Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times

Advertisements

Why ask questions when you already have your answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
To provoke thought?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
To provoke thought?
If one has already determined they have the answer, that's not provoking thought, it's just provocation.

People are free to believe or choose to not believe wherever their programming and desire take them. One of the beauties of humanity. However, why pose a question in veiled form if but to start an argument. Just make the declarative statement to initiate a discussion... Always better than an argument.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The Christian historians who wrote the gospels and Acts are just as credible as non Christian historians. So that is a fallacy on your part to suggest that if no non Christians historians wrote about Jesus that therefore they are incorrect in their history.

Furthermore, you don't know there weren't any. There may have been reams and reams of historical documents written but which have been lost to time, wars, burning of Rome, destruction by the Jews themselves etc.
You mean all those documents burned by Christians after the Council of Nicaea? Including the library at Alexandria? Yeah, that would make sense; the victor writes the history, and denies anything else. How Christian of them, right?

Old 06-30-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Best way to know that the Bible is the inspired Words of God is to repent of sin Love God and , seek God out and obey God commands and convert to Jesus Christ the Saviour ......... Where when God sees that people are sincere then He will reveal himself and then You will know that God did actually Inspire these Words ........ So if people cannot do that then the question here is just a mockery
What the heck does this word salad translate into normal English?

Old 06-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Why ask questions when you already have your answer?
What answer?

Old 06-30-2016, 07:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You mean all those documents burned by Christians after the Council of Nicaea? Including the library at Alexandria? Yeah, that would make sense; the victor writes the history, and denies anything else. How Christian of them, right?
The historical accounts were written long before what you consider above.
What specific documents were burned? Do you have a list with titles?

As to the library at Alexandria we have this from Wikipedia:

"The Library of Alexandria was one of the largest and most significant libraries of the ancient world.[1] Famous for having been burned, thus resulting in the loss of many scrolls and books, it has become a symbol of "knowledge and culture destroyed." Although there is a tradition of the burning of the Library at Alexandria, the library may have suffered several fires or acts of destruction, of varying degrees, over many years. Different cultures may have blamed each other throughout history, or distanced their ancestors from responsibility, and therefore leaving conflicting and inconclusive fragments from ancient sources on the exact details of the destruction. Experts[vague] differ on when books in the actual library were destroyed. Manuscripts were probably burned in stages over eight centuries.[citation needed] Ancient and modern sources identify four possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library of Alexandria: Julius Caesar's fire during his civil war in 48 BC; the attack of Aurelian in AD 270 – 275; the decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus of Alexandria in 391 AD; and the Muslim conquest of Egypt in (or after) AD 642.[2]"

Old 06-30-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What answer?
From your op:

Some say one needs to let the spirit into one's heart? WTH? The heart is a muscle, with no thinking ability whatsoever. Yes, the ancients use to think it was the center of one's being, but we know that is wrong. And if that is a metaphorical statement, one can say anything else in the bible is metaphorical and allegorical, at best.

It's apparent you have your answer. Why care if another believes how they do about the Bible? If it's comedy say as much. If you are truly curious as to others thoughts, just ask without the disclaimers.

For the life of me, I've never seen so many atheists and agnostics so involved with Christianity.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
From your op:

Some say one needs to let the spirit into one's heart? WTH? The heart is a muscle, with no thinking ability whatsoever. Yes, the ancients use to think it was the center of one's being, but we know that is wrong. And if that is a metaphorical statement, one can say anything else in the bible is metaphorical and allegorical, at best.

It's apparent you have your answer. Why care if another believes how they do about the Bible? If it's comedy say as much. If you are truly curious as to others thoughts, just ask without the disclaimers.

For the life of me, I've never seen so many atheists and agnostics so involved with Christianity.
I thought I would point out this is the discussion forum "Religion and Spirituality". Why do you think that just involves Christianity?

Back on topic, I take it you are not able to answer the question, or can you?

Old 06-30-2016, 08:44 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
From your op:

Because Christianity so involves itself in my life; where I work, who my friends are, how my family and I interact. It threatens my job, my personal life, my financial well-being, my social life, and my legal status. How can I not be so involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality