Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm not trying to knock your post down but your post refers to the medulla oblongata where "God insulates the cosmic energy that keeps you alive". Did you know that catfish and European minnows have medulla oblongata's??? In fact, I'd have to do some research, but I'm pretty sure medulla oblongata's are a trait found in almost all vertebrate animals...
If I remember right, in 7th grade biology (a bout 100 years AGO) I learned that the medulla oblongata was the most primitive part of the human brain that controls automatic functions such as breathing and the beating of the heart..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
My only knowledge of the medulla oblongata came from the "Water Boy" movie with Adam Sandler.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
My only knowledge of the medulla oblongata came from the "Water Boy" movie with Adam Sandler.
Oh gosh, that was my immediate thought too...I'm so glad someone else thought of it as well.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
We have four bodies: here they are:

physical (our physical body) some say we are no more than this
mental (our intellect, thinking mind) some say this is "running the show"
emotional (our feeling center, our emotions, our "heart center) some say the highest part because when we come from a place of love we are at our most evolved
spiritual (our eternal portion that exists before and after physical birth and death)

Each of us has all 4 of these bodies. The one driving the bus is the spirit. Since we have free will, we can choose to exist only in one or another of these bodies, to the detriment of the others. That is when a person is out of balance in their life, for a person needs to be living in and developing all 4 bodies to live a healthy balanced life.

So to say we have a brain, yes, that gets us part of the way there, some evolvement but not a whole lot more than saying we are just a body. Because to say the brain is the be all and end all excludes the emotions and many people who are exceedingly stuck in their heads DO IGNORE their emotions, they are the ones who have trouble feeling and expressing and understanding their emotions and feelings in their daily lives.

Even farther "up the tree" of evolvement is recognizing the spiritual body that each of us has whether we acknowledge it or claim it does not exist. (I can claim that gravity doesn't exist but that doesn't mean it's not there.) It's not about a specific god or religous being, it is a way of identifying the force of life that flows through us.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:01 PM

Scientists can get really extreme and narrow minded in thinking, and medicine is an example of this. Accupuncture is a medicine that has been around keeping people healthy for thousands of years, long before "modern Western medicine" appeared. It is a proven system of health and healing. Modern science totally discounts it because it is based entirely on "non physical" structures in the body, the meridians that carry life force energy (chi, whatever you want to call it) through the body, in channels or veins, maps show them, just like other maps show bones and muscles of our physical body.

So to say that it is electricity is correct in a way, because it is an electrical type of force, but it does not come from the brain. We connect to this "electricity" both above us (through the crown of your head) and below us (through the soles of our feet).

Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
We have four bodies: here they are:

physical (our physical body) some say we are no more than this
mental (our intellect, thinking mind) some say this is "running the show"
emotional (our feeling center, our emotions, our "heart center) some say the highest part because when we come from a place of love we are at our most evolved
spiritual (our eternal portion that exists before and after physical birth and death)

Each of us has all 4 of these bodies. The one driving the bus is the spirit. Since we have free will, we can choose to exist only in one or another of these bodies, to the detriment of the others. That is when a person is out of balance in their life, for a person needs to be living in and developing all 4 bodies to live a healthy balanced life.

So to say we have a brain, yes, that gets us part of the way there, some evolvement but not a whole lot more than saying we are just a body. Because to say the brain is the be all and end all excludes the emotions and many people who are exceedingly stuck in their heads DO IGNORE their emotions, they are the ones who have trouble feeling and expressing and understanding their emotions and feelings in their daily lives.

Even farther "up the tree" of evolvement is recognizing the spiritual body that each of us has whether we acknowledge it or claim it does not exist. (I can claim that gravity doesn't exist but that doesn't mean it's not there.) It's not about a specific god or being, it is the force of life that flows through us.
There is evidence for gravity. That's why it's not rejected by an physicist or astronomer. As far as your talk about different bodies, you're passing it off like it is fact, which is not true. We have the brain (what you may refer to as the mental body) that controls the body (what you referred to as physical body). Emotions are in the brain and are not separate. The heart is just a muscle that pumps blood. There are no mystical characteristics behind it. There is no evidence of a spirit, so comparing it to the existence of gravity is ludicrous, because gravity has been proven. Many things that we could say have to do with spirit or soul are just delusions in our minds. The brain can do more things than people think. It's been proven that when people's brains are in certain states, they have "near death" experiences or out-of-body experiences, but these were just delusions in the brain. A scientist tested himself by getting in a barrel that span really fast for at least half an hour. He eventually passed out and when he did, he had an experience similar to what many in hospitals claim to have. The brain works different ways in different situations. As far as your little statement about the spirit existing after death, that's great, except you forget to mention that memory exists in the brain, so how could you even be the same person after death? And even if you do carry memory after death, where does that leave people with Alzheimer's?

Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Scientists can get really extreme and narrow minded in thinking, and medicine is an example of this. Accupuncture is a medicine that has been around keeping people healthy for thousands of years, long before "modern Western medicine" appeared. It is a proven system of health and healing. Modern science totally discounts it because it is based entirely on "non physical" structures in the body, the meridians that carry life force energy (chi, whatever you want to call it) through the body, in channels or veins, maps show them, just like other maps show bones and muscles of our physical body.

So to say that it is electricity is correct in a way, because it is an electrical type of force, but it does not come from the brain. We connect to this "electricity" both above us (through the crown of your head) and below us (through the soles of our feet).
Once again, where is the evidence to your claims? There has been no evidence that accupuncture is a reliable medicine.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
There is evidence for gravity. That's why it's not rejected by an physicist or astronomer. As far as your talk about different bodies, you're passing it off like it is fact, which is not true. We have the brain (what you may refer to as the mental body) that controls the body (what you referred to as physical body). Emotions are in the brain and are not separate. The heart is just a muscle that pumps blood. There are no mystical characteristics behind it. There is no evidence of a spirit, so comparing it to the existence of gravity is ludicrous, because gravity has been proven. Many things that we could say have to do with spirit or soul are just delusions in our minds. The brain can do more things than people think. It's been proven that when people's brains are in certain states, they have "near death" experiences or out-of-body experiences, but these were just delusions in the brain. A scientist tested himself by getting in a barrel that span really fast for at least half an hour. He eventually passed out and when he did, he had an experience similar to what many in hospitals claim to have. The brain works different ways in different situations. As far as your little statement about the spirit existing after death, that's great, except you forget to mention that memory exists in the brain, so how could you even be the same person after death? And even if you do carry memory after death, where does that leave people with Alzheimer's?
Returning to the concept of the bodies, which in my humble opinion (with no intention to shove my beliefs on no one) I would join the mental and emotional body in one.

why this? because thought force creates energy, the stronger the energy generated the stronger the emotions it generates.

Now answering Haaziq questions, it is true that nowadays we have evidence about gravity, but what some centuries in the past, we didn't know about such force, yet it existed. The same with spirit and soul, they are there but we don't have the means to see them (supposedly) because the truth is that we are endowed with such mechanisms within us, but few people know how to develop them.

Now returning to the bodies concept, we have 3 bodies (imho, no absolute truths here)

The physical body
The astral body, which is composed of light and energy, feelings, emotions
The causal or ideational body, which is just the stream of our consciousness, willpower, individuality and living desire.

The astral body is an energy expression of that consciousness, and it is responsible for the unvoluntary mechanisms that occur within our physical body among many other things, emotions are also generated within this astral body of which the physical body is a grosser expression to interact with this phyisical plane of existence, that is why in the physical realm, the heart is nothing else but a blood pumping machine, yet emotions can mess with it.

Now speaking about memory, death, and alzheimer, what happens is the following again (imho), when we are born again in the physical plane, we have no consciousness of our previous life, of our former existence in the physical plane or about our time in the astral realm, yet we retain the tendencies and habits from past lives, as well as the desires.

Have you ever met a person that you felt you knew? something of his/her features, specially expressions or energy, is tremendously familiar to you, this could be an encounter with a friend from past lifes.

Now about alzheimer, being the physical body the physical expression of the subtler bodies, if it gets damaged, the connection with your other bodies will suffer too, so in a brain that has suffered enough damage to develop alzheimer the connection between the astral and physical body will suffer, but when that person passes away and remains in the astral plane he/she'll be back to normal, the same when a new body is generated.

Now, you want scientifical proof about all this huh? otherwise is just magical thought replacing scientific thought

you'd have to give meditation a shot then, but not just for a few days, but make it a discipline and get to develop those centers of subtle perception within you.

Aas a last word I have to say that one of the strongest points of science, is one of it's great weaknesses as well. which is that nothing that can't be proven could be declared as existent.

While this has made science evolve with a solid and "foolproof base" it has also limited it's development until new technologies which provide new resources to prove hypotheses are developed, for example let's take the aether theory into consideration, when quantum physics arrived, they first embracede the aether concept, saying that if mechanical waves weave air, then electromagnetic waves such as light had to weave something as well, but as there were no ways to prove the existence of aether, it was later discarded and said that electromagnetic waves just travel around through space and time without any medium carrying them, and now the latest generation of scientists are reviving the old aether theory with another name, dark matter/energy, because they don't know what it is, they haven't proven that it exists, yet it completes the theory.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Once again, where is the evidence to your claims? There has been no evidence that accupuncture is a reliable medicine.
It just seems a little short-sighted to discount such an advanced and successful civilization that has lasted for tens of thousands of years and given the world so much. It is a reliable medicine based on the millions of people who have been successfully treated! It wouldn't continue if it was not successful. It IS a medical science and has far more satisfied customers than "modern western medicine" and has been around a lot longer too.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Aas a last word I have to say that one of the strongest points of science, is one of it's great weaknesses as well. which is that nothing that can't be proven could be declared as existent.
this is a great point. Scientists oftentimes are unwilling to walk through the very steps that would "prove" to them certain things that they claim do not exist.

It's like trying to "prove" to someone that you feel loved...you know it because you have feelings, you trust your feelings, you trust your experiences. But according to science that is hogwash because you can't prove it! Same things for the feelings of ecstasy, rapture that people experience during a beautiful piece of music, or sunset. According to science they don't exist because you can't prove them.

I know what my mind tells me, and I also know and trust what my experience tells me. I don't need to convince anyone of that. But to discount entire realms of life experience because science is so narrow in what it "believes" exists....is both anarrogant and shortsighted view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality