Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:14 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times

Advertisements

The ultimate research in religion would be to Join the religion to really find the research , and become one with the attendants , as just reading the holy books will not see the spiritual truths ...... Then you could examine the heart of the people who believe the faith that they do ...... Like go in and convert to a belief and follow their faith , and if you find a arrogance then there you will find false belief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
I did that . Dont goto the respective church, this day and age plenty online , and not the back and forth BS between believers . You will probably come to the he same conclusion I did . Then look into history . 12 years and I'm still learning "truth" .
yeah, I agree to a large part.

short and sweet. look for the common threads and look for things that counter commonsense. The truth will plop on your lap.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:29 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
I did that . Dont goto the respective church, this day and age plenty online , and not the back and forth BS between believers . You will probably come to the he same conclusion I did . Then look into history . 12 years and I'm still learning "truth" .
But how closely are you connected to God? Because learning about religion means nothing if you are not in relationship with the Divine. It is the difference between "studying marriage" and "being married."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-03-2017 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
But how closely are you connected to God? Because learning about religion means nothing if you are not in relationship with the Divine. It is the difference between "studying marriage" and "being married."
I would imagine he's in the phase of "playing the field", dating various women to figure out what he's compatible with. I wouldn't advise him to instantly pair-bond with the first female he encounters, it would cloud his judgment and severely limit his options.

Most religions demand loyalty and exclusivity and regard other religions as somewhere between a distraction and a heresy.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I would imagine he's in the phase of "playing the field", dating various women to figure out what he's compatible with. I wouldn't advise him to instantly pair-bond with the first female he encounters, it would cloud his judgment and severely limit his options.

Most religions demand loyalty and exclusivity and regard other religions as somewhere between a distraction and a heresy.
using that metaphor,
no he's not even dating if he never shows up in person
he is reading online profiles. nothing else.

to say "read online profiles but don't bother meeting actual people" keeps it purely a mental intellectual exercise.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
using that metaphor,

to say "read online profiles but don't bother meeting actual people" keeps it purely a mental intellectual exercise.
this is true if one' needs that type of relationship. We all don't need it.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:29 AM

504 posts, read 300,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It shouldn't be. I find it fascinating. I studied it for a few years about 10 years ago. I think the Gathic tradition is very interesting. I have a few translations of the Gathas and Avesta. The writings provided a historical background for the many parallels and similarities with the Abrahamic traditions and the evolution of Yahwistic monotheism. The tradition played a significant role in one of my theses.
Ahh... the Gathas, which are the template for the later Psalms. It is good to see someone else who is cognizant of the relevance of Zoroaster and the religion he founded to the Abrahamic ones. Interestingly enough, many proponents of especially the Christian branch of them, will readily deny any precursor or contemporaneous religions such as Mithra or the Egyptian one, but are totally ignorant of the close relationship and influence that the Zoroastrian had.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:31 AM

504 posts, read 300,251 times
Quote:
How would one know if their 'relationship' with a god is the same the you experienced?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
using that metaphor,

Point taken, and not a bad one either. But then again, doesn't it make sense to evaluate a range of women at arm's length before being drawn into committed intimacy? It would not be fair to a woman who expects exclusivity to not know yourself, life or some basic grasp of relationships first. The only thing more jealous than a woman is a religion, in my experience.

For example you are, if I recall correctly, Jewish ... of a fairly conservative persuasion, too. How would your spiritual mentors regard you dabbling in Christianity or Islam simultaneously? Those doors are effectively closed to you apart from a disruptive change of course. Hopefully that doesn't matter because you already determined they weren't for you before committing to the path you are on. But you had to have a certain amount of knowledge, experience and perspective to make that determination to begin with.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
How would one know if their 'relationship' with a god is the same the you experienced?

There is no relationship at all if all a person ever does is read articles online and "think about it." A relationship with the Divine, regardless of the path, requires participation in contacting the Divine (i.e. prayer). And at some point involves assessing the fellowship or community you are considering, i.e. meeting the people who follow that path.

Therefore the advice AGAINST talking to practitioners of a path seems bizarre.

Again "knowledge" of something is not the same as personal participation. Reading a cook book does not make you a chef. A person has to get in the kitchen and actually do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality