Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:46 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

but you started it, LOL.
I suppose I've been known to start a few things over here!

Hope all is well out in Cali..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:17 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I suppose I've been known to start a few things over here!

Hope all is well out in Cali..
Yeah, you're a big trouble maker bigthirsty.

Things are going fine in CA... very warm this week, which is not really my cup of tea (and not what we're used to in this part). But I can't complain, when I consider the rest of the country's weather! Plus it gives me a chance to show off my tattoos, LOL.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM

76 posts, read 187,460 times
Romans 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Revelation 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments,

Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
A Christian perspective.

I recently had an entire lesson on this topic with my youth. And we came down to a non-answer. I believe using Levitical scripture to make your point is ignorant and irresponsible, because you're putting yourself under the old law and you must then explain to me why you don't keep all the laws in that same chapter.

Anyway, here a great article that went a long way for me:

Tattoos and Christians - Should Christians Have Tattoos?

But I just can't help but share this scripture:
I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelations 19:11-17

Old 06-11-2008, 06:16 AM

Thank you for your input regarding the laws in Leviticus. The thing that people do not understand is that it was the "rituals of the law" that we are not expected to keep. But the basic principles of the law still stand. Herein I must admit I have a problem. If we are to remember the sabbath day, to keep it Holy, do not work, because God said 6 days shalt thou work and rest on the seventh. Yet a man was stoned "killed" for gathering sticks to make a fire on the sabbath. They were to gather enough manna on the 6th day to hold them through the sabbath. Can anyone help me here?
Are we breaking the commandments if we even so much as turn our stoves on to heat water to make a cup of hot tea or coffee? How do we separate 'keeping the sabbath day Holy' and 'cooking dinner'?
I know this is a tad off the subject here.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostball View Post
Thank you for your input regarding the laws in Leviticus. The thing that people do not understand is that it was the "rituals of the law" that we are not expected to keep. But the basic principles of the law still stand. Herein I must admit I have a problem. If we are to remember the sabbath day, to keep it Holy, do not work, because God said 6 days shalt thou work and rest on the seventh. Yet a man was stoned "killed" for gathering sticks to make a fire on the sabbath. They were to gather enough manna on the 6th day to hold them through the sabbath. Can anyone help me here?
Are we breaking the commandments if we even so much as turn our stoves on to heat water to make a cup of hot tea or coffee? How do we separate 'keeping the sabbath day Holy' and 'cooking dinner'?
I know this is a tad off the subject here.
Friend, read Romans 10:4 and let's talk.

You're free, man (or woman).

You are free!

Please read through this thread and there's one more if you're interested.

"Thou shall not make any graven images"

Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 AM

As for your verse from the book of Revelation regarding the title written on the thigh of the man on the white horse whose name is "true and faithful":
In order for this inscription, "King of Kings and Lord of Lords" to be seen, don't you think this man, "Jesus", would have to be wearing shorts or something similar so that His thigh could be exposed? The verse says He has a robe on. Is this robe open?
I know all this sounds rediculous but think about it for a bit. Most of what was told by John in Revelation is symbolic of something else.
As for "tats", I feel they are something the world follows after and for the most part, they do not glorify God or His Son Jesus Christ. We are told to come out from the world and be separate, be radically different. Today many christians look no different than the world. They talk the same language, go to the same bars and clubs, wear the same ungoly fashions, and follow after most of the trends of the world. It's difficult to tell the difference between a christian and a worldling today .... and this should not be. We used to hear the word "worldy" many years ago but it seems to have faded from the christian vocabulary.... as have so many others such as "conviction of sin", "repentance", "praying through" etc.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 AM

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Christ was the fulfillment of the law. He is the embodiment of the law, He is the law.
If I am as "free" as you intimate, then I would ask you, am I free to get boozed up, shoot dope, lay with my neighbors wife, molest the children down the street, lie, cheat, steal, bear false witness, lust after women [as I am a man]. After all, I'm FREE from all the law.
Friend, we are NOT FREE to do as we please. We are FREE to do Gods will.

Matthew 7:21 ¶Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

1 John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Christ was the fulfillment of the law. He is the embodiment of the law, He is the law.
If I am as "free" as you intimate, then I would ask you, am I free to get boozed up, shoot dope, lay with my neighbors wife, molest the children down the street, lie, cheat, steal, bear false witness, lust after women [as I am a man]. After all, I'm FREE from all the law.
Friend, we are NOT FREE to do as we please. We are FREE to do Gods will.

Matthew 7:21 ¶Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

1 John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
No and I think it's pretty evident you didn't read the thread I posted either.

Jesus is clear that if we love him, we will obey him. If you need to stay under control of a set of guidelines to keep you from acting that way, then by all means do it. I'm just saying we don't need to worry about accidentally sinning like you mentioned here:

Quote:
Can anyone help me here?
If you need the law to tell you that, go for it. It's just not necessary for me.

Here's a post I was hoping you would have seen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
17 `Do not suppose that I came to throw down the law or the prophets--I did not come to throw down, but to fulfil; 18 for, verily I say to you, till that the heaven and the earth may pass away, one iota or one tittle may not pass away from the law, till that all may come to pass. 19 `Whoever therefore may loose one of these commands--the least--and may teach men so, least he shall be called in the reign of the heavens, but whoever may do and may teach them, he shall be called great in the reign of the heavens. 20 `For I say to you, that if your righteousness may not abound above that of the scribes and Pharisees, ye may not enter to the reign of the heavens.
Matt 5:17-20 (YLT)
Since you included no commentary on that scripture, I can only assume you posted it trying to validity to the Old Testament law. I'm not saying that it isn't worthy to be valued and to try and discern it's application to our lives but I'm also a firm believer that my salvation isn't tied to a set of rules and regulations. My salvation is tied to the blood of Jesus Christ and quite clearly a new covenant was established by Jesus.

Trying to figure out if I've accidently broken one of the ten commandments does exactly what the devil wants to do: Distract me from my love for God and my service for others. Jesus said the WHOLE LAW can be summed up by this phrase: Love God, love people. That's the 'rules' I have to follow. Other than that, I set my eyes on Jesus and try and make Kingdom impact. Splitting hairs on the intricasies of a set of laws that Christ fulfilled is, in my opinon a waste of time.

Question: If I make you a promise and then fulfill that promise, what is the condition of the aforementioned promise?

It's still there, it's still valid, but it is fulfilled. It's something you should be grateful of that I accomplished what the promise was established for.

That's the application of the old law to the new covenant. Jesus is perfect, the Old Law was imperfect. Need scripture for that?

Here's just one:
If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law. He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar. For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. For it is declared:
"You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek."

The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God. Hebrews 7:11-19
I won't hijack your thread by talking any further about the Old Law. I just think, as Christians, we need to focus more on the things Christ commanded us to focus on.

Having said that, please don't misinterpret what I'm saying to be that's it's OK to disobey the 10 commandments, I'm not saying that at all. If I 'Love God' I won't worship graven images. If I 'Love people' I won't steal or commit adultery etc.

I may be hyper-sensitive to this because I have been exposed to quite a bit of legalism and that, my friends, is the height of 'graven images', putting 'other gods before God' and putting the traditions of man in front of the commandments of God and thereby, as Christ Jesus said, 'nullify the Word of God.'

Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
As for your verse from the book of Revelation regarding the title written on the thigh of the man on the white horse whose name is "true and faithful":
In order for this inscription, "King of Kings and Lord of Lords" to be seen, don't you think this man, "Jesus", would have to be wearing shorts or something similar so that His thigh could be exposed? The verse says He has a robe on. Is this robe open?
I know all this sounds rediculous but think about it for a bit. Most of what was told by John in Revelation is symbolic of something else.
As for "tats", I feel they are something the world follows after and for the most part, they do not glorify God or His Son Jesus Christ. We are told to come out from the world and be separate, be radically different. Today many christians look no different than the world. They talk the same language, go to the same bars and clubs, wear the same ungoly fashions, and follow after most of the trends of the world. It's difficult to tell the difference between a christian and a worldling today .... and this should not be. We used to hear the word "worldy" many years ago but it seems to have faded from the christian vocabulary.... as have so many others such as "conviction of sin", "repentance", "praying through" etc.
I totally agree with this post. (Well, I'm not sure your point about shorts and an open robe but all that second portion is spot on and I agree 100%.)

The problem that I have is that folks have been speaking in absolutes in this thread about tats and no one is qualified to speak to the motivation in someone's heart.

You yourself said in this post:
Quote:
As for "tats", I feel they are something the world follows after and for the most part, they do not glorify God or His Son Jesus Christ.
And I agree....but what about the few that are excepted when you say "for the most part". That leaves room for a tattoo to be done as an act of worship and/or to glorify God.

I'd hope all Christians would see that if the possibility is there, then the motivations and conditions of the heart are between the tattee() and God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality