Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:28 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,937,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
God granted such power to early Christians ensuring the establishment of Christianity. This is evident in the accounts recorded in Acts 3:2-9 and 20: 9-11. However once the Christian congregations were firmly established it was no longer necessary to provide the type of miracles that you are referring to. Additionally, the apostle Paul explained it via an illustration found in 1 Corinthians 13:11. It's no coincidence that the Bible describes our relationship with God as that between a son (daughter) and Father. As humans mature our relationship and interaction with our parents evolves. So to as we mature spiritually our relationship with our Creator evolves. Paul even wrote that supernatural abilities would be done away with (see 1 Corinthians 13:8).

One should not forget that miracles do not affect people in the same way. There were plenty of miracles performed by God in freeing Abraham's offspring from Egyptian bondage and on the way to the promised land yet many would rebel and turn away from serving him. Jesus performed miracles, raising the dead, restoring sight to the blind, healing every sort of infirmity, but that didn't stop people from executing him.

Christians today have the Bible in its entirety to learn from. The actions and words of Jesus and the apostles are recorded for our benefit and to build our faith. The early Christians endured and Christianity spread without having grandiose churches, or idols to worship, or elaborate rituals. Christians who want to follow Jesus do the same today...keep it simple and worship with spirit and truth.

Everything you quote was based on that master salesman, Paul. Well, Acts might have been Luke.

But let's deconstruct this. How is it any different that we are told we don't need to actually see miracles anymore than Joseph Smith saying that since he used his seer stones, no one needs to see the actual golden tablets that he 'translated' from to get the Book of Mormon? How is it different from Mohammed saying the Arch Angel Gabriel came and visited him to deliver the Koran? How is it different from Bahá'u'lláh claiming to have the final revelation of the unity of man or his compatriot Siyyid Mírzá `Alí-Muḥammad claiming to be the redeemer foretold in the Koran?

All of those started religious sects. All claim they are the Truth. None can back it up with real historical or physical evidence. So yes, let's have real proof in real time. If Ahab could be shown Baal is not as powerful as Yahweh, then let's see it today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 02:18 PM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Absolutely NOT!. Fear casts out love and God IS love. Love casts out all fear. There is no place for fear in a relationship with God, period. That is a satanic concept designed to ensure a lack of connection with God.
"The fear of god" was always presented to me as "reverential awe", not some sort of terror. To fear god is to respect him. So when Viz says "you should fear god" I hear "you should respect god". Of course one would have to establish god's existence and have some form of communication conducive to an actual relationship before there could be either respect or disrespect afforded to him.

I do think the common English meaning of "fear" has been leveraged by Christianity though, so when Viz says "you should fear god" (especially in the context he was speaking) I suspect he really DOES mean that one should be worried about what god could do to you ... or as Jesus himself is supposed to have said, "fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell". So your critique is still valid. I suspect my sub-group within fundamentalism was trying to soften the rough edges of what it means to fear god, but their efforts were not entirely justified by scripture.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:23 PM

18,509 posts, read 9,185,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
"The fear of god" was always presented to me as "reverential awe", not some sort of terror. To fear god is to respect him. So when Viz says "you should fear god" I hear "you should respect god". Of course one would have to establish god's existence and have some form of communication conducive to an actual relationship before there could be either respect or disrespect afforded to him.

I do think the common English meaning of "fear" has been leveraged by Christianity though, so when Viz says "you should fear god" (especially in the context he was speaking) I suspect he really DOES mean that one should be worried about what god could do to you ... or as Jesus himself is supposed to have said, "fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell". So your critique is still valid. I suspect my sub-group within fundamentalism was trying to soften the rough edges of what it means to fear god, but their efforts were not entirely justified by scripture.
It seems like your fundamentalist group was much less "fire and brimstone" than most of them. Or at least, your group was less "fire and brimstone" than mine. Maybe that's why you had less difficulty getting out of it.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:33 PM

15,894 posts, read 6,354,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I was told the fear of God was to fear displeasing him.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:33 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Absolutely NOT!. Fear casts out love and God IS love. Love casts out all fear. There is no place for fear in a relationship with God, period. That is a satanic concept designed to ensure a lack of connection with God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Are your beliefs not based on the Bible?
Yes they are, but they are intelligently based using the revelations of Christ, not blindly accepting everything in it. Fear of God was the beginning of wisdom for our primitive barbarian ancestors, not the end of wisdom.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:27 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,050,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Personally, I believe that anyone who doesn't worship the Giant Extradimensional Space Crabs* will be cast into the eternal lake of boiling garlic butter sauce after they die.

*the true creators of the universe and all life on planet earth
I could get behind this idea

Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,650,620 times
Quote:
Yes they are, but they are intelligently based using the revelations of Christ, not blindly accepting everything in it. Fear of God was the beginning of wisdom for our primitive barbarian ancestors, not the end of wisdom.
So fearing God and keeping His commandments is no longer the whole duty of man, in your opinion?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:38 AM

689 posts, read 550,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So, christians, what about using this same technique to prove your god exists. What task do you suggest we use?
First question. How can you or anyone else be saved if God is proven?

God only answers requests from His chosen prophets to that extent because they are chosen to be God's eye-witnesses. Other humans will have to put faith to believe or not.

It seems you have a lot of questions you make use to attack Christianity. However most of those questions are with answers which your intelligence may fail to reach. Those questions are only your own stumbling block for you to fail to see the truth of God. In the end, you are a victim of your own low IQ.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:55 AM

18,509 posts, read 9,185,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I could get behind this idea
How dare you post a picture of the Giant Extradimensional Space Crabs! You will surely be punished accordingly.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,937,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
First question. How can you or anyone else be saved if God is proven?

God only answers requests from His chosen prophets to that extent because they are chosen to be God's eye-witnesses. Other humans will have to put faith to believe or not.

It seems you have a lot of questions you make use to attack Christianity. However most of those questions are with answers which your intelligence may fail to reach. Those questions are only your own stumbling block for you to fail to see the truth of God. In the end, you are a victim of your own low IQ.
Translation:

Drink the koolaid. It's good for you. And if that fails, insult, as that is the best way to indulge in an intellectual discussion. Sort of like a trump-anzee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality