Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you every rep people you don't like or who don't like you?
Yes. If they say something worthwhile, I'll acknowledge that. 24 96.00%
No. If I don't like someone, I see no need to pay them a compliment. 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:28 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

I'm quoting Jesus Christ in this OP, but I think His words are wise advise for us all -- theists and atheists alike.

I’ve always kind of thought that my enemy is someone that – for a very good reason, of course – I don’t like, but I have come to realize that I had that kind of backwards. If I don’t like someone, that doesn’t mean that person is my enemy; it means I’m his enemy. An enemy is not someone you don’t like. It’s someone who doesn’t like you, someone who is antagonistic towards you or who hates or tries to harm you. Jesus didn’t say, “Don’t have any enemies,” probably because He knew we would have enemies. How people feel towards us is sometimes beyond our control, but how we feel towards them and how we respond to them is up to us.

And I'm including a poll, because I think it will help us stop and think about how we respond to people who we may perceive (either rightly or wrongly) to be our enemies.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Sure. I've repped people I don't like. Usually because - in a brief burst of sanity - they say something I agree with.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:08 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
yup

Old 12-11-2016, 11:14 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
I have replied Vizio and Mystic before based on specific posts, even though I don't agree with them on the larger issues.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:18 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
I will rep an exceptional post regardless of who the posters are. The posters I like are few and are people who show wisdom and kindness in their posts on a regular basis. The posters I dislike are also few and far between and are the mean spirited jerks. Most posters are nit her liked or disliked, as people anyway, but are ones I agree with or disagree with. Of my posters I like or dislike they include both ones I usually agree or disagree with. In other words I have no one that I view as an enemy, I mean we are only exchanging views and ideas. So someone can be a person I agree with but do not like or that I disagree with but like.

If someone views me as an enemy that is his or her business. I do not see anyone here as my enemy. Some of their views I do think of as an enemy of the world I wish to live in, however it is their view on a certain matter and not them their self.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:04 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sure. I've repped people I don't like. Usually because - in a brief burst of sanity - they say something I agree with.

Yes. Positive reinforcement.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:36 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

LOL, same here...and I'll sometimes even note it in a public post.

Of course, there *are* a few obvious trolls and severe dimwits that make me wish we had a Neg Rep button and *never* get a positive rep...but then, they usually never say anything that I would agree with.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I don't think in terms of having "enemies" but I rep posters I disagree with all the time.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:43 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
IMO..."reps" and "likes" are kinda just a waste.
On a board like this..."Reps" are mostly "backslaps" people give to each other for the mutual bash of people and ideas they share disagreement with.
I post outright any props and/or critique I have.
But then, I'm also a strange dude in what I like. I like some of the nicer sweet stuff...but I actually dig the most vicious, contentious scratching & clawing the most!
I guess I really do "love my enemy"...at least in a setting like this!

Old 12-11-2016, 05:22 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
There's a song that goes "There aint no good guys, there aint no bad guys, theres only you and me and we just disagree."

On a mass world level, things can go very wrong if ppl believe stupid things as a group. This is the sort of thing that gets me very upset and angry. But on a personal level, I may completely hate someone one day and like them another.

As Katzpur herself knows. I basically insulted her and ranted in a heated manner, today I largely agree with her.

I am in favor of Jesus, but also strongly inspired by Lao Tzu, who compared heaven and earth to "straw dogs" that are favored one day and I think burned the next. I believe in natural action rather than condemning someone absolutely as my enemy.

I have blocked Nozz, because he often ticks be off, but every now and then Im curious about what he says so I read his posts. This sorta thing. Your friends or enemies dont always remain such at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality