Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...p-cars-removed

And good for them. There is no reason for Police vehicles to display any religious symbols. I suspect the fundies on this board would be in an uproar if those signs said, "Allah Ahkbar".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
I agree with this. Police are not in the business of promoting the Bible, or Christianity.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:01 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Well done them. But we still have "In God we trust" on some police cars?

We do, and the practice is spreading. One Florida police Chief said the idea popped into his head when seeing the phrase in an e -mail.

I would lay good money that the e -mail said "We got away tiy In God we trust" on the police cars here - we are asking all true believers to do the same where they are."

And that is what they are doing.

But another move is starting. "In God we trust" is being replaced with "We, the people". Like the atheist tracts in school satchels, this one could backfire on the "To hell with curch and state separation" lobby initiative.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-30-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-30-2016, 06:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well done them. But we still have "In God we trust" on some police cars?

We do, and the practice is spreading. One Florida police Chief said the idea popped into his head when seeing the phrase in an e -mail.

I would lay good money that the e -mail said "We got away tiy In God we trust" on the police cars here - we are asking all true believers to do the same where they are."

And that is what they are doing.

But another move is starting. "In God we trust" is being replaced with "We, the people". Like the atheist tracts in school satchels, this one could backfire on the "To hell with curch and state separation" lobby initiative.
I can see the "We the people" catching on, as it can not in any way be construed to be the State promoting a religion. Actually, I personally could support that as it does imply a patriotic perspective (remember, I am Canadian, and only spend half my time in the US). I know that some rightwing extremists use the phrase to portray a xenophobia for their own purposes, but don't let them highjack what should be something that all should be able to support.

Do you see it differently?

Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I can see the "We the people" catching on, as it can not in any way be construed to be the State promoting a religion. Actually, I personally could support that as it does imply a patriotic perspective (remember, I am Canadian, and only spend half my time in the US). I know that some rightwing extremists use the phrase to portray a xenophobia for their own purposes, but don't let them highjack what should be something that all should be able to support.

Do you see it differently?
Being a mere Limey (and potential Ex European ) my views don't count. But anything that scuppers the attempts of the religious agents provocateurs to drive a crack in the wall between the church and state in the US, is good from where I'm sitting.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:42 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
The ironic thing is to a non-Christian, Romans 13:4 should just be meaningless words. A person actually has to go look up the chapter and verse in the Bible to found out the message.

Even then, I don't see this as any violation of the Establishment Clause. A decal that said Christianity is the official religion of the Harper police dept. If I ever need services of a police officer, fireman or EMS, the last thought I am going to have is gee, I hope that person is a Christian. The only concern should be that they have proper training and provide appropriate care and assistance to the needed situation. You know, doing their job.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The ironic thing is to a non-Christian, Romans 13:4 should just be meaningless words. A person actually has to go look up the chapter and verse in the Bible to found out the message.
It doesn't matter what Romans 13:4 says. What matters is that a Bible verse has no business on a government owned vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Even then, I don't see this as any violation of the Establishment Clause. A decal that said Christianity is the official religion of the Harper police dept. If I ever need services of a police officer, fireman or EMS, the last thought I am going to have is gee, I hope that person is a Christian. The only concern should be that they have proper training and provide appropriate care and assistance to the needed situation. You know, doing their job.
Goodness, what do you think the Establishment Clause means? There can't be an "official religion", as that is the very definition of establishing religion.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It doesn't matter what Romans 13:4 says. What matters is that a Bible verse has no business on a government owned vehicle.

Goodness, what do you think the Establishment Clause means? There can't be an "official religion", as that is the very definition of establishing religion.
Unbelievable, ain't it? Jeff actually can say 'Official religion' of a police dept. and see nothing wrong with that!

Old 07-07-2016, 10:15 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Unbelievable, ain't it? Jeff actually can say 'Official religion' of a police dept. and see nothing wrong with that!
I bet he also claims to be "small government."

Old 07-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I bet he also claims to be "small government."
Thought you might like this. *i made it myself**
Attached Thumbnails
Once again, the Freedom From Religion Foundation forces removal of religious symbolism-yall..ah.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality