Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times

Advertisements

I believe the supreme being has to take responsibility for both the good and bad in the world. What are the thoughts here? How can one be so alnighty and powerful and not be able to prevent evil. My belief is that devils and hell are made up references because of a lack of understandings by humans to how evil is allowed to exist. I take alot of flack for believing that "GOD" could be both good and evil. I DO believe people are mostly good, but JUSTIFIYING evil by attributing it to another source or "self choice " is a cop-out to me. If a being can be this powerful it i has to take responsibilty for all actions. Eh, I could be wrong but I wanted to voice my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I believe the supreme being has to take responsibility for both the good and bad in the world. What are the thoughts here? How can one be so alnighty and powerful and not be able to prevent evil. My belief is that devils and hell are made up references because of a lack of understandings by humans to how evil is allowed to exist. I take alot of flack for believing that "GOD" could be both good and evil. I DO believe people are mostly good, but JUSTIFIYING evil by attributing it to another source or "self choice " is a cop-out to me. If a being can be this powerful it i has to take responsibilty for all actions. Eh, I could be wrong but I wanted to voice my opinion.
I would have to agree with you, except for the fact that I don't believe that there is such a supreme being that they are responsible for each and every action that happens anywhere at any time. I don't believe in omniscience, but I do believe in personal choice and responsibility.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:34 PM

22,195 posts, read 19,233,374 times
god is pure love. there is no duality in god.
therefore there is no evil
only humans exist in duality, in "right wrong" thinking such as good/evil.
when we are able to move beyond that into pure acceptance,
then all duality dissolves.

god is like that. all love. only humans make the distinction between good and evil.

god is big enough to hold it all. and what humans call "evil" is just a different person or situation in a different stage of evolvement, all for the purpose of learning and growth.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM

54 posts, read 156,892 times
If you beleive in the Bible, you must believe in both God and the Devil. And therefore, you must believe that God created the Angels, including Lucifer(AKA: the Devil), so you must then deduce that God has power over the Devil and could prevent the Devil from doing anything if he chose to. There are many accounts in the Bible in which God initiated mass murders(genocide/cleansing); whatever makes you feel better and extracted vengence on those who crossed him or did'nt measure up. He even allowed the Devil to have his way with one of God's most faithful servants, Job, just to win a divine challenge against the Devil. IMHO I don't think the Bible believers want to assigned blame to their all loving God, because it's just bad PR, but not only was God responsible but he was the cause of these events.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM

22,195 posts, read 19,233,374 times
god can't be responsible for the devil because there isn't one.
god gave us each and everyone free will.
everything else that results and resulted is humans using or misusing our free will
we are put here to learn responsibility for our actions

Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
: rolleyes: I believe that only the individual is responsible for his actions.
I sure do believe that there are evil individuals and that there are evil actions.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel266 View Post
If you beleive in the Bible, you must believe in both God and the Devil. And therefore, you must believe that God created the Angels, including Lucifer(AKA: the Devil), so you must then deduce that God has power over the Devil and could prevent the Devil from doing anything if he chose to. There are many accounts in the Bible in which God initiated mass murders(genocide/cleansing); whatever makes you feel better and extracted vengence on those who crossed him or did'nt measure up. He even allowed the Devil to have his way with one of God's most faithful servants, Job, just to win a divine challenge against the Devil. IMHO I don't think the Bible believers want to assigned blame to their all loving God, because it's just bad PR, but not only was God responsible but he was the cause of these events.
Ok...well i don't believe the bible in its current form is relevant. AGAIN the bible creates devils and angels to justify the unknown.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
: rolleyes: I believe that only the individual is responsible for his actions.
I sure do believe that there are evil individuals and that there are evil actions.
and why the rolleyes? Like you know something the rest of us don't/?? You THINK we are all responsible, but you have no idea what is real or not....

Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by jp03
Quote:
and why the rolleyes? Like you know something the rest of us don't/?? You THINK we are all responsible, but you have no idea what is real or not....
The rolleyes should have been an emoticon.
I dunno why it isn't.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by jp03 The rolleyes should have been an emoticon.
I dunno why it isn't.
ok.....but that STILL means you meant it as ...how do you not know this response...no matter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality