Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyoursources View Post
Right before his early demise he told his disciples to buy swords if not for his early death shortly after that what were his plans with the swords?
Do you recall what the situation was for which the advice was give, and how many they said they had and how Jesus felt about that number"

I thought not. You just found a place where Jesus said to buy swords and said. "AHA! SEE!"

This is your methodology. You are a fraud.

35And He said to them, “When I sent you out without money belt and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?” They said, “No, nothing.” 36And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. 37“For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, ‘AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH TRANSGRESSORS’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment.” 38They said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”

Old 07-10-2017, 04:00 PM

42 posts, read 26,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Do you recall what the situation was for which the advice was give, and how many they said they had and how Jesus felt about that number"

I thought not. You just found a place where Jesus said to buy swords and said. "AHA! SEE!"

This is your methodology. You are a fraud.

35And He said to them, “When I sent you out without money belt and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?” They said, “No, nothing.” 36And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. 37“For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, ‘AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH TRANSGRESSORS’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment.” 38They said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”
They had 2 swords and it wasnt enough they needed way more. My question still persists what were the swords going to be for?

Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
They had 2 swords and it wasnt enough they needed way more. My question still persists what were the swords going to be for?
So part of the problem is your reading comprehension as well as your agenda: “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough."

Getreliablesources

Old 07-10-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
So part of the problem is your reading comprehension as well as your agenda: “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough."

Getreliablesources
What were the swords for?

Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 PM

34 posts, read 27,408 times
I think Christianity made two fatal mistakes in the last 200 years. These mistakes have IMO become the catalyst for their eventual demise (as witnessed by the growing number of non-believers, and the shrinking number believers attending services):

1. The church somehow, over time, lost the power to execute anyone who doubted, or questioned. Without the power to burn people at the stake, the church couldn't be expected to remain all-powerful. First answer to whatever your question (or doubt) was: "It's all a mystery....we can't explain most of the new Testament, but trust us when we say it's the word of God". The second time you ask your questions, or give doubt, in public, we will assume you are a heretic, and will have you burned at the stake. Now THAT was absolute power that most governments don't have, let alone private entities. No wonder Christianity thrived.

2. The church let time pass, and they let science continue to develop. If they wanted their business model to continue and thrive (power, money by forcing weekly membership dues, money payments for salvation in the earliest days of the church), they should have figured a way to stop the progress of science. For now we know what's in the sky (it ain't heaven), and now we know what's under the earth's crust, way down, AND we know that the earth is round. And we know so much more today, about recorded history of that time period....much more than any one person writing a single gospel. The church should never have admitted that they didn't know who, exactly, wrote each of the gospels. Another huge mistake.

It's too bad, if the catholic church (by extension the reformed churches, too) had magical powers to have stopped time and progress, they would still be a powerful entity, and hugely successful business model that anyone would envy (or else pay dearly with your life).

Old 07-10-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
What were the swords for?
You tell me, two swords... to overthrow the Roman garrison?

Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
You tell me, two swords... to overthrow the Roman garrison?
Two swords which are weapons and only weapons not like an wood cutters ax that has more uses than just violence. It only took a handful of men to over throw Imperial Russia when they stormed the winter palace by the way. Regardless Jesus there and then planted seeds of violence would you not agree?

Old 07-10-2017, 06:20 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Two swords which are weapons and only weapons not like an wood cutters ax that has more uses than just violence. It only took a handful of men to over throw Imperial Russia when they stormed the winter palace by the way. Regardless Jesus there and then planted seeds of violence would you not agree?

Have you actually READ His book, or are you just relying on your preconceived ideas or those of others? Peace

Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 PM

531 posts, read 452,982 times
Quote:
Was it not Yashau ben Yosef
Right, what I've found is "Yeshua", which has been transliterated into the European languages as "Jeshua".

Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
to think someday people will say that none of you ever existed . maybe because you will never do anything notable.
At least he and his hand full of followers did something notable. turned the known world upside down and inside out.. so in fact it is notable because they changed the world and it has never been the same since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality