Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:33 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times

Advertisements

I have seen and heard many conservative or fundamentalist religious folks and leaders (of any faith or denomination) call for legal gay marriage overturned, some even going so far as wanting to make "homosexual acts" illegal, and yet I've never heard of a single religious leader calling for adultery to be made illegal in the US.

Why is that?

I mean, the holy books are pretty clear on the rules about fidelity in marriage, the importance of the marital unit, the sinfulness of going outside the marriage (even thinking about it in some cases!), sometimes even calling for the death of adulterers. But all I hear about is homosexuality being a sin, an abomination, an attack on traditional America or "traditional values."

And yet...cheating on one's spouse and potentially bringing home an STD, getting someone else pregnant/getting pregnant with someone else's child, not to mention the total betrayal and possible divorce, is far, far more damaging to couples, families, children, and the fabric of Western society than the same sex couple down the street getting married and maybe adopting a few kids that no one else could be bothered with.

I can guarantee you that there are far, far more adulterers in your houses of worship than there are gay people.

So where is the call for punishing adulterers and calling them out on their sins? Why isn't there an equally strong push to make adultery illegal so that people know just how important, traditional, and sacred marriage must be considered?

Last edited by MoonBeam33; 11-22-2016 at 01:55 AM..

Old 11-22-2016, 01:51 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,001,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I have seen and heard any conservative or fundamentalist religious folks and leaders (of any faith or denomination) call for legal gay marriage overturned, some even going so far as wanting to make "homosexual acts" illegal, and yet I've never heard of a single religious leader calling for adultery to be made illegal in the US.

Why is that?

I mean, the holy books are pretty clear on the rules about fidelity in marriage, the importance of the marital unit, the sinfulness of going outside the marriage (even thinking about it in some cases!), sometimes even calling for the death of adulterers. But all I hear about is homosexuality being a sin, an abomination, an attack on traditional America or "traditional values."

And yet...cheating on one's spouse and potentially bringing home an STD, getting someone else pregnant/getting pregnant with someone else's child, not to mention the total betrayal and possible divorce, is far, far more damaging to couples, families, children, and the fabric of Western society than the same sex couple down the street getting married and maybe adopting a few kids that no one else could be bothered with.

I can guarantee you that there are far, far more adulterers in your houses of worship than there are gay people.

So where is the call for punishing adulterers and calling them out on their sins? Why isn't there an equally strong push to make adultery illegal so that people know just how important, traditional, and sacred marriage must be considered?
Apparently any sex outside of marriage is a sin (which I don't necessarily agree with), hence born agains and cultists tend to marry young.
The word is fornicate, which many of us are guilty of.
And there would be far more fornicators than adulterers, imo anyway.
Imagine trying to make that illegal!
Homosexuals themselves represent probably 3-5% of the population, and that may not include bisexuals or those that may have had a homosexual encounter when they were young, but are now heterosexual.
The whole thing of sexual immorality is really vague, and western secular societies do not recognize it as illegal, and what constitutes immoral is open to interpretation.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:30 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
See all sex outside of marriage would be adultery , as spiritually this would invite the unseen demonic spirits to have authority , which is sin to God , as sin pushes God spiritual authority out of people ..... So God bows out and hand the sinner over to the demons spirit , which people may deny , but are still there like it or not

Old 11-22-2016, 07:01 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Indeed. Evangelicals just supported the election of a serial adulterer to the Presidency, thus destroying what meager credibility they once had as arbiters of moral truth. Why, one Christian woman I saw online actually called Trump a "godly man" who she expected would save Christianity. Now there's a transmutation for you!

The same woman lauded Melania as an example of a "classy" woman as first lady, (*finally*, says she, implying that Michelle Obama was some kind of classless strumpet). When in fact Melania was once so classy as to pose naked, grabbing her own crotch.

So wherever the "call for punishing adulterers" has gotten to, it is well and truly, deeply buried somewhere in the graveyard of other "sins" that fundamentalism used to preach against. Look for the sin of popular entertainments like radio and moving picture houses, skirts that expose naked ankles, failure to attend church three times a week, The Catcher in the Rye, and so forth ... perhaps you will find adultery there. It is certainly not more than a pro forma concern of evangelicals today. Nothing nearly so horrible and unthinkable as homosexuality, to be sure!

Old 11-22-2016, 07:45 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,170,177 times
The potential for a conservative Supreme Court is more important than Trump's adulterous behavior.

Evangelicals would vote for Lucifer himself as long as he promised to put conservative justices on the Supreme Court.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:50 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times
Quote:
I have seen and heard many conservative or fundamentalist religious folks and leaders (of any faith or denomination) call for legal gay marriage overturned, some even going so far as wanting to make "homosexual acts" illegal, and yet I've never heard of a single religious leader calling for adultery to be made illegal in the US.

Why is that?

Uhhhh, adultery is illegal (sorta). You are breaking a social contract which has defined monetary rights. Usually, though, its misdemeanor status is trumped by the fact that it is pretty much the deciding factor for custody in a divorce as well as most of the monetary payout. You sleep around, you are kinda stuck paying your ex for it for years. Putting someone in jail for it is insane, however.

Homosexuality is only illegal in 8 states. And by homosexuality, I don't mean homosexual romantic relationships, I mean certain sex positions (usually anal) that are unsafe anyway. Of those states, many of them cannot enforce their laws beyond just a "you probably should do this" only Texas makes this an actual crime. So ummm, priorities here.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:04 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a single religious leader calling for adultery to be made illegal in the US.

Why is that?
Because most of them are also guilty.
If it were made illegal, what do you figure should be done with the "offenders"?...

Adultery and homosexuality are two very different things...neither of which should be illegal.
There's no-one being hurt from homosexuality.

As adults we can make our own choices....I see adultery as the most harmful to our psyche, and a very cruel, dishonest thing to do...but it's up to us to choose our partners in life, and if they betray us it's not the govs (or anyone else's) business or fault...it's ours.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:57 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:

Why is that?

I've never once called for homosexual acts to be made illegal. Nor have I called for adultery to be illegal...but I do respect that the military has disciplined men that have committed adultery.

I agree that society does tend to look the other way on some sins. Moderator cut: Off topic remark removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-22-2016 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 11-22-2016, 08:58 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The potential for a conservative Supreme Court is more important than Trump's adulterous behavior.

Evangelicals would vote for Lucifer himself as long as he promised to put conservative justices on the Supreme Court.
I'm not aware that Hillary promised a conservative justice.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:32 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,639,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
See all sex outside of marriage would be adultery , as spiritually this would invite the unseen demonic spirits to have authority , which is sin to God , as sin pushes God spiritual authority out of people ..... So God bows out and hand the sinner over to the demons spirit , which people may deny , but are still there like it or not
hmm, you don't think maybe

But I have this against you, that you let the woman Jezebel say she is a prophet
and give false teaching, making my servants go after the desires of the flesh .

So you will stumble during the day, the prophet also will stumble with you at night ...
You stumble day and night, and the false prophets stumble with you; You have

They will bear their guilt--the prophet will be as guilty as the one who ... False prophets
and those who seek their guidance will all be punished for their sins

The man who is honoured and responsible is the head, and the
prophet who gives false teaching is the tail.

take them for themselves: for everyone, from the least to the greatest, is given
up to getting money; from the priest even to the prophet, everyone is false.

But in the prophets of Jerusalem I have seen a horrible thing: they commit adultery and walk in lies; they strengthen the hands of evildoers, so that no one turns from his evil; all of them have become like Sodom to me, and its inhabitants like Gomorrah

that God could maybe care less about those adulteries, and maybe He is more interested with the W h o r e s in the church? Who do not even know what Word is? And teach that It is the Book? And run from discussions that reveal this? Hmm?

And disconnect "you evildoers" from "those who ate and drank at His table?"

:/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality