Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Seems fair (not to mention damned obvious) the more simple the mind, the more black and white the worldview.

Evidence attesting to the truth of the above abounds on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 04:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Where do we learn about sin but in the written-down Bible.
I'll go with what makes an action sinful is: leaning towards wrongdoing and acting upon it.
Unless damaged, we come equipped with an in-born, or built-in conscience.
One's conscience can either 'excuse' actions, or ones actions can 'accuse'.
And that twisted interpretation has been the cause of the majority of the wold's crisis.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:00 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
I'll defer to Al Bundy on this one.

Adultery is only a sin if you get caught.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:57 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Seems fair (not to mention damned obvious) the more simple the mind, the more black and white the worldview.

Evidence attesting to the truth of the above abounds on CD.
I am not sure that a black and white mind is simpler than a continuum mind or just a different way that the brain is wired.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Nah. Everybody has done it.
Telling post. Speak for yourself.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:10 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default Is adultery a sin?

Is betrayal an act of love for the one you are betraying? Agape love considers the well-being of everyone and avoids deliberate harm to anyone. A lack of agape love is sin (or missing the mark).

Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sure adultery is a sin even with Christians who are not under the law of Moses and are under the rules of spirit and in truth were they are born anew in the Spirit of Christ , as there is a content quickening of discernment for those who have a married mate that this is the one and only for you , and interest in others are lies from the discernment from Holy Spirit ....
May I ask you to explain what you have said here?
I'm sorry - it just goes right over my head.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:48 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Sexually people are pigs and will do everything to justify their actions.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:59 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
This is the trendy thought these days. My impression is Christian churches used to preach against sin. Now it's all about "do not judge". Are there any denominations left that still speak out against sin?
I think that is the main reason the Christian churches are losing members. Speaking out against sin isn't popular as it is offensive to the sinners who don't want to hear about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The less-evolved ones, sure. America is still chockfull of preachers who'll rant against sin and they still have a fair share of uneducated followers.

The more thoughtful, evolved believers realize that if their God wanted a black and white world, he woulda' made it that way. They are less quick to judge and more prone to consider situations and circumstances. Altogether too nuanced an approach for those who relish picturing other people in hell.
It is a matter of judging, but a matter of the law. Just like in man-made laws, if you run a stop sign, I am not judging you when I say you have broken the law, it is simply a statement of fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Look to your own Church and beliefs for this, what others believe should have no affect on your own
choices.
True to a certain extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Herein lies the crux of the matter. To many people "sin" is violating something that is on a list of "thou shalt nots" and that mindset is totally responsible for many egregious problems in the "Christian World." "Sin" is just knowingly doing something that is harmful or even potentially harmful to self, another person and/or society as a whole. "No damage, no foul" is a good rule of thumb, but potential damage given known circumstances must be considered.
Good summation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is the destruction of his marriage not his responsibility , and no one else's?

And what role does the man's wife have in this?
The mistress is equally responsible, the man's wife is just the unfortunate woman that married the man that is cheating on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are sins sin outside of religion? In over foriy years of marriage I have always been faithful. But if one is in an open marriage is adultry even cheating let alone a sin?
An open marriage is not a "Godly" marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Good question...Maybe think Polygamy...
You think polygamy is a "Godly" marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
easy way to raise an eye brow is to say...

Hey I am sleeping with a married man with three kids!!

oh...umm That man happens to be my hubby But lets leave out that part and see how folks squirm.

I do not convenant another's' commitment and vows....Its my social -moral gauge. Got much respect for marriage.

I have a friend that is an atheist....and he said to me once....just because I do not carry faith in a God, doesn't mean I am ill moral. Must say he is more respectful and open minded.

Bottom line- Its a sin that even on a court level still carries ramifications for the wayward.
It breaks the marriage contract, thus the issue with the legal system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'll defer to Al Bundy on this one.

Adultery is only a sin if you get caught.
But, God sees all!

Why Sexual Sin Is Such A Big Deal: https://www.gotquestions.org/sexual-sin.html

Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think that is the main reason the Christian churches are losing members. Speaking out against sin isn't popular as it is offensive to the sinners who don't want to hear about it.

It is a matter of judging, but a matter of the law. Just like in man-made laws, if you run a stop sign, I am not judging you when I say you have broken the law, it is simply a statement of fact.

True to a certain extent.

Good summation.

The mistress is equally responsible, the man's wife is just the unfortunate woman that married the man that is cheating on her.

An open marriage is not a "Godly" marriage.

You think polygamy is a "Godly" marriage?

It breaks the marriage contract, thus the issue with the legal system.

But, God sees all!

Why Sexual Sin Is Such A Big Deal: https://www.gotquestions.org/sexual-sin.html
By not a Godly marriage I assume you mean Judea Christian however that was not the point I was asking and as this is not the Christianity forum are open marriages wrong in any relationship that is not Judea Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality