Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,448,513 times

Advertisements

The Isha Upanishad of the Yajurveda (c. 4th to 3rd century BC) states that "if you remove a part from infinity or add a part to infinity, still what remains is infinity".

Pūrṇam adaḥ pūrṇam idam
(That is full, this is full)
pūrṇāt pūrṇam udacyate
(From the full, the full is subtracted)
pūrṇasya pūrṇam ādāya (When the full is taken from the full)
pūrṇam evāvasiṣyate
(The full still will remain.) - Isha Upanishad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,409,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
The Isha Upanishad of the Yajurveda (c. 4th to 3rd century BC) states that "if you remove a part from infinity or add a part to infinity, still what remains is infinity".

Pūrṇam adaḥ pūrṇam idam
(That is full, this is full)
pūrṇāt pūrṇam udacyate
(From the full, the full is subtracted)
pūrṇasya pūrṇam ādāya (When the full is taken from the full)
pūrṇam evāvasiṣyate
(The full still will remain.) - Isha Upanishad
Hmmm...interesting.

I would ask one question - If something is infinite, how can one remove a part or add a part?

In other words, perhaps the reason infinity remains is because one cannot remove or insert something into infinity, by its very nature.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Hmmm...interesting.

I would ask one question - If something is infinite, how can one remove a part or add a part?

In other words, perhaps the reason infinity remains is because one cannot remove or insert something into infinity, by its very nature.
What about applying the law of relativity to inifinity in such a way that it still remains one but it's divided into infinite expressions?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
What about applying the law of relativity to inifinity in such a way that it still remains one but it's divided into infinite expressions?
Perhaps.

I thought of it more as a line; a line with a beginning and an end. With a line one can add a section to the end or take a section away from the end. Either way, it's still a line.

But with a circle, it is infinite. One cannot remove a segment or add a segment because then you would no longer have a circle and therefore no longer have infinity.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Perhaps.

I thought of it more as a line; a line with a beginning and an end. With a line one can add a section to the end or take a section away from the end. Either way, it's still a line.

But with a circle, it is infinite. One cannot remove a segment or add a segment because then you would no longer have a circle and therefore no longer have infinity.
But if it's true inifinte the possibilities are limitless

Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
But if it's true inifinte the possibilities are limitless
I guess I define infiniteness as something without a beginning or end.

By it's very nature, if one adds or removes a segment to something without a beginning or end, one is then creating a beginning or end and then you no longer have infiniteness. Hence the circle.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,475,540 times
Quote:
You cannot add or subtract from infinity. It is deemed theoretically possible to have multiple infinities (see 10 and 11 dimensional universes/multi-verses) but it is impossible to take or add something away from infinity. Infinity cannot be represented with any number of zeros after it, and as such, it is symbolized as a sideways "8".

When theoretical physicists refer to infinity, they essentially refer to the first microcosm of a second after the Big Bang until the theoretical end of the universe. In other words, whether the universe self implodes back to its' once caused singularity, or it rips itself completely apart, the end of the universe is the end of light, space-time, and relativity (whether absolute or not).

What made Einstein famous was partially his refutation of well known and accepted Newtonian physics. Newton concluded that if you were to shine a beam of light into outer space that light would travel at close to 630 million million miles per hour. If you were to be strapped into a rocket ship in a race against that light that cruised at 500 million million miles per hour, Newton's theory proposed that, to the person shining the light, the light would be outpacing you at 130 million million miles per hour faster and to the person in the rocket ship, it would also be outpacing you (percepted) 130 million million miles faster. HOWEVER, Einstein's theory proposed that in that rocketship the light would still be moving away from you at 630 million million miles per hour and the perception of the "light shiner" would be an inaccurate one. It's kind of hard to grapple that. I'm still kind of trying to wrap my mind around that

Relativity of simultaneity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Theory of relativity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by GCSTroop; 02-27-2008 at 09:33 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 09:38 PM

245 posts, read 625,837 times
reminds me of the questian "can god make something so heavy he can't lift it", thing" ^ if only Einstien knew then what we know now

Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM

790 posts, read 4,023,024 times
I think that perhaps (but i don't know) this is speaking about or is at least related in some way to what the Buddhists refer to as Emptiness and the Yogi (and Buddhist as well) would refer to as the Void or Shining Void and cannot be comprehended or experienced or understood by the conditioned mind.
The intellect, the conditioned mind, etc. can only take you so far.
Then shunyata or seeing through no-mind or empty mind or unconditioned mind or what is called in the Zen tradition, original mind.
You cannot see what IS with ideas of what IS because what IS IS and is not an idea(s).
Emptiness is full and this fullness which is actually empty is all that IS and cannot be taken from because there is nothing to take from IT and surely can't too well be explained or transmitted by one, such as myself, that has not experienced such a state. At least not in this lifetime and who knows about the others. Not i.
Something like that.

Last edited by rubyskye; 02-27-2008 at 10:51 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM

790 posts, read 4,023,024 times
I think that perhaps (but i don't know) this is speaking about or is at least related in some way to what the Buddhists refer to as Emptiness and the Yogi (and Buddhist as well) would refer to as the Void or Shining Void and cannot be comprehended or experienced or understood by the conditioned mind.
The intellect, the conditioned mind, etc. can only take you so far.
Then shunyata or seeing through no-mind or empty mind or unconditioned mind or what is called in the Zen tradition, original mind.
You cannot see what IS with ideas of what IS because what IS IS and is not an idea(s).
Emptiness is full and this fullness which is actually empty is all that IS and cannot be taken from because there is nothing to take from IT and surely can't too well be explained or transmitted by one, such as myself, that has not experienced such a state. At least not in this lifetime and who knows about the others. Not i.
Something like that.

Last edited by rubyskye; 02-27-2008 at 10:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality