Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It has failed...

The Ark isn’t saving its hometown from an economic flood.

A local Kentucky lawmaker said the evangelical Ark Encounter theme park hasn’t had the ripple effects on its home county that it promised.

Grant County, where the 510-foot-long recreation of Noah’s Ark from the Bible is located, is facing bankruptcy, according to local reports.

The Ark Encounter opened in July amid criticism that the theme park, which teaches a creationist theory, was receiving tax breaks from the county.

Local economy in Kentucky town that's home to Noah’s Ark theme park is drowning
That's nothing but a gloss piece that tells me nothing specifically. Even the article has to admit that it is not Ken's fault that the city isn't doing well financially. A nearby city is doing well because they have the hotels and that's where the tourists go. You can't blame Ken because people did not develop hotels nearby. After a long day at the park, people are going to drive back to their hotel. Not wander downtown and visit Sue's Sweet shop or whatever.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Then stop teaching the lie of evolution in public schools. You have no proof that men came from primates and not God.
And yet you get upset when anyone says anything negative about your Bibke. So established science in which creationists have not been able to actually disprove is a lie but your Bible with BS about a global flood with zero evidence for a global flood in the geology, no natural explanation for either the origin or disappearance for the flood water had to be right just because you believe that everything in it is the literal truth dictated by your God. That entire idea of the Bible being literal isn't even accepted by most Christians. Sure you can call something you refuse to even understand and constantly repeated lies about what evolution actually says. The only lie is your statement about evolution.

Man is a primate, basic biology. And why should YOUR region be taught in schools instead of science. According to your flood geology creationists you also have to teach kids that everything in science is false, including physics. Also history cannot be true in your notion, stats , chemistry, biology, civics etc. Just because a group of religious fundamentalists refuse to allow anything that does not agree with their interepetation of their religion. It is this dishonest attack on science, civics, other religions, equal rights and so forth is the only reason most people appear to oppose you and your kind. Your type of religion is the lie, not evolution or human rights.

You brought up calling something a lie with zero evidence, don't see why others cannot call you out.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:11 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Then stop teaching the lie of evolution in public schools. You have no proof that men came from primates and not God.
We have all the proof in the world Jeff. See, here's the thing, we ARE primates. Not only that but we are mammals too. And we are animals. By definition, Jeff. Mammals have mammary glands - more romantically, breasts. We feed our babies mothers milk. We are animals - not plants or lichens. We can move around and we mate to produce offspring (although humans, like bonobos, mate for fun). We are primates because we just are. Like bonobos, we mate for fun. But more importantly we have all the primate characteristics. Like DNA, skeletal characteristics and all that. We also have similar breasts. Well, our women do anyway.

Why do you think we came from God?

And by the way, you are calling evolution a lie - that is a strong accusation and you need to be able to back it up with facts and evidence. Now would be a good time to present such facts and evidence.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Or at least what you guys believe to be the truth, right?
No, truth really has nothing to do with what you or I believe, but what has been demonstrated to comport with reality.
Scientifically, we know that the ark, supposedly built in the Bible character Noah's time, would not be seaworthy. Now, if there was some supernatural force on it that allowed it to be so, then you have quite a burden to overcome. First, you would need to prove that such a realm exists, one that defies and overcomes the laws of physics in our natural realm. Then you'll need to demonstrate that an intelligent agent exists in that realm that is willing and able to intervene into our cosmos. After that, you'll need to demonstrate that specifically the Abrahamic God is this willing and able agent.

I'm looking forward to hearing the evidence of this.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
We have all the proof in the world Jeff. See, here's the thing, we ARE primates. Not only that but we are mammals too. And we are animals. By definition, Jeff. Mammals have mammary glands - more romantically, breasts. We feed our babies mothers milk. We are animals - not plants or lichens. We can move around and we mate to produce offspring (although humans, like bonobos, mate for fun). We are primates because we just are. Like bonobos, we mate for fun. But more importantly we have all the primate characteristics. Like DNA, skeletal characteristics and all that. We also have similar breasts. Well, our women do anyway.

You have proven nothing. All I see is subjective evidence. I could easily say that is evidence of a creator using the same blu-print. Futhermore, you can't explain why out of the thousands of species, only human beings can talk, create art, writing and music, a sense of morality, bury our dead, and a strong sense of self and individuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

Why do you think we came from God?

And by the way, you are calling evolution a lie - that is a strong accusation and you need to be able to back it up with facts and evidence. Now would be a good time to present such facts and evidence.
Evolution is a lie because I know God exists. Course I learned long ago that it is a waste of time trying to present evidence to someone who has a deeply rooted bias against Christianity.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
No, truth really has nothing to do with what you or I believe, but what has been demonstrated to comport with reality.
Scientifically, we know that the ark, supposedly built in the Bible character Noah's time, would not be seaworthy. Now, if there was some supernatural force on it that allowed it to be so, then you have quite a burden to overcome. First, you would need to prove that such a realm exists, one that defies and overcomes the laws of physics in our natural realm. Then you'll need to demonstrate that an intelligent agent exists in that realm that is willing and able to intervene into our cosmos. After that, you'll need to demonstrate that specifically the Abrahamic God is this willing and able agent.

I'm looking forward to hearing the evidence of this.
Funny, I'm finding the opposite to be true. Psychics graduates studied and deemed that the Ark would be seaworthy.

Quote:

So, if one could hypothetically build an ark to the specifications outlined in the Bible, and actually cram two of every species on the boat, would it float or would Noah have found himself in a Titanic-like scenario? That’s what four physics graduate students at the University of Leicester wondered. As part of a special course that encourages the students to apply basic physics principles to more general questions, the team did the math and found that an ark full of animals in those dimensions could theoretically float. They recently published their research in a peer-reviewed, student-run publication, the Journal of Physics Special Topics.

You don’t think of the Bible necessarily as a scientifically accurate source of information, so I guess we were quite surprised when we discovered it would work,” said Thomas Morris, one of the students who worked on the project, in a statement.

To float, a boat has to exert the same amount of force on the ocean as the weight of the water it displaces. This buoyancy force is essentially the biggest weight the ark could hold and not sink. To put it another way, an object with a density greater than water will sink. So if the Bible gives an approximate volume of the ark, and after factoring in the mass of the wood used to build it, one could figure out how much mass the system could take before it becomes more dense than water and sinks.

Now that we've defined the constraints on the system...what in the world is a cubit? Ancients defined a cubit as the distance from a person's elbow to tip of their middle finger. In modern units, this can typically range from 45.5 centimeters to 52.3 centimeters.

Could Noah

That's the thing I find intriguing. If Noah's Ark is just a myth story or legend like others from that time period, why would it have such premise details like measurements? Did the Greeks record the exact measurements of the Trojan horse? I believe they just said it was a big horse.

That tells me that the Biblical account is true and was carefully preserved. The Dea Sea scrolls support this as well.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:28 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Funny, I'm finding the opposite to be true. Psychics graduates studied and deemed that the Ark would be seaworthy.

Could Noah

That's the thing I find intriguing. If Noah's Ark is just a myth story or legend like others from that time period, why would it have such premise details like measurements? Did the Greeks record the exact measurements of the Trojan horse? I believe they just said it was a big horse.

That tells me that the Biblical account is true and was carefully preserved. The Dea Sea scrolls support this as well.
That's not quite the case. The students deemed that it could theoretically float. That's a far cry from being seaworthy. There's a reason that no wooden ship has ever been built that large, because it wouldn't be seaworthy.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That's not quite the case. The students deemed that it could theoretically float. That's a far cry from being seaworthy. There's a reason that no wooden ship has ever been built that large, because it wouldn't be seaworthy.

You claimed that the boat was not sea worthy. Really, where is your proof? These students who know a thing or two about psychics believe it is. I'll take their opinion over yours. If theories count for nothing then fine. I'll toss out the theory of evolution. You can't have it both ways.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
You claimed that the boat was not sea worthy. Really, where is your proof? These students who know a thing or two about psychics believe it is. I'll take their opinion over yours. If theories count for nothing then fine. I'll toss out the theory of evolution. You can't have it both ways.
What did they say after filling the boat up with 7 pair of clean and 2 pair of unclean animals?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:18 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
The Wyoming could float but was not seaworthy. What about the rest of the article that said science does not support the Biblical tale, their words. Plus the article stated that the Ark could hypothetically float. You keep deliberately misrepresent what the word theory means in science. That is, on your part, a sure sign of dishonesty in your debating.

Read up the history of the Wyoming and why it broke up in the sea. There is your proof as that was the largest wooden ship ever build and it could not take the stresses that being in the ocean. And if you dismiss the reasons due to God could do better, you could just as easily have Noah build it entirety of stone and have the same argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.