Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
What would you say to those that committed suicide because they were gay and tired of being harassed/feeling like outsiders and have no place in the world because of religious zealots such as yourself?
Some groups have high suicidal tendencies. Homosexuals, present/former military, doctors, etc.
There are many reasons & theories why.
Why are so many people in the entertainment industry drunks and/or junkies? I don't know?
You can't blame others for the attitude people have about themselves. Should we blame Atheists for any Religious people that had self-doubt and felt bad, then killed themselves?

Suicide is a terrible thing...but it appears to me that it occurs a lot in people that gravitate toward certain vocations and lifestyles, rather than negative attitudes about their vocations or lifesyle as the "reason" they kill themselves.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I would tell them to that God loves them and to distant themselves from the LGBT community who promotes harrassing and hatred of Christians. Kinda like this:

LGBT Activists Target Pastor with Death Threats and Feces over a Facebook Emoji | CBN News
That's good advise to 14 years living on the streets because they are gay " so you are gay, but you better stay away from other gays as they are all despicable people who are threats to good people who are real Christians, just like your parents who love you but just want you to stop being a horrible disgusting person" . That should warm their hearts.

You do spend a great amount of effort dwelling on all the negatives you can about gays. Search and you will find. Much like how you dismissed any hardship on gays wanting a marrage licence and it being refused by a Christian. No hardship you claim as they can go to the next town and it is not a necessity anyways. But McDonald's uses a rainbow colored container for their fries in 4 outlets and you whine about it being an attack on Christians in America and that the LBGT WERE thugs forcing little McDonald's to do something as horrible as changing the wrapper to make one day event. Your hatred and extreme bias against gays, liberals and atheists does not go unnoticed on this forum and in other forums you post your anger and hatred.

Suicide amongst gay teenagers, especially from families that will not accept them or even reject them, is a real and troubling thing. That you are willing to either dismiss them or blame them and support those so calling loving Christian parents by bringing up the words and deeds from a few wingnuts is indefensible. You have no problem blaming every member of the groups you hate for the actions of one individual however cry when someone colours all Christians the same.

Telling a gay to always stay away from all other gays because gays are disgusting people, never be gay, never have a gay lover or even a gay friend because all gays are disgusting people but God loves you, the same God that had your parents toss you into the garbage of the street is really going to help them alot.

Sorry for the rant and how riled up I am about your comments. I used to do fostering for trouble youths and your advise is exactly the type of actions that will push a trouble kid over the edge. I know you only care about their soul and that their happiness or even mental stability means little to you but please stop and think and care for them in more than your narrow zealous manner. They are people, they deserve better from their parents and society.

By the way should I start posting all the quotes from Christians that think gays, atheist or Muslims should be put to death? Will you accept that as proof that Christians want to kill all non Christians just like you painted all gays by what sounds like a pretty despicable action of a few?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
You're not going to convince me that my faith is a fiction.
Well Nostrum. You asked Jeff if there was any proof that would make him change his beliefs. There's your answer from the horse's mouth.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hey look - Ken Ham decided that when it really, kinda-sorta came down to it (and his precious tax credit was in danger), turning his park into a "ministry" to stiff the town for 50 cents/ticket for emergency services wasn't really the best idea, after all.

Noah's Ark transfers land back to for-profit entity after state threat | Lexington Herald Leader

This is what I like about a God-fearing, purpose-driven person like Ken Ham - he's firm on principle. OK, so perhaps the principle of "Grab what you can and stiff the local taxpayers" isn't very Biblical, but it is a principle and he is holding very firmly to it.
At the very least, he could have been less obvious about the whole thing. The whole 'Nyah, nyah, we're a ministry now' ploy was amusing in its utter transparency.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Pretty much. One shakes one head how in today's 'enlightened' society these bronzed aged myths continue to have cachet.

I guess I don't care if they didn't impact the secular world, but they do. They are the white, Christian Taliban, right here in the US of A.
You are indeed correct old beast. When one sees posts by posters such as Jeff and Three Cars Fundie...one just has to shake one's head and despair of the future of mankind.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:24 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That's good advise to 14 years living on the streets because they are gay " so you are gay, but you better stay away from other gays as they are all despicable people who are threats to good people who are real Christians, just like your parents who love you but just want you to stop being a horrible disgusting person" . That should warm their hearts.

You do spend a great amount of effort dwelling on all the negatives you can about gays. Search and you will find. Much like how you dismissed any hardship on gays wanting a marrage licence and it being refused by a Christian. No hardship you claim as they can go to the next town and it is not a necessity anyways. But McDonald's uses a rainbow colored container for their fries in 4 outlets and you whine about it being an attack on Christians in America and that the LBGT WERE thugs forcing little McDonald's to do something as horrible as changing the wrapper to make one day event. Your hatred and extreme bias against gays, liberals and atheists does not go unnoticed on this forum and in other forums you post your anger and hatred.

Suicide amongst gay teenagers, especially from families that will not accept them or even reject them, is a real and troubling thing. That you are willing to either dismiss them or blame them and support those so calling loving Christian parents by bringing up the words and deeds from a few wingnuts is indefensible. You have no problem blaming every member of the groups you hate for the actions of one individual however cry when someone colours all Christians the same.

Telling a gay to always stay away from all other gays because gays are disgusting people, never be gay, never have a gay lover or even a gay friend because all gays are disgusting people but God loves you, the same God that had your parents toss you into the garbage of the street is really going to help them alot.

Sorry for the rant and how riled up I am about your comments. I used to do fostering for trouble youths and your advise is exactly the type of actions that will push a trouble kid over the edge. I know you only care about their soul and that their happiness or even mental stability means little to you but please stop and think and care for them in more than your narrow zealous manner. They are people, they deserve better from their parents and society.

By the way should I start posting all the quotes from Christians that think gays, atheist or Muslims should be put to death? Will you accept that as proof that Christians want to kill all non Christians just like you painted all gays by what sounds like a pretty despicable action of a few?
Thanks so much for this spot on reply!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:18 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Pretty much. One shakes one head how in today's 'enlightened' society these bronzed aged myths continue to have cachet.

I guess I don't care if they didn't impact the secular world, but they do. They are the white, Christian Taliban, right here in the US of A.
Funny that an "elightened" society hasn't made man any more better. Man is just as evil and sadistic as the ancient world. Course the fact that evil exists is illogical in an atheist world. I don't see evil in other animal species.

There are countless reasons to believe that God exists. Pretty much no evidence to support atheism as well as raise more problems and difficulties. In an atheist world, man should never feel the need to ask what is the meaning or purpose to life.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Is that what you would say to the people who committed suicide today? They are just too weak to handle life?
Either that, or they have mental issues, yes. Keep in mind Jeff, you are talking to someone who has attempted suicide themselves. I won't go into detail on it, but I was dealing with post partum depression and seizures, and had what the doctors called a "dissociative episode". I literally didn't know what I was doing. I can't even remember it to this day. Thankfully I am still here and now loving life, thanks to some very good doctors and a wonderful husband and son. No God needed.

Hey, if having a blanky helps you keep from killing yourself Jeff, go for it. It didn't/wouldn't have helped me though, and not everyone is the same. Religion has caused suicides too, Jeff. Usually gay kids who had fundamentalist parents who hated them. You know, like you would hate your kid if he/she were gay? Like your boy Ken Ham would hate his kid/s if they were gay?

Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Funny that an "elightened" society hasn't made man any more better.
You'd have thought that a few thousand years of Abrahamic religion would have fixed that issue, wouldn't you?

Quote:
Man is just as evil and sadistic as the ancient world.
Why hasn't religion eliminated that problem? Has no progress been made since some year you define as "ancient?"

Quote:
Course the fact that evil exists is illogical in an atheist world.
Why is evil illogical in an "atheist world" (whatever that is)?

Quote:
I don't see evil in other animal species.
Well, at least you recognize that humans are an animal species.

Quote:
There are countless reasons to believe that God exists.
I'm sure somebody will come along and ask you to name a few. You have said this before, but you've never provided any when asked.

Quote:
Pretty much no evidence to support atheism as well as raise more problems and difficulties.
What are those problems and difficulties?

Quote:
In an atheist world, man should never feel the need to ask what is the meaning or purpose to life.
Why not? BTW, just exactly what is an "atheist world?"

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-26-2017 at 08:08 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
No the good advise is to show them that their self worth is in the inner person that they are, a unique creation by God. It is our soul that defines us, not our sexuality. I could take your same argument and exchange it for a sexual practice that YOU disapprove of, and then it falls flat on its face.

Quote:

There you go lying about me again. I don't hate anyone. I hate sin. I hate the practices and motivations of groups like atheists who seek to destroy religious freedom through backdoor alleys and then even deny their resentment of Christians. I hate the practices of a society that increasingly demands that we accept an immoral lifestyle as natural and normal. OTOH, you and your ilk turn a blind eye to the EXTREME hateful practices of the LGBT community. This guy reported not hundresd, not thousands, but hundreds of thousands of harrassment from this community in the most despicable manner. And yet instead of being shocked, all I see is indifference in your response.

Quote:

It is a real problem, but Christians must find a balance to dwell with this sensitive issue. We can't support and encourage their lifestyle. It is destructive. The Bible is plain as day on the topic. You don't sow good things from living in sin. OTOH, Christians should never bully, harass, exile or turn away gay people, but embrace them with a kind heart and friendship as Christ did with the outcasts of his society. If you think we are awful people for speaking up against sin then that is the same as saying we are awful people for trying to stop someone from jumping off a cliff to their death.

Quote:

Their soul and eternal destination is the most important thing. Happiness on this cursed earth is very brief for all of us. It is foolish to exchange eternal life to enjoy a few decades of sinful lifestyle that isn't guaranteed to be problem free either.

Quote:

I only said that they should distance themself from the growing LBGT activists who now show intolerance and hatred to those who do not support their agenda. There are good gay people out there who just want to live their life and don't support the attack on religious freedom like with the wedding cake businesses. I have no problem with those groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality