Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 01:36 PM

22,423 posts, read 19,304,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Plerro was really good at seeking to understand what people were saying, God rest her soul.
L8Gr8 too. She also can listen and hear where something is coming from.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:10 PM

23,226 posts, read 10,508,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
L8Gr8 too. She also can listen and hear where something is coming from.
Yeah, it is people like that that make me notice what a bad listener I am sometimes.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times
Quote:
Plerro was really good at seeking to understand what people were saying, God rest her soul.
what do you mean? she die?

Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what do you mean? she die?
O , my bad, no, I mean, I suppose she is fine, she is just dead to me.
I ruin everything I touch, these hands look Gentle but sure enough, I will get my mind in a tither not even thinking of what I am doing and when I open my eyes, I have squeezed all the life right out of thing.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
O , my bad, no, I mean, I suppose she is fine, she is just dead to me.
I ruin everything I touch, these hands look Gentle but sure enough, I will get my mind in a tither not even thinking of what I am doing and when I open my eyes, I have squeezed all the life right out of thing.
yeah, I get that. But hey, when you open your eyes you see it, that's a start.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is people like that that make me notice what a bad listener I am sometimes.
yup, l8, the other l8, pel, miss, ward, and a few others make me feel small to. its funny, the non milli/fundy can see a whole lot further than people locked into a belief statement or statement of belief, if you will.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:22 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,739,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I have never heard a clear -thinking reason to believe in a religion. I have heard a lot of clear -sounding arguments, but, when unpacked, they come down to unreason or bad reasons.
As far as traditional religions are concerned, I might agree, insofar as most of them have a tendency to make claims that are inconsistent with empirical evidence (which is why I have been focusing in this thread on holy books, because they tend to be the sources of these beliefs). But if one steps away from the trappings of holy books and considers more general concepts of God as a conscious (or unconscious) "Source of being" or as a "Cosmic Mind" or "Reality-as-Conscious" etc., then I think there are some good "clear-thinking" reasons for belief. I have not seen any evidence or arguments to convince me that God is the only rational option, but I certainly see God as a rational option.

Most of my openness to God concepts can be tracked back (as you are well aware, by now) to my belief that qualia cannot be explained in the objective terms of current science. Every line of reasoning and evidence that I have been able to track always ends up back to this point: The qualitative subjective aspects of reality end up being fundamental (or, at least, the potential for these properties ends up being fundamental). Reality is fundamentally qualitative, and to be qualitative is to be either conscious, unconscious, or proto-conscious. These considerations don't necessarily imply that there is a God (hence I am agnostic rather than straight-up theist) but, to be honest, insofar as I have to bet on these things, I place my bets in favor of some sort of God concept turning out to be true. I suspect that some variation of a Non-temporal Cosmic Mind or Non-temporal Reality-as-Conscious type of concept will turn out to be true. I personally doubt that God is an "Intelligent Designer" (although I think some variation of that concept can be reasonable) but I do strongly suspect that there is a form of "eternal intelligence" built into the fundamental fabric of Reality.

I also strongly suspect that people can, and do, "tap into" this "eternal intelligence" (or the eternal substrate that is the potential-for it) via the simple fact that we are intelligent conscious creatures and thus partake in this "Feeling of Being-ness" during every moment of our lives. As I've been saying, I doubt that God "writes books" but I don't doubt that some writing was (and probably still is) composed by people under the inspiration of some deep sense of "God within us". These people are still people, and thus they are entrenched in social/historical context, so parts of what they write are probably not highly relevant to everyone in every moment of history, but some aspects of their writing could be truly universal in the grandest sense of the term. These universal aspects could resonate with anyone who reads them in the proper frame of mind. Personally, I think it is unfortunate that people take these genuine aspects of resonance and assume that every aspect of the writing is literal historical/moral truth, but I can see how that happens, and this (I suspect) is how religions are born and sustained.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
As far as traditional religions are concerned, I might agree, insofar as most of them have a tendency to make claims that are inconsistent with empirical evidence (which is why I have been focusing in this thread on holy books, because they tend to be the sources of these beliefs). But if one steps away from the trappings of holy books and considers more general concepts of God as a conscious (or unconscious) "Source of being" or as a "Cosmic Mind" or "Reality-as-Conscious" etc., then I think there are some good "clear-thinking" reasons for belief. I have not seen any evidence or arguments to convince me that God is the only rational option, but I certainly see God as a rational option.

Most of my openness to God concepts can be tracked back (as you are well aware, by now) to my belief that qualia cannot be explained in the objective terms of current science. Every line of reasoning and evidence that I have been able to track always ends up back to this point: The qualitative subjective aspects of reality end up being fundamental (or, at least, the potential for these properties ends up being fundamental). Reality is fundamentally qualitative, and to be qualitative is to be either conscious, unconscious, or proto-conscious. These considerations don't necessarily imply that there is a God (hence I am agnostic rather than straight-up theist) but, to be honest, insofar as I have to bet on these things, I place my bets in favor of some sort of God concept turning out to be true. I suspect that some variation of a Non-temporal Cosmic Mind or Non-temporal Reality-as-Conscious type of concept will turn out to be true. I personally doubt that God is an "Intelligent Designer" (although I think some variation of that concept can be reasonable) but I do strongly suspect that there is a form of "eternal intelligence" built into the fundamental fabric of Reality.

I also strongly suspect that people can, and do, "tap into" this "eternal intelligence" (or the eternal substrate that is the potential-for it) via the simple fact that we are intelligent conscious creatures and thus partake in this "Feeling of Being-ness" during every moment of our lives. As I've been saying, I doubt that God "writes books" but I don't doubt that some writing was (and probably still is) composed by people under the inspiration of some deep sense of "God within us". These people are still people, and thus they are entrenched in social/historical context, so parts of what they write are probably not highly relevant to everyone in every moment of history, but some aspects of their writing could be truly universal in the grandest sense of the term. These universal aspects could resonate with anyone who reads them in the proper frame of mind. Personally, I think it is unfortunate that people take these genuine aspects of resonance and assume that every aspect of the writing is literal historical/moral truth, but I can see how that happens, and this (I suspect) is how religions are born and sustained.
the universe is universing.
To deny it at every turn is illogical.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, I get that. But hey, when you open your eyes you see it, that's a start.
O man like 15 people wrote me asking what happened to Plerro when I wrote that, we had all sorts of visitors asking,'' what did you do?'' ya know in that tone where they know that I will KNOW they were really the ones.

But really, I did hear that Plerro is some kind of insect scientist um, like she is some kind of wanna be insect and she is in East Asia studying some kind of bug that a certain color is derived from through the application of heat. Bug freaks, go figure.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:58 PM

22,423 posts, read 19,304,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
...I place my bets in favor of some sort of God concept turning out to be true. I suspect that some variation of a Non-temporal Cosmic Mind or Non-temporal Reality-as-Conscious type of concept will turn out to be true. I personally doubt that God is an "Intelligent Designer" (although I think some variation of that concept can be reasonable) but I do strongly suspect that there is a form of "eternal intelligence" built into the fundamental fabric of Reality...
So you favor "God being true."

And you see God being "non temporal." As in outside of time, as in not affected by time.

And you suspect an "eternal intelligence" as "fundamental to reality."

So basically you are recognizing fundamentals that religion has known for thousands of years. That is where your "critical thinking" and "graduate level" courses seem to have brought you.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-04-2017 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.