Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Yes we do.
Not unless you are omniscient, and you ain't

Quote:
What is the bible definition of a sinner?
One who breaks a law of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:42 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
If their is a God, and there is, you don't get the determine what is sin and what is just wrong.

How can I be a sinner according to you definition? You better learn what the Bible says, before you quote it.
According to my definition I just said you cannot be a sinner. And I didn't quote the Bible, did I?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The Giza pyramid was an incredibly expensive project with no real expected return on investment. Other than prestige for the pharaoh. If building another Giza pyramid had a lucrative potential return, you can bet another Giza pyramid would be built. Maybe not using the same techniques.
The bottom line is .... you can't.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx
IMO it all boils down to which one, matter or God is eternal. IMO it is is more logical to accept the God is eternal. Neither can be proved, neither can be disproved.
You need to reconsider your logic logically. Matter IS energy. We know energy exists, because it is us. A couple of centuries of experimentation with energy has led to the observation that energy can neither be created or destroyed, only changed in form. Thousands of years of claims concerning the existence of God has led to the observation that no such God can be observed. God has to be imagined. Now, LOGICALLY, which has more potential for being true, something which can be directly observed to be true, or something which can only be made up and imagined to be true?

Quote:
No formula, no matter how accurate, can explain the origin of energy. You also don't know what the first cause was.
Since we observe NO first causes, at what point are we required to declare that a "first cause" must exist? Again, this only occurs in the imagination, because no first causes are observed. Did energy have a cause? I don't know! According to our best observation it is eternal. It's certainly easy enough to imagine a cause for energy. But that's just make believe since no such thing is actually observed.

Quote:
Christianity did not squelch science, Christians ignorant of science tried to.
Coincidentally, these "Christians" happened to be the one's calling the shots and running the show. For centuries. But it is true that some of the most prominent early scientists were devout Christians. Newton is a prime example. Nothing in Newton's research served to indicate that no God was necessary for the universe to exist, however. That would come later.

Quote:
Any knowledgeable e Christian knows that is our best protection to keep our religion the way we want it.
There are currently something like 44,000 different denominations of Christians. And of course the other of the world's great religions are also fractured into competing groups with competing ideologies. So how do we know which religious belief is the one true religious belief? My experience has always been the the one true religious belief happens to belong to whatever believer that I am speaking to at that precise moment.

Quote:
If you think natural selection can be proved, I know more about science than you do. If you don't knowk genetics don't actually refute evolution, I know more science than you do.
Please substantiate this statement. While you are working on that, here is a little bit of a recent and very thorough scientific study done on comparing the human genome to the chimp genome.

Genome Research

Comparing the human and chimpanzee genomes: Searching for needles in a haystack
Ajit Varki1 and Tasha K. Altheide
Abstract

The chimpanzee genome sequence is a long-awaited milestone, providing opportunities to explore primate evolution and genetic contributions to human physiology and disease. Humans and chimpanzees shared a common ancestor ∼5-7 million years ago (Mya). The difference between the two genomes is actually not ∼1%, but ∼4%—comprising ∼35 million single nucleotide differences and ∼90 Mb of insertions and deletions. The challenge is to identify the many evolutionarily, physiologically, and biomedically important differences scattered throughout these genomes while integrating these data with emerging knowledge about the corresponding “phenomes” and the relevant environmental influences. It is logical to tackle the genetic aspects via both genome-wide analyses and candidate gene studies. Genome-wide surveys could eliminate the majority of genomic sequence differences from consideration, while simultaneously identifying potential targets of opportunity. Meanwhile, candidate gene approaches can be based on such genomic surveys, on genes that may contribute to known differences in phenotypes or disease incidence/severity, or on mutations in the human population that impact unique aspects of the human condition. These two approaches will intersect at many levels and should be considered complementary. We also cite some known genetic differences between humans and great apes, realizing that these likely represent only the tip of the iceberg.

Humans (Homo sapiens) and chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) last shared a common ancestor ∼5-7 million years ago (Mya) (Chen and Li 2001; Brunet et al. 2002). What makes humans different from their closest evolutionary relatives, and how, why, and when did these changes occur? These are fascinating questions, and a major challenge is to explain how genomic differences contributed to this process (Goodman 1999; Gagneux and Varki 2001; Klein and Takahata 2002; Carroll 2003; Olson and Varki 2003; Enard and Pääbo 2004; Gagneux 2004; Ruvolo 2004; Goodman et al. 2005; Li and Saunders 2005; McConkey and Varki 2005). Most genome projects focus on elucidating the sequence and structure of a species' genome and then identifying conserved functionally important genes and genomic elements. The finished human genome (International Human Genome Sequencing Consortium 2004) provides such a catalog of genomic features that ultimately interact with the environment to determine our biology, physiology, and disease susceptibility. Completion of the draft chimpanzee genome sequence (The Chimpanzee Sequencing and Analysis Consortium 2005) provides a genome-wide comparative catalog that can be used to identify genes or genomic regions underlying the many features that distinguish humans and chimpanzees.
Comparing the human and chimpanzee genomes: Searching for needles in a haystack

This years long study found that humans and chimps do not share a 99% common genetic background which has an earlier more preliminary study suggested. More precise comparisons indicate that the figure is actually closer to 96%.

Natural selection can be substantiated simply by reading the genetic code of different species. Some species like chimps and humans are clearly quite closely related. Our break from a common ancestor occurred more recently than did our break from, say, a lemur. But we have common traits with virtually ALL living species. It's just that the genetic similarities became less and less as time passed.

Denying science is no different from promoting ignorance.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
What can' be proved is the origin of God or the origin of matter and what was first life. Of course scientific theories can be proved or disproved. While science know some of how the universe operates, it know nothing abut how it came into being.

What also can't be proved is that Christianity is a superstitution.
It can't be proven that there is no God, this is true. Much in the same way that it can't be proven that there is no Santa Claus. It CAN be established that these claims are entirely derived from the imagination however, and in no way correspond to anything that can be demonstrated to have physical reality.

Science has establish an amazing amount of information on just how the universe came into being during the last 100 years. But the investigation continues. What science DOES NOT DO, is make up answers and declare them to be true. That is the realm of religion.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:33 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Not unless you are omniscient, and you ain't

One who breaks a law of God.
Doesn't cut it, sorry.

If I was created by this god then I am doing (and have done) exactly what this god intended because that is how I was created.. How is that a sin?

And by the way, we are made in God's image are we not?

Last edited by 303Guy; 08-01-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The bottom line is .... you can't.
Of course I can't personally. But if someone with the money wanted to build another bigger and better pyramid, stone for stone, we certainly have the technology to do it. We don't always know exactly how the ancients accomplished the things they accomplished, but that doesn't mean that we can't replicate what they did.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And you know that the 6 thousand year old earth is from a calculation made by an Irish bishop long before much of our knowledge came to being? YEC have made one man's calculation into religious doctrine.
I did not say the earth is 6 thousands years .
I said the human is 6 thousands years and that was based on the age of the messengers and prophets and the years between them , from the first one Adam to the final one Mahammad peace be upon them all.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:34 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
I did not say the earth is 6 thousands years .
I said the human is 6 thousands years and that was based on the age of the messengers and prophets and the years between them , from the first one Adam to the final one Mahammad peace be upon them all.
Can you show us how this was calculated?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
According to my definition I just said you cannot be a sinner. And I didn't quote the Bible, did I?
No, but you also have not given me your credentials that indicate you know what sin is. Why should I believe your?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality