Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 10:19 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've noticed that. I've also noticed many people posting on this board saying all sorts of things about religion, science, and other fields that very likely do NOT have education in those fields.
Uh-huh. But what you never seem to notice is that every one of them knows a hell of a lot more anout what they're talking about than you do. There's a lesson in there for ya if ya care to learn it. Maybe even several.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:47 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Do you have any confirmed examples of any God showing up at ANY injustice?
Thinking about - something along the same lines (to me). Mother Theresa received her sainthood partly for a miracle she did AFTER her death. Turns out that is a prerequisite for sainthood.
So after she died she answered someone's prayers for a healing of a loved one from cancer or something.
"Doctors 'confirmed' the miracle".

Old 08-05-2017, 02:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I didn't think so.

Why would an omnipotent God require any death for salvation?
IN SHORT... The Bible is clear, and it is consistent: one person cannot die for the sins of another. In other words, the sins committed by one person cannot be wiped out by the punishment given to another. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses asks Gd to punish him for the sin committed by the people in regards to the Golden Calf. Gd tells Moses that the person who committed the sin is the one who must receive the punishment. Then, in Deuteronomy 24:16, Gd simply states this as a basic principle, 'Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.' This concept is repeated in the Prophets, in Ezekiel 18: 'The soul that sinneth, it shall die... the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.' The prophet Jeremiah looks to the day when the mistaken belief that one man's death atones for another man's sins shall no longer be held by anyone: in Jeremiah 31:29-30, the prophet says: 'In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.' - What Jews Believe: Essay #1: No Vicarious Atonement

Old 08-06-2017, 03:48 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
nah...he just claims to be a "science guy". And he then postulates on matters of science, but of which he has no education.
Much like the many so called 'scientists' employed by AiG and such like organisations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Also, Ken is just the main the face of Answers in Genesis.
Nuff said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Couldn't stay away, eh Viz?

Quote:
Atheists will never respect the opinion of someone who believes in the Bible regardless of their background.
Depends what the opinion is.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
I'd call that an improvement. Last time only 8 or so showed up.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:03 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
How can you slam someone else for "bias" when you just said that anyone that believes in the literal rendering of the Word of G-d is not intelligent? I'd say that's a hefty dose of bias, in all honesty, wouldn't you? Peace
How is truth bias? If someone came up to you, right now, and said that God was talking to them through their neighbor's dog, would you think them to be of high intelligence?!? If someone came up to you and claimed that the devil is talking to them though a coyote they saw in the woods, would you think them intelligent???

Answer those questions honestly, and you will see that you agree. You would not think that they were intelligent people talking to God or the devil. You would call the nuthouse. Why would you hold ancient superstitious people to a different standard? That doesn't even take into account all of the other nonsense one would have to believe to hold a literal belief in the Bible. So no, it is not bias. It is truth.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's the word I bolded that stands as an impassable barrier between fundies and people possessed of common sense and/or a rudimentary secondary, or post-secondary education.

Thankfully, most Christians and Muslims and Jews are possessed of all the above.

I'm sorry you are not among them.
Exactly, my friend. I am in NO WAY saying what I have said about every day, normal Christians/Muslims/etc. But the fact is, to believe in a literal Bible precludes you from being what most people would call intelligent. As you said above, thankfully the large majority do not believe in a literal Bible.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
This is getting tiring. It doesn't WHAT I post, you will always stubbornly argue against it to the point of absurdity. My point stands. There are people out there with doctorate degrees who believe in the Bible. They are not stupid people. Now you are scrambling to define "intelligence" which can mean anything really, but that was your claim and now you are both trying to deny and support the claim. When you say that there are no intelligent people who believe in the Bible most people would take that to mean you are essentially calling us stupid for our beliefs, and that is bold claim completely void of any support or evidence.
I am not scrambling to do anything. I am not talking "book smarts" here Jeff. As I explained in my last post, you can be book smart, and not intelligent. .

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-07-2017 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Political response and insulting response

Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
How is truth bias? If someone came up to you, right now, and said that God was talking to them through their neighbor's dog, would you think them to be of high intelligence?!? If someone came up to you and claimed that the devil is talking to them though a coyote they saw in the woods, would you think them intelligent???

Answer those questions honestly, and you will see that you agree. You would not think that they were intelligent people talking to God or the devil. You would call the nuthouse. Why would you hold ancient superstitious people to a different standard? That doesn't even take into account all of the other nonsense one would have to believe to hold a literal belief in the Bible. So no, it is not bias. It is truth.

No, it's not truth, it's your opinion and it's biased. I put up a list of Jewish mathematicians, most of whom, because they are Jews, believe in a literal OT. So equating intelligence without a literal understanding of the OT, is not a valid reasoning, it's just personal bias. Peace

Old 08-07-2017, 12:27 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'd call that an improvement. Last time only 8 or so showed up.
LOL good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.