Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:42 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

FFRF To Challenge Clergy Housing Tax Break

Expect there to be a ton of screaming not only on this forum, but in the pastor community in general on this one. And you know, it would not be such an issue IF that community could have controlled the excess that some members showed by having multiple mansions and calling them pastoral residences.

What I like about this as the FFRF brings it up the chain of courts to SCOTUS is that there very likely will be rulings that come out of it that will enable it to litigate the whole church tax exemption thing.

But one step at a time.

Oh, I know, some will call the FFRF bullies, and some will call them meddling. This should get interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Expect there to be a ton of screaming not only on this forum, but in the pastor community in general on this one. And you know, it would not be such an issue IF that community could have controlled the excess that some members showed by having multiple mansions and calling them pastoral residences.

What I like about this as the FFRF brings it up the chain of courts to SCOTUS is that there very likely will be rulings that come out of it that will enable it to litigate the whole church tax exemption thing.

But one step at a time.

Oh, I know, some will call the FFRF bullies, and some will call them meddling. This should get interesting.
At least it will put the shamers to task...You know, the likes of Hinn, Meyers, Olsteen, Prince, etc...It's interesting that their I'll like to quote Paul so much and nobody asks them why they are not living like Paul lived...Working as a tentmaker 6 DAYS a week and preaching in the Synagogues on Sundays...

Old 09-05-2016, 08:11 PM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
This seems to be more about the lack of a cap on the exemption than on the exemption itself. It's an overreach that a ministry could pay a minister thousands per month so long as it's the fair rental value of some mansion. Since various ministries have foolishly fought to save this open-ended capless exemption, they may end up losing it altogether.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Greed will do for them, yet.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:13 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

But one step at a time.

Yes. They're bullies. I get a housing allowance because I make about $27k/year. My job requires me to live in a house next to the church. I am not able to buy a home due to the nature of my job. I serve the church and the community.

But the article makes an interesting point. Until now, we could not file lawsuits to complain about the tax breaks that others get. This will open a floodgate for all kinds of lawsuits against certain organizations that the moonbats find sacred.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,306,440 times
"To Serve Man".

Old 09-06-2016, 08:20 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. They're bullies. I get a housing allowance because I make about $27k/year. My job requires me to live in a house next to the church. I am not able to buy a home due to the nature of my job. I serve the church and the community.

But the article makes an interesting point. Until now, we could not file lawsuits to complain about the tax breaks that others get. This will open a floodgate for all kinds of lawsuits against certain organizations that the moonbats find sacred.
I know people making less, and do not have a housing allowance. Yet you complain about bullies. Try working a minimum wage job with no housing allowance.

I hope your free housing stops being free. All perks are taxed for the rest of us.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:22 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I know people making less, and do not have a housing allowance. Yet you complain about bullies. Try working a minimum wage job with no housing allowance.

I hope your free housing stops being free. All perks are taxed for the rest of us.
So jealousy means that instead of one getting a tax break, no one does? Is that it? That's what liberalism teaches? That we're all equally unhappy and equally poor?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:24 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:

It sounds like you live in a parsonage owned by the church. I'm not sure this would affect you even if the case were won by the plaintiffs--this case seems to be limited to the uncapped tax exemption that clergy have on homes that they personally own.

When I was active duty military, we often (not always) had an option to live in base family housing or live off base in a rented home or a purchased home. If we lived off base, we received a fairly modest housing allowance (explicitly calculated to be only 75% of our estimated housing cost). That housing allowance for living off-base was tax-exempted, but the fact that it was only a specific amount essentially equated to a capped exemption.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:24 AM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:

You are dodging the issue that there is no cap on the allowance and it is therefore abused mightily by some ministries. And that various religious organizations are foolishly defending this open-ended benefit out of a combination of greed (in the case of those large ministries who wish to park their leaders in palatial estates) and ideology (in the case of those whose persecution narrative forces them to see this as a bogus slippery-slope concern).

I personally have no issue with your housing allowance as I suspect it provides modest / adequate housing for couple with children and a family that size certainly can't live on $27k a year by itself.

As to the matter of standing, the FFRF had to jump through some hoops to gain it and they now have it because they have jumped through those hoops. Nothing has been "opened" that wasn't already there, they have simply worked their way around a technicality so that they are now able to present a case which still must stand or fall on its merits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality