Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:08 AM

22,206 posts, read 19,233,374 times

Advertisements

Let's draw parallels

Thank you to mensa, trans, arach, gaylen, nozz who have all pointed out astonishingly accurate parallels, and for providing the idea for this thread.

The topic of this thread is to highlight what we have in common.

The use of the equal sign in this thread is shorthand to indicate exact same behavior, or exact same mindset. Sort of a step beyond you do it too (which is just finger pointing and doesn't get us anywhere in discussing and understanding each other's views or the topics we are discussing in religion spirituality forum

to recognizing our blind spots and hopefully treating each other with increased dignity courtesy and respect.

Rabid atheist = rabid Christian = rabid spiritual but not religious

Person using the phrase rabid atheist = person using the phrase rabid Christian

Rabid = militant = extremist = attacking

Science doesn't know that yet = God works in mysterious ways

At least science can admit we don't know = his thoughts are not our thoughts

Not all atheists believe that = Not all religious people believe that

Your view of atheists is ridiculous and does not describe me at all = your view of why people are religious is way off the mark and bears no resemblance to me at all

Respect = dignity = courtesy

What parallels have you seen? How is recognizing them useful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 05:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
That reminded me of my attacking, angry, militant atheist ex.
I always said, 'I don't mind that he is atheist...but have you ever been with an attacking, angry, militant vegetarian...same thing!'
Can't take 'em anywhere!!! They're nuts!
Bless their little hearts....

Old 06-25-2017, 07:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I always said, 'I don't mind that he is atheist...but have you ever been with an attacking, angry, militant vegetarian...same thing!'
Nuts=enthusiastic......God only knows why. I'm my own kind of nut.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Let's draw parallels

Thank you to mensa, trans, arach, gaylen, nozz who have all pointed out astonishingly accurate parallels, and for providing the idea for this thread.

The topic of this thread is to highlight what we have in common.

The use of the equal sign in this thread is shorthand to indicate exact same behavior, or exact same mindset. Sort of a step beyond you do it too (which is just finger pointing and doesn't get us anywhere in discussing and understanding each other's views or the topics we are discussing in religion spirituality forum

to recognizing our blind spots and hopefully treating each other with increased dignity courtesy and respect.

Rabid atheist = rabid Christian = rabid spiritual but not religious

Person using the phrase rabid atheist = person using the phrase rabid Christian

Rabid = militant = extremist = attacking

Science doesn't know that yet = God works in mysterious ways

At least science can admit we don't know = his thoughts are not our thoughts

Not all atheists believe that = Not all religious people believe that

Your view of atheists is ridiculous and does not describe me at all = your view of why people are religious is way off the mark and bears no resemblance to me at all

Respect = dignity = courtesy

What parallels have you seen? How is recognizing them useful?
That kind of nails it. nice work by you. and I am guilty as charged.

weak theist = weak atheists these personality types can sit and talk about things as they are, not how they want them to be.

not a real atheist = not a real theists. we all should be proud of these tag. It means rational.

I think we in the middle have far more common than we do differences. I also think that the two ends of this boob stick (I am the middle boob) have a lot in common but they must answer to a statement of belief without the anchor of knowledge statement.

you also alluded to what I have been saying since day one. List the personality traits of people. You will see them as "rabid", "calm", "thoughtful", "emotional", not emotional".

then list (create a table) how they would express their beliefs in christian god, spirituality, and deny/minimize anything that looks like religion can use it.

sorry, I am a literal scientific method person. I am not sure i want to let that go.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:18 AM

331 posts, read 315,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Let's draw parallels
Kind of interesting that in your plea for a kinder and gentler dialogue, you thank everyone on the planet but dear old Troglodyte74 ... and then proceed to rely exclusively on ideas set forth in my posts. But that's OK - my reps-to-posts batting average sustains me.

Also kind of interesting that you come up with this "plea" only now that the regulars are getting their butts kicked up one side and down the other.

But all that aside, there are two fundamental problems with your plea:
  1. On forums such as this, Christianity is a red flag for an entire herd of enraged bulls. There will never be a kinder, gentler response to Christianity on forums such as this.
  2. For some religions, notably Christianity and Islam, proselytizing is part of the package. It is inherent in our belief systems that we are right, you are wrong, and your error is going to have drastic eternal consequences for you. I try to be low-key in my proselytizing, but I would not be here at all if I did not believe I were fulfilling the Great Commission. For the New Atheism, similarly, aggressive anti-Christian proselytizing is likewise part of the package.
The third fundamental problem is that some of us, including dear old Troglodyte74, enjoy intellectually kicking butt. In the marketplace of ideas, I have no obligation to play nice. I make my living not playing nice. If you want only warm and fuzzy dialogue, don't respond to my posts.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Plead guilty. I am human and have to battle with human foibles and impulses. We are sometimes unfair, dismissive, biased and judgemental.

But, rather than use that as an argument as to why this or that group is wrong, just try to do better but look at arguments on the evidence, not on how pleasant or unpleasant might be the person doing he argument.

"You know, you come across as attacking, judgemental, self -righteous and know-it-all."

"Sorry. I do try, but I'm only human,"

"That's not the reason; you do it because you know you are wrong."

"Doesn't that mean you know you are wrong when you do it?"

"Me? I never behave like that."

Old 06-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Kind of interesting that in your plea for a kinder and gentler dialogue, you thank everyone on the planet but dear old Troglodyte74 ... and then proceed to rely exclusively on ideas set forth in my posts. But that's OK - my reps-to-posts batting average sustains me.

Also kind of interesting that you come up with this "plea" only now that the regulars are getting their butts kicked up one side and down the other.

But all that aside, there are two fundamental problems with your plea:
  1. On forums such as this, Christianity is a red flag for an entire herd of enraged bulls. There will never be a kinder, gentler response to Christianity on forums such as this.
  2. For some religions, notably Christianity and Islam, proselytizing is part of the package. It is inherent in our belief systems that we are right, you are wrong, and your error is going to have drastic eternal consequences for you. I try to be low-key in my proselytizing, but I would not be here at all if I did not believe I were fulfilling the Great Commission. For the New Atheism, similarly, aggressive anti-Christian proselytizing is likewise part of the package.
The third fundamental problem is that some of us, including dear old Troglodyte74, enjoy intellectually kicking butt. In the marketplace of ideas, I have no obligation to play nice. I make my living not playing nice. If you want only warm and fuzzy dialogue, don't respond to my posts.
"There will never be a kinder gentler response" = "I'm not about to change"

"I have no obligation to play nice" = "it does not matter how I treat others" ="I lack a moral compass"

"I lack a moral compass" = "not a source of wisdom"

Old 06-25-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Plead guilty. I am human and have to battle with human foibles and impulses. We are sometimes unfair, dismissive, biased and judgemental.

But, rather than use that as an argument as to why this or that group is wrong, just try to do better but look at arguments on the evidence, not on how pleasant or unpleasant might be the person doing he argument.

"You know, you come across as attacking, judgemental, self -righteous and know-it-all."

"Sorry. I do try, but I'm only human,"

"That's not the reason; you do it because you know you are wrong."

"Doesn't that mean you know you are wrong when you do it?"

"Me? I never behave like that."
"It doesn't matter how you treat others" = "what matters is how fast you can talk in an argument" = not a source of wisdom

"Look at the evidence" = intentional repeated deception and dishonesty are evidence of lacking a moral compass = not to be trusted

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-25-2017 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 11:37 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Old 06-25-2017, 11:41 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
That kind of nails it. nice work by you. and I am guilty as charged.

weak theist = weak atheists these personality types can sit and talk about things as they are, not how they want them to be.

not a real atheist = not a real theists. we all should be proud of these tag. It means rational.

I think we in the middle have far more common than we do differences. I also think that the two ends of this boob stick (I am the middle boob) have a lot in common but they must answer to a statement of belief without the anchor of knowledge statement.

you also alluded to what I have been saying since day one. List the personality traits of people. You will see them as "rabid", "calm", "thoughtful", "emotional", not emotional".

then list (create a table) how they would express their beliefs in christian god, spirituality, and deny/minimize anything that looks like religion can use it.

sorry, I am a literal scientific method person. I am not sure i want to let that go.
Funny, everyone says they are guilty, hell, ya'll all guilty except me, I am never arrogant or judging, or biased, and never unkind, I may just be the perfect person, and O yeah, I DO KNOW IT ALL, lol.

Meh, we all guilty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality