good chance I will find something.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean I knew of such a scripture but I bet you I end up finding one , one day, and then showing you.

Not like it would mean or prove anything but the ancients were way smarter than anyone gives them credit for and I figure it's a good chance I will find something.
I'll wait.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I'll wait.

LOL, It's not that far fetched, the ancient Chinese and Assyrians and Babylonians used fingerprints to sign legal documents.

Babylon would decree something and then press their entire right hand into the slab of clay containing the law before the clay was fired. This would mean that the law was authentic and official because it contained the king’s “signature.”

Abraham came from Babylon and you find a lot of different culture in the bible but a fingerprint is relatively easy to see especially with occasions of putting blood on one's toe or thumb and so much blood used in sacrificing that I might just find something somewhere, maybe the Talmud, but I would certainly be convinced that they knew fingerprints were signatures to a specific person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality