Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:07 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Is Satan the second most powerful force in the universe ever created by god? If not what's above Satan and where does he numerals up?
All angels are subordinate to God; they have no free will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Since we have a word for "everything" which is.... wait for it..... "everything"..... could you define the word "everything" and the word "god" as you mean them, and be clear what the difference is between them.

Because if you are just doing a 1:1 direct replacement of one word for another.... then you are, technically, by definition, saying absolutely nothing at all. Which, if nothing else, at least means you are consistent, but I genuinely am not seeing how this answers the OPs question.
There are religious philosophies, such as pantheism and penentheism, that posit all of reality is a manifestation of the Divine- everything is literally part of God.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:12 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
That really does not answer my question though. It still does not define the word "god" define the word "everything" and then explain to me what the difference is between them, and how that difference is an answer to the OP.

As long as the word appears to be..... and the way the user uses it it does appear to be...... a single 1:1 replacement of one word for another.... then I am not sure I understand the point being made.

And IF we have free will (which has not actually been established that we do) but the angels, fallen or otherwise, do not. Then how can they be said to be more powerful than us? It is not even clear how an all knowing god could have free will either. Or how an all powerful and all knowing god could exist with both of those attributes at the same time.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:
That really does not answer my question though. It still does not define the word "god" define the word "everything" and then explain to me what the difference is between them, and how that difference is an answer to the OP.

As long as the word appears to be..... and the way the user uses it it does appear to be...... a single 1:1 replacement of one word for another.... then I am not sure I understand the point being made.
All I can suggest is to learn about the philosophies that follow that teaching and see if that helps.

Quote:
And IF we have free will (which has not actually been established that we do) but the angels, fallen or otherwise, do not. Then how can they be said to be more powerful than us? It is not even clear how an all knowing god could have free will either. Or how an all powerful and all knowing god could exist with both of those attributes at the same time.
Why would you assume angels are more powerful than man?

Old 12-09-2016, 03:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Can you please dumb it down to heathen level so I can understand what you're trying to say? ;-)

Is god good the most powerful, and evil is bad satan, and god both posses those powers(?), right?

If bad/evil isn't the second most powerful force ever created by god then what is?
I don't take the bible literally and don't believe in the christian type god so for me its just to be use as a lesson. And this story can be used so many ways.

Since we are social animals any habit that lends itself to social interactions will appear 'stronger". If we were anti-social, if there is such a thing, we would observe anti-social behavior as "stronger'.

Both are an illusion. Our emotions are based on us being human. We can lesson or strengthen "good" and "evil" in us a variety of ways.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:22 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
There are no recognized forces of bad/evil in the Universe.

FACT: There are four fundamental interactions that we know of. These four interactions account for all observed forces.

These interactions are:
  1. Strong Nuclear
  2. Weak Nuclear
  3. Electromagnetic
  4. Gravitational

The strongest of these four is the Strong Nuclear. However, since this interaction operates at a very short range inside the nucleus (as little as 1 fm - which is a femto-meter or 10^-15 meters) it is not the sort of force that we experience in everyday lives. This interaction acts between the nucleons (particles in the atomic nucleus - protons and neutrons which are made of quarks) and it is responsible for keeping the nucleus together. This interaction is mediated by so called gluons.

Here is a nice video about the Strong Nuclear Force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpDDQ4uEH6M
been telling you to go visit these sites.
hmm, now they start to crop up.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
All I can suggest is to learn about the philosophies that follow that teaching and see if that helps.
Oh you are under the impression I do not already know them very well? I was not questioning the philosophies OTHER people have. I was asking a user on HERE what THEY meant by what THEY said. I am not going to automatically assume that I know what they mean, just because it sounds a bit like something else to you.

But they are consistent in one thing. Not a single person selling the philosophy of "everything is god, god is everything, and everything is a manifestation of god" have managed to explain to me what EXACTLY the difference is between the word "everything" and the word "god" and how their philosophy constitutes anything but a direct 1:1 replacement of one word for another.

Quote:
Why would you assume angels are more powerful than man?
I did not. Anywhere. Ever. I do not even assume there ARE angels. That is unsubstantiated nonsense that I do not personally subscribe to.

But the OP suggest Satan, who some see as a fallen angel, is a powerful agent. And I am wondering.... how are angels, or this angel in particular, "powerful" if they do not have something we do.... such as free will?

Old 12-09-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Oh you are under the impression I do not already know them very well? I was not questioning the philosophies OTHER people have. I was asking a user on HERE what THEY meant by what THEY said. I am not going to automatically assume that I know what they mean, just because it sounds a bit like something else to you.

But they are consistent in one thing. Not a single person selling the philosophy of "everything is god, god is everything, and everything is a manifestation of god" have managed to explain to me what EXACTLY the difference is between the word "everything" and the word "god" and how their philosophy constitutes anything but a direct 1:1 replacement of one word for another.
To the best of my knowledge, we've never conversed before. I have no clue as to what you do or do not know. You asked me a question that would best be answered by understanding those schools of thought, so that's where I directed you.

If you wished to ignore my response and waited for Tzaphkiel to answer you, you could have done so.

Quote:
I did not. Anywhere. Ever. I do not even assume there ARE angels. That is unsubstantiated nonsense that I do not personally subscribe to.

But the OP suggest Satan, who some see as a fallen angel, is a powerful agent. And I am wondering.... how are angels, or this angel in particular, "powerful" if they do not have something we do.... such as free will?
If that comment was meant for the OP, I appologize. As you had quoted me, it appeared to be directed at me.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:42 AM

Exactly you do not know me, so do not presume I need to learn something when in fact I know it already. But it should be pretty clear that if I ask a person what they meant by a word they used..... that telling me what someone ELSE means by it is hardly going to answer the question not is it?

Quote:
I appologize. As you had quoted me
I didn't. Go back and check again.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Exactly you do not know me, so do not presume I need to learn something when in fact I know it already. But it should be pretty clear that if I ask a person what they meant by a word they used..... that telling me what someone ELSE means by it is hardly going to answer the question not is it?
I never claimed to know what Tzaphkiel meant. I stated that there were several philosophies that used a similar ideas. You're the only one here making assumptions.

Quote:
I didn't. Go back and check again.
Quoted, no. But it certainly seems that you were addressing me.
And I never claimed that angels were more powerful than humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality