Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:05 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
I read "The Case for Christ"several years ago...seemed more experiential than evidential. Nevertheless, perhaps "Team" (over-paid shills?) should write their own case...call it "The Case for Nothing"...maybe some pop-ups of nothing. Move along folks, nothing to investigate here. At least with Lee's books, there are words to be read.
Very good example of faith-based denial. Of course the 'experiential'. The oft heard claim "My mother, she was dying of cancer, see, and we all prayed for her...' is more effective related with what W.S Gilbert called 'corroborative detail, merely intended to impart verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative" which, being translated, means "A pack of lies dressed up to sound convincing', than as something heard about someone else, never mind just puting the argument hypothetically.

Overpaid Shills? Raffs hasn't paid me in months! I can't even get a rep out of him.

The book has already been written but of course it isn't about 'Nothing' but about everything other than the God claim and the Bible claim and the Christ -claim. Still writing mine and I already spent the advance . Pop -ups of nothing. I like that. But in fact the books we should give the kids have pop -ups of everything other than myths and fairy -tales.

You see, the problem is that atheists believe in "everything" other than unverified claims. People like you believe in nothing (selectively) but One Selected unverified claim, rejecting all the others.

The absurd idea that atheists have nothing to say is rather belied by the alternative accusation 'why do you spend so much time here posting about what you do not believe?'

You see, you people constantly contradict yourselves, and I know why. It is because you have no coherent logic basis and you have to make up ad hoc objections to this or that point, and don't relaize that it contradicts the other objections you make, because, to have a coherent understanding of the argument would show up what's wrong with it.

It's not your fault. Northsouth knows - as closed -minded (by all accounts) as yourself(1), deconverted, she is as "smart" as any of us.

She didn't acquire smarts along with the Atheist membership card, parking space and demand for back membership fees, but merely allowed the smarts she had to work, having removed the mental brakes applied by the Gospel demand that we all act stupid and just believe.

(1) excuse the liberty,dear lady. You may quote me in your memoirs. Or I'll settle for a deconversion -story.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-20-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Very good example of faith-based denial. Of course the 'experiential'. The oft heard claim "My mother, she was dying of cancer, see, and we all prayed for her...' is more effective related with what W.S Gilbert called 'corroborative detail, merely intended to impart verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative" which, being translated, means "A pack of lies dressed up to sound convincing', than as something heard about someone else, never mind just puting the argument hypothetically.

Overpaid Shills? Raffs hasn't paid me in months! I can't even get a rep out of him.

The book has already been written but of course it isn't about 'Nothing' but about everything other than the God claim and the Bible claim and the Christ -claim. Still writing mine and I already spent the advance . Pop -ups of nothing. I like that. But in fact the books we should give the kids have pop -ups of everything other than myths and fairy -tales.

You see, the problem is that atheists believe in "everything" other than unverified claims. People like you believe in nothing (selectively) but One Selected unverified claim, rejecting all the others.

The absurd idea that atheists have nothing to say is rather belied by the alternative accusation 'why do you spend so much time here posting about what you do not believe?'

You see, you people constantly contradict yourselves, and I know why. It is because you have no coherent logic basis and you have to make up ad hoc objections to this or that point, and don't relaize that it contradicts the other objections you make, because, to have a coherent understanding of the argument would show up what's wrong with it.

It's not your fault. Northsouth knows - as closed -minded (by all accounts) as yourself(1), deconverted, she is as "smart" as any of us.

She didn't acquire smarts along with the Atheist membership card, parking space and demand for back membership fees, but merely allowed the smarts she had to work, having removed the mental brakes applied by the Gospel demand that we all act stupid and just believe.

(1) excuse the liberty,dear lady. You may quote me in your memoirs. Or I'll settle for a deconversion -story.
God is love my "believe everything and nothing at the same time" friend. Love believes all things. I say yes to Yahweh...God is. You say no way to Yahweh saying He is not...yet believe everything else that without God cannot be...
Hell, even the demons believe...wretched and trembling, knowing their end. You have a stone in the way...it requires someone stronger than you to move it.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Steady on old thing!! I am paying for the meal in July!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Steady on old thing!! I am paying for the meal in July!
The hell you are! How dare you spurn my hospitality. AND the drinks! And the lady drinks. So there!!

Quote:
God is love my "believe everything and nothing at the same time" friend. Love believes all things. I say yes to Yahweh...God is. You say no way to Yahweh saying He is not...yet believe everything else that without God cannot be...
Hell, even the demons believe...wretched and trembling, knowing their end. You have a stone in the way...it requires someone stronger than you to move it.
Old son, that stone, like Seigfried's flames, vanished as soon as I refused to be deluded by it. It has gone; and your god, demons, Bible, Hellthreats and the whole grab -bag of religious twaddle, codswallop and flapdoodle has vanished with it.

If there is an intelligent creator, it is nothing whatsoever to do with your ancient tribal god adapted (like Isis and Mithras) by the Romans to suit themselves.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-21-2017 at 12:44 AM..

Old 05-21-2017, 11:33 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
As to Penn, I can't say how he came by his atheism and I have just heard a few remarks that Strobel was always a practicing Christian. I suppose I can check this up. If I can substantiate that, woud you accept that it is a ploemic bit of misinformation on his part? The film evidently goes only to apologists for the gospels, and does not even approach any of the atheists wih the counter - arguments.

P.s well, after looking I can't find anything to debunk the claim that he was formerly an atheist and converted. So for the moment I must accept that. Doesn't alter the fact that he goes only to the apologists FOR and doesn't even consider the case against. If he was an atheist trying to disprove Christianity, it was a very odd way to go about it. So I'm still suspicious about the story.

That also doesn't alter the fact that there are very sound rebuttals of the arguments he does come up with.
I think it's most practical in light of what's before us to consider where the evidence leads:

Strobel grew up in a deeply Christian household.
He likely never gave up the faith completely--probably at most lapsed into backslidden status
Probably wasn't very successful as an attorney
Had a yen for recognition and the limelight and especially for lots of money
Came to the realization that it's gullible Christians who are the biggest bread-butterers of all
Invented this scenario of being an atheist who found God trying to disprove Him--a surefire winner
Used his outgoing personality to get a TV show, formed a Christian base of fans, wrote the book which got pushed onto the bestselling list strictly by virtue of only Christians buying it---identical to the Left Behind series--sold the rights to a movie studio for lots of bread and achieved fame and fortune on the backs of gullible Christians (don't they all)

And there is the likely truth of this whole sordid affair.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
The hell you are! How dare you spurn my hospitality. AND the drinks! And the lady drinks. So there!!

Old son, that stone, like Seigfried's flames, vanished as soon as I refused to be deluded by it. It has gone; and your god, demons, Bible, Hellthreats and the whole grab -bag of religious twaddle, codswallop and flapdoodle has vanished with it.

If there is an intelligent creator, it is nothing whatsoever to do with your ancient tribal god adapted (like Isis and Mithras) by the Romans to suit themselves.
There is an intelligent creator, does not follow "if"...an unnecessary statement by you "if" all of it vanished from your mind. Here you are, still talking about it. But hey friend...Have a blessed day.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think it's most practical in light of what's before us to consider where the evidence leads:

He likely never gave up the faith completely--probably at most lapsed into backslidden status
Came to the realization that it's gullible Christians who are the biggest bread-butterers of all
Invented this scenario of being an atheist who found God trying to disprove Him--a surefire winner
Used his outgoing personality to get a TV show, formed a Christian base of fans, wrote the book which got pushed onto the bestselling list strictly by virtue of only Christians buying it---identical to the Left Behind series--sold the rights to a movie studio for lots of bread and achieved fame and fortune on the backs of gullible Christians (don't they all)

Left behind? Yes, nothing but bs. The Case for Christ? Seemingly contrived. And, I see that you retired your work(s) from being burned by the flames of God's love...yet you keep dancing around the fire.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
There is an intelligent creator, does not follow "if"...an unnecessary statement by you "if" all of it vanished from your mind. Here you are, still talking about it. But hey friend...Have a blessed day.
Quote:
Left behind? Yes, nothing but bs. The Case for Christ? Seemingly contrived. And, I see that you retired your work(s) from being burned by the flames of God's love...yet you keep dancing around the fire.
Just for information -so you can't say nobody told you - this unreasonng faith claims, judgemental abuse by you - not us or Jesus - by you, sunshine - and the silly-poo nosethumbing are only making you and the religion you are batting for look very poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Yes, the whole thing is just another apologetics film like 'Expelled' and that job of Ray Comfort's approaching unbelievers and converting them within minutes. I tried o find confirmation of this report of Strobel growing up in a Christian family and (to all accounts) being a Christian his whole life, but all I found - even on Wiki -was the official Blurb atheist converted trying to deconvert his wife.

So settling of this matter would be welcomed. If only to address one of the 'multiple issues' on Wiki.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
IDK, even when I considered myself a Christian, I didn't find his arguments compelling.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
IDK, even when I considered myself a Christian, I didn't find his arguments compelling.
Thank you. In fact the arguments might look better to me as a "thinking" atheist than an unthinking one, because as a 'don't care -not interested' atheist, 'miracles don't happen' seems a reasonable argument. To me now, it isn't an argument at all! If Jesus was a one -off son of God, then of course miracles like his would not normally happen. So maybe I credit Strobel's arguments more than the 'not bothered' atheist might.

But in fact they are open to serious rebuttal, and that is just what we never hear. I had another look and, while nobody seems to have shown that he had been a Christian all his life (one suggested a god -believer but not believing the gospels, another a 'not interested' atheist). many commentators have noted the rather hackneyed 'I used to be an atheist - like you..." line and the pretty biased approach to the argument of the film. Ben Stein's effort didn't do him or Creationism much good in the end. This film (and Book) doesn't deserve to do the author or his cause much good, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality