Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 10:38 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You call your mother a bimbo??? The first commandment with promise is that we honor our father and mother (first natural, then spiritual), the promise being that of long prosperous life. Peace
When I rewrote my own version of the bible, I added a disclaimer that one need not honor ones parents if the parents are abusive, neglectful, or closed-minded. Peace to you too.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:18 PM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
When I rewrote my own version of the bible, I added a disclaimer that one need not honor ones parents if the parents are abusive, neglectful, or closed-minded. Peace to you too.
LOL

Old 06-10-2017, 11:46 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:

Well, good for you. Think of all the money you'll save on birthdays, holidays, mother's day, ect. Peace

Old 06-11-2017, 10:00 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Well, good for you. Think of all the money you'll save on birthdays, holidays, mother's day, ect. Peace
That = $0
My mom has become a peaceful person since she left the baptist movement. I blame her abusive nature on bad religion which took advantage of her lack of education, average at best intelligence, and nurtured her negative and abusive thinking. it actually made her into an evil person because that is what evil religions do. She was the last of us to realize this and leave. She has been a happier person ever since. She openly admits now that her involvement with that church was a mistake and that the church in question was evil.
But is god evil?
Is god magic?
From my point of view, no and no. But humans enjoy fantasy. Iwent to Barnes and Noble book store last week and noticed that there are more fictions on the shelves than non fictions. People like stories. Whether a story about god or Godzilla, people love stories about magical creatures with larger than life adventures,with superhuman powers,immune to death and destruction. Some of these characters, like superman. Wonder woman, Jesus are good guys,some like demons, the joker, vampires and the god of the Bible and Koran are evil. But that is what humans seem to like, and I enjoy reading Joseph Campbell's works which endeavor to ananyze and explain the why behind mythology. Not the what, not the blind acceptance of it but the deep down evolution of gods myths and religions,fictional though they maybe .

Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 AM

15,863 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
That = $0
My mom has become a peaceful person since she left the baptist movement. I blame her abusive nature on bad religion which took advantage of her lack of education, average at best intelligence, and nurtured her negative and abusive thinking. it actually made her into an evil person because that is what evil religions do. She was the last of us to realize this and leave. She has been a happier person ever since. She openly admits now that her involvement with that church was a mistake and that the church in question was evil.
But is god evil?
Is god magic?
From my point of view, no and no. But humans enjoy fantasy. Iwent to Barnes and Noble book store last week and noticed that there are more fictions on the shelves than non fictions. People like stories. Whether a story about god or Godzilla, people love stories about magical creatures with larger than life adventures,with superhuman powers,immune to death and destruction. Some of these characters, like superman. Wonder woman, Jesus are good guys,some like demons, the joker, vampires and the god of the Bible and Koran are evil. But that is what humans seem to like, and I enjoy reading Joseph Campbell's works which endeavor to ananyze and explain the why behind mythology. Not the what, not the blind acceptance of it but the deep down evolution of gods myths and religions,fictional though they maybe .

Interesting guy.

I'm watching this right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUgZhLJCHk

Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Interesting guy.

You found him.......good onya

Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
That = $0
But is god evil?
Is god magic?

Old 06-16-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Interesting guy.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:44 PM

What has been made very clear to me during my time in the forum is that the main purpose of Religion seems to be to dictate to others in the name of God while pretending that it is out of love. This has been very disheartening since the message of love resonates throughout the spiritual speculations about God. I have a visceral animus against authoritarians and dictators that reached its peak in military service during Viet Nam. I find such dictatorial tendencies and desires to be anathema to ANY concept of God and certainly not remotely compatible with the God I encountered in deep meditation. The God I encountered and the one revealed by Christ (which is the only one I consider to be Christian) is entirely one of Love devoid of the primitive fear and authoritarian memes from the OT. I cannot reconcile and do not know how any Christian can reconcile Christ's God of love with ANY of the authoritarian nonsense from the OT especially when love is so completely described in 1st Cor 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount. I have lost faith in even some of those whom I had considered decent, loving people who seem consumed by dictatorial tendencies. Just love one another, nothing else matters.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 06-18-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 PM

15,863 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What has been made very clear to me during my time in the forum is that the main purpose of Religion seems to be to dictate to others in the name of God while pretending that it is out of love. This has been very disheartening since the message of love resonates throughout the spiritual speculations about God. I have a visceral animus against authoritarians and dictators that reached its peak in military service during Viet Nam. I find such dictatorial tendencies and desires to be anathema to ANY concept of God and certainly not remotely compatible with the God I encountered in deep meditation. The God I encountered and the one revealed by Christ (which is the only one I consider to be Christian) is entirely one of Love devoid of the primitive fear and authoritarian memes from the OT. I cannot reconcile and do not know how any Christian can reconcile Christ's God of love with ANY of the authoritarian nonsense from the OT especially when love is so completely described in 1st Cor 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount. I have lost faith in even some of those whom I had considered decent, loving people who seem consumed by dictatorial tendencies. Just love one another, nothing else matters.
Me too even though I don't have any Nam stories. It seems obvious that the Bible can be taken many different ways. It looks to me like it's value isn't in revealing who God is but revealing who the person truly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality