Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times

Advertisements

If we are to believe the rhetoric of atheists or secularists then American society should be a bastion peaceful, tolerable and loving levels than ever before. After all, according to them, church and religion have been the source of hatred, bigotry, anger, discrimination and intolerance. Now with a new generation raised in secularism outside of the church, we should all be getting along great and helping each other achieve a standard of personal happiness, tolerance and equality for all. Right?

WRONG. I see the exact opposite in society now. Extreme intolerance. And I only have to look at what happened to Jeff Varner as a prime recent example. Here's the back story. Varner was a contestant on the current season of TV's Survivor. Varner was a very popular player on the show and this was his 3rd time to be on a season. He has had a successful career post Survivor as a news anchor and now real estate agent. From what I know of Jeff, he is a compassionate caring person with a heart for the gay and transgender community and fighting against unjust laws.

Which makes last week's episode shocking and a bit baffling. Here is what went down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BXqrOSNKn0&t=733s

In a nutshell, as a move to make Zeke look bad, he asked him flat out why Zeke has kept his transgender status a secret. Jeff's tribemates immediately turn on him blasting him that he had no right to out Zeke.
I agree. It was an awful mistake and Jeff quickly regretted it especially when it dawned on him that he had outed Zeke to the entire world and this could possibly cause harm to Zeke in his future experiences in life.

After the episode aired, the reaction on social media was venomous, hateful and very ugly. I saw comments telling Jeff to rot in hell, he deserved no forgiveness and Jeff even got death threats. Jeff has been extremely remorse and apologetic. He didn't shy away from interviews but was an emotional wreck in many of them because he knows that his one mistake will affect Zeke for the rest of his life. I now finally myself almost completely supportive of Jeff and not so much for Zeke. Zeke went on a national tv show knowing full well that there was a good chance that he would be outed on the show. And he was fine with that because playing Survivor was his dream. Jeff at the time had falsely assumed that Zeke had already outed himself to the world on the previous season of Survivor (Jeff's season was being filmed while that season aired so he knew nothing about Zeke).

Varner has received ridiculous amounts of hate mail. He was fired from his job a few days lately directly because of this incident. He also had to get months of therapy and may have become suicidal over this.
This ONE mistake. The thing that appalls me is the extreme intolerance and lack of forgiveness. This was a man who made a single error in judgement, and the majority think he should suffer the rest of his life. And that is the new culture we live in. These lines are drawn in the sand, and if you dare cross it, you are ruined forever. There is no making amends. No forgiveness.

Jeff Varner will most likely never be able to work in broadcasting again, and will probably have a hard time finding a new job. My heart goes out to him. Everyone has said something wrong that they wish they could hit the rewind button and suck those words back in. And they will even turn on one of their own if that line is breached just like they did Jeff. Is this the future we really need? Strip Christianity's message of love and forgiveness from every trace of public exposure and adopt extreme intolerance and no mercy even if you say one wrong thing? Such a future will only eventually lead to our demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
An ugly godless society looks like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Germany, France, the U.K., Canada, and Japan...countries with the highest quality of life on planet earth.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If we are to believe the rhetoric of atheists or secularists then American society should be a bastion peaceful, tolerable and loving levels than ever before. After all, according to them, church and religion have been the source of hatred, bigotry, anger, discrimination and intolerance. Now with a new generation raised in secularism outside of the church, we should all be getting along great and helping each other achieve a standard of personal happiness, tolerance and equality for all. Right?

WRONG. I see the exact opposite in society now. Extreme intolerance. And I only have to look at what happened to Jeff Varner as a prime recent example. Here's the back story. Varner was a contestant on the current season of TV's Survivor. Varner was a very popular player on the show and this was his 3rd time to be on a season. He has had a successful career post Survivor as a news anchor and now real estate agent. From what I know of Jeff, he is a compassionate caring person with a heart for the gay and transgender community and fighting against unjust laws.

Which makes last week's episode shocking and a bit baffling. Here is what went down:

In a nutshell, as a move to make Zeke look bad, he asked him flat out why Zeke has kept his transgender status a secret. Jeff's tribemates immediately turn on him blasting him that he had no right to out Zeke.
I agree. It was an awful mistake and Jeff quickly regretted it especially when it dawned on him that he had outed Zeke to the entire world and this could possibly cause harm to Zeke in his future experiences in life.

After the episode aired, the reaction on social media was venomous, hateful and very ugly. I saw comments telling Jeff to rot in hell, he deserved no forgiveness and Jeff even got death threats. Jeff has been extremely remorse and apologetic. He didn't shy away from interviews but was an emotional wreck in many of them because he knows that his one mistake will affect Zeke for the rest of his life. I now finally myself almost completely supportive of Jeff and not so much for Zeke. Zeke went on a national tv show knowing full well that there was a good chance that he would be outed on the show. And he was fine with that because playing Survivor was his dream. Jeff at the time had falsely assumed that Zeke had already outed himself to the world on the previous season of Survivor (Jeff's season was being filmed while that season aired so he knew nothing about Zeke).

Varner has received ridiculous amounts of hate mail. He was fired from his job a few days lately directly because of this incident. He also had to get months of therapy and may have become suicidal over this.
This ONE mistake. The thing that appalls me is the extreme intolerance and lack of forgiveness. This was a man who made a single error in judgement, and the majority think he should suffer the rest of his life. And that is the new culture we live in. These lines are drawn in the sand, and if you dare cross it, you are ruined forever. There is no making amends. No forgiveness.

Jeff Varner will most likely never be able to work in broadcasting again, and will probably have a hard time finding a new job. My heart goes out to him. Everyone has said something wrong that they wish they could hit the rewind button and suck those words back in. And they will even turn on one of their own if that line is breached just like they did Jeff. Is this the future we really need? Strip Christianity's message of love and forgiveness from every trace of public exposure and adopt extreme intolerance and no mercy even if you say one wrong thing? Such a future will only eventually lead to our demise.
Well Jeff, according to you, Jeff Varner is already headed to hell, seeing as how he is gay.

Anyways..... I pretty much agree with you. He screwed up, big time. He said something he knew he shouldn't, people called him out on it, and he got voted off. He has apologized about a zillion times, and he really seems like he means it. He knows he screwed up. He knew as soon as he said it and looked at Zeke.

Now, with that being said, people should really grow up, and stop harassing the guy. What good does that serve? Let the man move one. He messed up, sure, but he is clearly horrified that he said what he did. However, I don't see how this has anything to do with stripping Christianity from the public sphere. Nothing in this story or post related to Christianity.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:

Hey Jeff, since this is a nation of people like you, who was giving Varner all the backlash?

Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
If it turns out Varner is an atheist also I may just wet myself.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:11 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
An ugly godless society looks like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Germany, France, the U.K., Canada, and Japan...countries with the highest quality of life on planet earth.
And a 'less-Godly' society looks like the American Northeast. And Midwest. And West. All of which have lower violent crime rates than the South, per the FBI's crime database.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2012-2013.xls

And, yes, the 'more-Godly' South - the most violent, crime-ridden part of the country - is the most religious part as well.
Most and least religious U.S. states | Pew Research Center
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.9d8268fb7425

I won't continue with the links as I have in the past, but the same dynamic holds in comparing Canada to the United States as a whole, Europe to North America as a whole, Western Europe to Eastern Europe, Northern Europe to Southern Europe.

Meanwhile, Jeff flails triumphantly away at the strawman that says atheists claim that every atheist is good and every theist is bad.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:10 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Well - that's what I couldn't make out. In a godless humanist society- that would have been a non -issue. It is the religious prejuficve against gays - which Jedd, i belief shares - that is the basis of the situation he pointed up.

It looks as though the argument turned around and bit him in the ass, but maybe I'm missing something?

Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:

I bet most of the hate mail and "rot in hell"s were from liberal Christians...Atheist and secular people probably wouldn't use that term...

Old 04-18-2017, 02:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well Jeff, according to you, Jeff Varner is already headed to hell, seeing as how he is gay.

Anyways..... I pretty much agree with you. He screwed up, big time. He said something he knew he shouldn't, people called him out on it, and he got voted off. He has apologized about a zillion times, and he really seems like he means it. He knows he screwed up. He knew as soon as he said it and looked at Zeke.

Now, with that being said, people should really grow up, and stop harassing the guy. What good does that serve? Let the man move one. He messed up, sure, but he is clearly horrified that he said what he did. However, I don't see how this has anything to do with stripping Christianity from the public sphere. Nothing in this story or post related to Christianity.
Jeff Varner is gay?...

Old 04-18-2017, 02:24 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
@ OP. I have noticed that the ones clamoring for "inclusion" the loudest seem to have no trouble excluding anyone whose views they don't like, to whatever extreme they choose to mete out. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality