Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Jesus said he was real...(?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 01:29 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There's nothing specific. It's all highly symbolic language that can be interpreted to mean almost anything.

Maybe the OT is referring to Ronald McDonald or Richard Nixon. Or Prince.
"He shall blossom as a flower and shall prosper among the nations so that his portion will be the palms and cloaks of all nations"

That's the kind of nonsense fundie claim are prophecies of Jesus. Matthew of Athens heard something like this and said, "Hey why don't we have the people waving palm branches and throwing their cloaks before Jesus". So he writes in

Quote:
8 A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road.
It's so obvious this and all similar verses using "He" could be about anybody-- even the man in the moon. I simply hate the phoniness Christians try to foist on us.

This is the kind of nonsense Christians present as conclusive evidence Jesus really is the Son of God. And they cannot comprehend why we're dubious of their claims.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:45 PM

So here we are at post #23 and not a single claim of ANYTHING other than the Bible to offer as evidence of Jesus.

This was soooooo predictable.

Now comes the deafening silence from the Christian camp as they mutter among themselves, "What have we got?"

Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So here we are at post #23 and not a single claim of ANYTHING other than the Bible to offer as evidence of Jesus.

This was soooooo predictable.

Now comes the deafening silence from the Christian camp as they mutter among themselves, "What have we got?"
Again...you need to explain why you need anything else. You haven't done that yet.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:02 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There it is. Show us exactly what you have that convinces you Jesus was a real person. It cannot be from the Bible because those writings are not considered historical evidence by non-biased Biblical scholars.

Go on. Show us something extra-Biblical that proves Jesus existed--ANYTHING, artifacts, a grave, a monument, an ossuary containing his bones, a relief, just anything-- and then let us examine it and if it is convincing I know that I will change my belief and say that he truly was the Son of God.

Go ahead!
Well, first of all, most of the "evidence" that I've seen is of a purely spiritual manner. In other words, the proof is not in the form of material, tangible, showy, or extravagant means. That's "man" stuff, and how the simple man operates. He needs flashy stuff in front of him before he'll budge, open his mind, and believe. So right off the bat, you've missed the point. Secondly, your "test" is much as the test given to Jesus by Mr. Enemy himself, during the 40 days in the wilderness. You can read up on that if you've got the guts to handle it. I'm not going to waste time repeating and regurgitating the text.

If you're in the mindset of not wanting to believe, you're already working to stop any signs of proof. And if you need a person or the universe to make the first move and hand you proof, you've again missed the boat. That's not how it's set up.

In the end, it is up to you (as with each individual) to prepare your heart and open your mind, and allow the chance to see and find proof. It's not up to others. That's why faith is such a huge aspect of it all. It's the ultimate spiritual mechanism that puts such matters into motion. It's something many people avoid due to pride and/or stubbornness. You can never walk into that house and see what's in there if you refuse to open the d@mn door.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-12-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The Bible. 66 books all attesting to him. All about him. Not that you'll suddenly believe it and repent. Proof is irrelevant if you're not willing to consider it.
Ok, now I believe in Harry Potter and the Lochness Monster.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:04 PM

Jesus helped me find my keys.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Jesus talks to me.
Jesus stopped me from getting on a plane that crashed.
Jesus got my wife pregnant, oops, I mean helped me get my wife pregnant(not actually physically, you know what I mean).

Old 07-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Hey, Jesus has the same size foot as me, I know this because when I was troubled, his footprints were the same size when he carried me.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Again...you need to explain why you need anything else. You haven't done that yet.
I'm not going to fall for that old trick. You haven't got anything so you try to make the other side talk themselves blue to cover your own failings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality