Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 01:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The Scientific Method is based on verifiable evidence, and is thus not a belief system, despite frequent claims to the contrary.

It is still by far the best way to distinguish what we believe from what we know.

Science generates knowledge.

Unlike religion, science is self-correcting. If there’s a mistake, it can be overcome with better science. That’s the power of the method. It’s the best system our species has come up with for explaining how nature works...and it blows religion out of the water with respect to this.

At the same time, we’d be wrong to think science can explain everything. It can’t. Science has its limitations. ***But at least we can be honest about that***. Although Science does not have ALL the answers, it's the only body that has given us any knowledge or answers to the mysteries of the Universe.

OTOH where should we locate our beliefs within modern society? Religion is respected as routinely as its dictates are ignored.

We cannot extend the same Janus-faced attitude to all beliefs. However, we can reject belief, without robust supporting evidence or argument, as an insufficient basis for politics or policy. Don’t believe that belief alone is enough.
yeah. whatever you say. did you consult your astrophysicist brother for this? or did you make it up on your own?

make the measurement. lets see how your "lack belief holds up.

oh wait, you won't.

run Forrest run.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:33 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
... since I was an atheist I had no religious view. Nor did I adopt one. I simply accepted that theism was correct leading me to try to explain how it could be so.....
Do you pray?
Now I mean, having gone from atheist to encountering the Divine.

How do you nurture and maintain your relationship with God?

Old 12-26-2016, 08:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
The Scientific Method is based on verifiable evidence, and is thus not a belief system, despite frequent claims to the contrary.

It is still by far the best way to distinguish what we believe from what we know.

Science generates knowledge.

Unlike religion, science is self-correcting. If there’s a mistake, it can be overcome with better science. That’s the power of the method. It’s the best system our species has come up with for explaining how nature works...and it blows religion out of the water with respect to this.

At the same time, we’d be wrong to think science can explain everything. It can’t. Science has its limitations. ***But at least we can be honest about that***. Although Science does not have ALL the answers, it's the only body that has given us any knowledge or answers to the mysteries of the Universe.

OTOH where should we locate our beliefs within modern society? Religion is respected as routinely as its dictates are ignored.

We cannot extend the same Janus-faced attitude to all beliefs. However, we can reject belief, without robust supporting evidence or argument, as an insufficient basis for politics or policy. Don’t believe that belief alone is enough.
Science and the Scientific Method are necessarily faith-based...EVERYTHING is faith-based and works off of "belief".
Unless one can objectively claim their evidence is infallible (and, of course, that is not possible), then they can't actually claim to "know" based upon evidence. Thus...faith and belief is all you've REALLY got.
Science and the scientific method is really nothing but enhanced belief...based upon faith the research, testing, and experimentation has produced accurate results.
You can NEVER be sure. So, just hope it "is enough"...because you have your faith in the "belief alone" of the veracity of your data and info...and that is all you have.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:56 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Science and the Scientific Method are necessarily faith-based...EVERYTHING is faith-based and works off of "belief".
This is not even worth responding to other than to tell you to brush up on your understanding of the Scientific Method...it's clear you know nothing about or how it works.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
A careful reading of my answers would reveal that since I was an atheist I had no religious view. Nor did I adopt one. I simply accepted that theism was correct leading me to try to explain how it could be so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Do you pray?
Now I mean, having gone from atheist to encountering the Divine.
How do you nurture and maintain your relationship with God?
Yes, you would definitely call it that, but it is more of a conversation and communing than supplication. I restrict any expectations to spiritual benefits, meaning in my consciousness or that of others around me.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
This is not even worth responding to other than to tell you to brush up on your understanding of the Scientific Method...it's clear you know nothing about or how it works.
Like most over 12, I know how it works...that's basic middle-school stuff, the SM.
Doesn't matter...whatever "Science" figures it found out about anything (GOD) through the SM, must necessarily have a "Belief" and "Faith" component to it intrinsically.
Unless you can honestly state the data and info you have is objectively infallible. But, of course, you can't...that isn't logical.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:59 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,140,399 times
Quote:
Like most over 12, I know how it works...that's basic middle-school stuff, the SM.
Doesn't matter...whatever "Science" figures it found out about anything (GOD) through the SM, must necessarily have a "Belief" and "Faith" component to it intrinsically.
Unless you can honestly state the data and info you have is objectively infallible. But, of course, you can't...that isn't logical.
"Most over 12," according to you, understand the scientific method. Yet you've demonstrated with this post that you neither understand what the scientific method nor science itself is. Yikes!

Old 12-26-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
"Most over 12," according to you, understand the scientific method. Yet you've demonstrated with this post that you neither understand what the scientific method nor science itself is. Yikes!
I know you would like to deflect with that.
I notice that "Scientists" typically pull that bogus stuff...claiming others "don't understand". MOF most of you state that about everyone that isn't in a STEM vocation. It always makes the accuser look arrogant and petty.
As if the only ones that know anything about any field are those that work in it or teach it. Most people on this board know something about almost anything...and usually quite a bit about a lot of things.
As far as the SM...even if one didn't know...if they have what it takes to participate in this board, they have more than enough to do a "Google Search" on the Scientific Method and take the few minutes it would require to gain a basic understanding. The SM itself is pretty simplistic...any one that would claim an educated adult on this board "knew nothing about it" is just a foolish attempt at an insult that only makes the accuser look lame and grasping at straws.
You make it sound as if the SM is some way to produce infallible info. It isn't...nothing is.
The problem REALLY IS...you don't want to admit that no matter what you think you know, or how you found out that data or info, it is NOT infallible, and necessarily requires Faith and Belief in the veracity of that data and info to make any claims off of it.

As usual...Faithaphobia & Beliefaphobia...all spreading out of Godophobia.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:57 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
I know you would like to deflect with that.
I notice that "Scientists" typically pull that bogus stuff...claiming others "don't understand". MOF most of you state that about everyone that isn't in a STEM vocation. It always makes the accuser look arrogant and petty.
As if the only ones that know anything about any field are those that work in it or teach it. Most people on this board know something about almost anything...and usually quite a bit about a lot of things.
As far as the SM...even if one didn't know...if they have what it takes to participate in this board, they have more than enough to do a "Google Search" on the Scientific Method and take the few minutes it would require to gain a basic understanding. The SM itself is pretty simplistic...any one that would claim an educated adult on this board "knew nothing about it" is just a foolish attempt at an insult that only makes the accuser look lame and grasping at straws.
You make it sound as if the SM is some way to produce infallible info. It isn't...nothing is.
The problem REALLY IS...you don't want to admit that no matter what you think you know, or how you found out that data or info, it is NOT infallible, and necessarily requires Faith and Belief in the veracity of that data and info to make any claims off of it.

As usual...Faithaphobia & Beliefaphobia...all spreading out of Godophobia.
I will have to plagiarize these new phobias, Gldn. The words "faith" and "belief" are so tainted by religious use that it seems atheists are unable to objectively employ their generic meanings. Although to be honest, they have a lot of trouble doing so with many words. Objectivity and abstraction from specific contexts (like religion) seem to be very difficult for them. I am appreciative of your abilities in that regard.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I will have to plagiarize these new phobias, Gldn. The words "faith" and "belief" are so tainted by religious use that it seems atheists are unable to objectively employ their generic meanings. Although to be honest, they have a lot of trouble doing so with many words. Objectivity and abstraction from specific contexts (like religion) seem to be very difficult for them. I am appreciative of your abilities in that regard.
Easy for me. I've never been at all Religious...but also never really bothered that most are.
Many here have serious "issues" with Religion and all related to it. It gets them all twisted up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality