Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,753,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
A ten year old article stated that there were 700 creationist scientists out of 480 000 life and earth scientists in the USA. That is a very small percentage. Are the 99.85% not intelligent? Are they all wrong? I would not be surprised if the percentage of creationist scientists in Europe and Canada is even lower nut maybe the same in Australia.

Why should we accept the work of that small percentage over the vast number of working scientist? Other than for your own religious reasons why do you accept the ideas of the 0.15 % over the long time and published work of the 99.85%?
Sorry, but I don't accept the notion that scientists are some benevolent force of humanity that only seeks to better our world through knowledge and discovery. Evidence can be highly subjective and tainted by one's on bias beliefs. The fact is that the world of academia in fields of science are highly biased against creationism and highly promotive of a secular atheist perspective of the world. So no wonder that a vast majority filtered through such a system comes out being anti-Bible or creationist.

The problem I see is that this bias is so intense that if a scientist dares go against the grain and promote evidence that contradicts evolution or supports the Bible, they face the risk of being attacked or discredited by his peers. They may lose their career or source of income. Better to just ignore that evidence and go with the masses. Dr. Eben Alexander is a good example. He was an atheist neurosurgeon who did not believe in life after death until he had a near death experience. He decided to go public with his story and got laughed at and discredited by his peers. Of course, atheists immediately rejected his story because they HAVE to.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,058,997 times
Quote:
A ten year old article stated that there were 700 creationist scientists out of 480 000 life and earth scientists in the USA. That is a very small percentage. Are the 99.85% not intelligent? Are they all wrong? I would not be surprised if the percentage of creationist scientists in Europe and Canada is even lower nut maybe the same in Australia.

Why should we accept the work of that small percentage over the vast number of working scientist? Other than for your own religious reasons why do you accept the ideas of the 0.15 % over the long time and published work of the 99.85%?
So you're a bandwagoner? You think that if something is popular it must be true?

Old 08-08-2017, 01:50 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,753,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
The negativity is that Ham has promised that 'no unwilling taxpayer will fund the Ark' -- and then brokered a deal in which 75% of the Ark's tax revenues go to pay off the Ark's debt. Under that same deal, if the Ark fails, the state and the taxpayer will assume all responsibility for repaying the bonds on which Ham defaults.

He's also been caught trying to transfer ownership of the Park from the for-profit Ark Encounter LLC to their non-profit parent company (Crosswater Canyon, LLC) for $10, claiming that as a non-profit, they're not subject to the city's new safety tax (which totals something in the range of $700,000). The sale was made one day before the new safety tax was to take effect, and quickly reversed when the state called 'shenanigans' and informed Ham and AiG that since the incentives were granted to Ark Encounter LLC, and not Crosswater Canyon LLC, such a sale will actually invalidate their tax incentives.

In short, the Ark Encounter (regardless of its original intent) has placed all of the Ark's financial liability squarely on the shoulders of the taxpayer, and AiG has been caught trying to work a tax-dodge.

If it's not illegal, it's certainly unethical. That's what the negativity is about.
You're not telling the whole story. What about the ethics of the city forcing Ham to charge a special 50 cent tax on every ticket sale and therefore having Ham foot the bill for the city's entire police, fire and EMS department for a small town? If the park has 5000 visitors a day, then I believe that is $2500 a day. Now multiple that by 365 days and you are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. It sounds to me that the city is trying to take advantage of the park.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:06 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,338,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Sorry, but I don't accept the notion that scientists are some benevolent force of humanity that only seeks to better our world through knowledge and discovery. Evidence can be highly subjective and tainted by one's on bias beliefs. The fact is that the world of academia in fields of science are highly biased against creationism and highly promotive of a secular atheist perspective of the world. So no wonder that a vast majority filtered through such a system comes out being anti-Bible or creationist.

The problem I see is that this bias is so intense that if a scientist dares go against the grain and promote evidence that contradicts evolution or supports the Bible, they face the risk of being attacked or discredited by his peers. They may lose their career or source of income. Better to just ignore that evidence and go with the masses. Dr. Eben Alexander is a good example. He was an atheist neurosurgeon who did not believe in life after death until he had a near death experience. He decided to go public with his story and got laughed at and discredited by his peers. Of course, atheists immediately rejected his story because they HAVE to.
Got to hand it to the Jesuit priest hating God and religion. And other devout Christian, Jewish and Muslim scientists always finding things to discredit Believers. That is all hogwash on your part. You expect us to accept the words, not the works, of a tiny tiny mi or its and to also except your word that 99.85% of earth and life scientists are either totally bias, dishonest or cowards. And you also accuse the scientists of all being atheists regardless if they are religious or not.

The only extreme bias and prejudice I see about science and scientists is from you but that is hardly unexpected as I have read and heard enough of creationists and Bible Believer leaders to know that the do preach total distrust of anyone who is not of them and with creationists, outright lies about what scientists actually say. I get it, you are willing to call world class scientists who have PhDs and decades of research and publishing papers as dishonest or stupid based just on the one idea that you think that whatever you believe is an indisputable fact.

I do find it very difficult to respect anyone who dismisses all people who do not agree with their worldview as bias whether it be scientists, judges, other religions, media etc. I can tell you outright that in order for creationists to be right nit only every field of science must be wrong but so must every other religion and much of Christianity but of course those other Christians only count when you wish to claim how Christianity must be right due to the numbers.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So you're a bandwagoner? You think that if something is popular it must be true?
No I am an athe and according to Bible Believers God must be true because we are in a small minority. No with the way science works if creationists did actual science they could get their work published and have it accepted as science and we would no longer accept evolution or an old earth but they do not and cry that is unfair and you accept that regardless of how silly their ideas are.

Speaking of bandwagon why do most of Bible Believers accept the Creationists spin?

Old 08-08-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You're not telling the whole story. What about the ethics of the city forcing Ham to charge a special 50 cent tax on every ticket sale and therefore having Ham foot the bill for the city's entire police, fire and EMS department for a small town? If the park has 5000 visitors a day, then I believe that is $2500 a day. Now multiple that by 365 days and you are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. It sounds to me that the city is trying to take advantage of the park.
Wouldn't it be the paying customers that are paying that tax and considering the cost of admission I do not see how 50 cents would deter many people. And if he does not collect for the city why should the city taxpayers pay for the extra costs?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
This.

I find it incredible the twists and turns I've seen from some trying to defend Ham's ham handed attempt at skirting this fee.

Just incredible.
Sometimes I wonder that if a fundamentalist got drunk and ran over an atheist walking on the sidewalk that they would be able to spin it so the drunk driver was actually the victim. Or if a fundamentalist got made and shot an atheist they would attack the atheist for stealing the bullet. So why is not honoring a contract any different? Ham should not have to honour his contract because he is a Bible Believing Christian?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
This.

I find it incredible the twists and turns I've seen from some trying to defend Ham's ham handed attempt at skirting this fee.

Just incredible.
Such mental gymnastics come naturally to those who have mastered the 8th Dan of Contortionist Fundy-Ku of "explaining" the contradictions and outright nonsense in the bible.

Alas (sort of) those attempting the 9th and final Dan, have all strangled themselves.

Thus far, none have risen after three (3) days.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Such mental gymnastics come naturally to those who have mastered the 8th Dan of Contortionist Fundy-Ku of "explaining" the contradictions and outright nonsense in the bible.

Alas (sort of) those attempting the 9th and final Dan, have all strangled themselves.

Thus far, none have risen after three (3) days.

It is simply inconceivable to them that they are not 100% right. Because of this, I think, they are attempting to make everything else fit into what they think is the truth. Everything that does not fit their belief must be a lie, incompetent or hates them and their God. Perhaps they just cannot conceive any other reason for not agreeing with them other than bias and hate. They don't see their twists and convolution or how silly some of their ideas are.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
It is simply inconceivable to them that they are not 100% right. Because of this, I think, they are attempting to make everything else fit into what they think is the truth. Everything that does not fit their belief must be a lie, incompetent or hates them and their God. Perhaps they just cannot conceive any other reason for not agreeing with them other than bias and hate. They don't see their twists and convolution or how silly some of their ideas are.
They force-fit wrong jigsaw pieces and declare that jumbled, mish-mash a completed puzzle -- when to anyone with non-glazed eyes, it's a jumbled mish-mash of force-fit, wrong jigsaw pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality