Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
For starters, the incorrect idea that our Constitution requires a separation of church and state.
For starters, you seem to be incapable of understanding what the 1st Amendment really says, even though you have been told many times, with links.

Here's how it works. Unlike the bible, you don't get to interpret in the way you see fit. We have schooled judges who do that, and some decisions you will like, and some you won't. It doesn't matter, what matters is their decisions are what counts.

Your opinion in this case, does not. Nor does mine. Or Sally's or Ali's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:33 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The FFRF needs to be classified as a hate group. That's all they are.
I wonder if you'd be singing the same tune if they stepped in to prevent buses full of public school students from going on a field trip to a mosque where they'd be taught how Mohammed was the Seal of the Prophets and the final earthly word of the God of Abraham.

Which, of course, they would do.

Then again, since you seem okay with public school and taxpayer's money being spent on field trips to the Ark Museum, where they are told it is representative of a passage in actual history, you'd be okay with school kids being shipped off to a Mosque for the reasons I mentioned above.

I guess you'd have to be, because otherwise, you'd be a hypocrite of the highest order.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:42 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lots of good, decent people in Kentucky. Beautiful state. Great food. It's ridiculous to say the entire state has reached a new level of wackiness because of the actions of the extremists.

Are you from Louisville~? I remember the Dew Drop Inn

Old 07-14-2016, 06:43 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Except marriage is not an essential function of his job.
In some states, it is optional for judges to perform marriages. But if they do it at all they have to do it for anyone. It is not legal to deny those services based on (ir)religion or sexual orientation for example. What a judge in such a state can do, is stop performing marriages at all, if the judge does not want to make reasonable accommodation for or service all comers.

I recall that Texas is such a state, if I'm not mistaken; there are others. If the FFRF is expending resources on this then it's likely that Kentucky is not such a state.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 PM

Really sick of hateful ignorant intolerant bigots hiding behind their "loving god" to publicly practice their hateful ignorant intolerant bigotry.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:55 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I wonder if you'd be singing the same tune if they stepped in to prevent buses full of public school students from going on a field trip to a mosque where they'd be taught how Mohammed was the Seal of the Prophets and the final earthly word of the God of Abraham.

Which, of course, they would do.

Then again, since you seem okay with public school and taxpayer's money being spent on field trips to the Ark Museum, where they are told it is representative of a passage in actual history, you'd be okay with school kids being shipped off to a Mosque for the reasons I mentioned above.

I guess you'd have to be, because otherwise, you'd be a hypocrite of the highest order.
I don't have any problem with them going to see a religious artifact or building. Just like I wouldn't have any problem visiting something Angkor Wat or Mayan temples. Calling me a hypocrite is nothing more than a cheap tactic of directing the conversation against me personally.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Easy to say, Jeff, just to gain a move. But I can just hear you screaming blue murder at news that a school class was taken to a mosque to explain Islam to them. And I know who you'd be blaming too.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Easy to say, Jeff, just to gain a move. But I can just hear you screaming blue murder at news that a school class was taken to a mosque to explain Islam to them. And I know who you'd be blaming too.
Yep. Right on.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:42 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The good news is, that Kim Davis's contempt conviction was upheld, and stays on her record.

Kim Davis Loses Appeal of Contempt Charge That Sent Her to Jail - The New Civil Rights Movement

However, the same inane devotion to some old superstitious fairy tales is held by a judge in Trigg County. He refused to preform a secular marriage as required by law, saying that, "I include God in my ceremonies, and I won't do one without him."

The FFRF were advised, and have started proceedings.

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...ligious-couple

Great to see an organization as passionate about the 1st Amendment as the NRA is about the 2nd.
I'm sure if this happened in a Muslim community in the United States the FFRF would have been silent.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:44 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't have any problem with them going to see a religious artifact or building. Just like I wouldn't have any problem visiting something Angkor Wat or Mayan temples. Calling me a hypocrite is nothing more than a cheap tactic of directing the conversation against me personally.
jeffbase40, when your attackers are bankrupt for logical arguments, you always know that when they resort to attacking you. It is such a pity but very telling at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality