Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 01:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

yup, weather he existed or not is irrelevant to regular people today. however, that being said, "died, rose, and flew away."?

we need to address that and why someone, in the states, today would believe that or teach that as literally true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 02:24 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
What is his correct name ? Jesus or Yesua
and why there different in pronouncing his names?
Yeshua (Yehoshua) means to rescue or deliver in Hebrew. The English equivalent is Joshua. In Greek Yeshua was spelled Iesus, which transformed into Jesus in English speech and spelling. The miraculous name of Je-sus was actually not the way his name was pronounced at all. The best approximation for the way his name was commonly pronounced in his day was probably Yah-shu. Or perhaps Yay-shu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller
the Gospels, is not the only information on Jesus , there are two more sources.
and Jesus was not executed.

The Quran was completed the year Muhammud died, 623 AD. Roughly 600 years after Jesus lived. 600 years ago, from now, it was the 15th century. The year that Columbius discovered the "New World." I undoubtely know VASTLY more about Columbus than Muhammad, who was illiterate, knew about Jesus. Except of course through rumor and legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller
there are many things no records for it except Allah such as Noah.
Noah is clearly a mythological character. In Sumerian mythology he was known as Utnapishtim.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:36 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
When you present another plausible explanation for the universe I will consider it and I promise to try and not laugh.
We are still waiting for your plausible explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
A creation needs a Creator is the most logical answer. An orderly universe needs an Intelligent Designer, follows.
A creation needs a Creator is the most logical answer?
No doubt you are about to explain exactly why and how this would be? The how part would be most interesting.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
"created" may fit the earth. Like a cell in you is created.

But the universe, nobody knows so forcing a creator on people is wrong.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
No, no. 'forcing' or to put it correctly, putting forward the argument - which is a free -speech society he is free to do - for an intelligent will as the origins of everything os ok. That he ignores the objections is his own problems, but if we end up with 'Don't know", that's an end to that as valid evidence of anything.
That the science puts these objections and concludes that no valid case has been made is forcing nothing on anybody. They are free to rely on the science or not - at their own risk.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:21 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"created" may fit the earth. Like a cell in you is created.

But the universe, nobody knows so forcing a creator on people is wrong.

The Muslims know because it is mentioned in the Quran in the following verses
Then He took hold of the sky while it was smoke.
Have the disbelievers not seen that the skies (space) and the earth (matter) were joined together then We ripped them apart? (The big bang)

We have constructed the universe with might (power) and We are expanding it (The universe is still expanding)
See you not how Allah has created the seven heavens one above another? (there are seven universes or seven spaces or 7 heavens or 7 skies)
Who created the seven heavens one above another; you see no incongruity in the creation of the Beneficent Allah; then look again, can you see any disorder?
And certainly We have adorned this lower heaven with lamps and We have made these missiles for the Shaitans, and We have prepared for them the chastisement of burning. The Holy Quran

Last edited by truth_teller; 08-12-2017 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 PM

truth_teller, the Quran could not possibly have made any mention of the universe. The existence of the universe was only discovered a few short years ago - long after the Quran was written. There simply was no word for 'universe' back then.

The date of the announcement of the discovery of other galaxies was January 1, 1925. Some 1,400 years after the completion of the writing of the Quran.

Quote:
Now and only now do we get to the stunning public reveal. On January 1, 1925, Hubble remained in splendid isolation at Mount Wilson while Russell read his revolutionary paper about the existence of other galaxies to an enthusiastic crowd. Hubble shared the best-paper prize. His paper ended the Great Debate, and did much more. It quickly increased the size of the known universe by a staggering factor of 100,000. It set the stage for the discovery of the expanding universe and, by extension, an initial Big Bang (already hinted at in the nebula velocities logged by Slipher). If any date can be said to be the birthday of modern cosmology, this is it.

Last edited by 303Guy; 08-12-2017 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 09:00 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
truth_teller, the Quran could not possibly have made any mention of the universe. The existence of the universe was only discovered a few short years ago - long after the Quran was written. There simply was no word for 'universe' back then.

The date of the announcement of the discovery of other galaxies was January 1, 1925. Some 1,400 years after the completion of the writing of the Quran.

that is why the Quran is considered the eternal miracle
because it contains knowledge were not known at that time.

Allah send more than ten thousands messengers since Adam until Mahammad and support them with miracles such as parting the sea and moon split and Jesus borne without a father and he spoke
when he was one day old to the public who were going to do something bad for his mother Maryam
because they thought that she committed adultery
but he spoke to them when he is in the cradle and that was one of his miracles then his people knew that his mother is pure and he is a prophet .

and it is been now more than 1400 years since the final messenger Mahammad and we will not have new messengers as the previous generations but we do not need new messenger or new miracle because we have the Quran the eternal miracle .

Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 AM

Did the Quran foretell of computers, cell phones, motor cars, airplanes and so on?

Old 08-13-2017, 03:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
that is why the Quran is considered the eternal miracle
because it contains knowledge were not known at that time.

Allah send more than ten thousands messengers since Adam until Mahammad and support them with miracles such as parting the sea and moon split and Jesus borne without a father and he spoke
when he was one day old to the public who were going to do something bad for his mother Maryam
because they thought that she committed adultery
but he spoke to them when he is in the cradle and that was one of his miracles then his people knew that his mother is pure and he is a prophet .

and it is been now more than 1400 years since the final messenger Mahammad and we will not have new messengers as the previous generations but we do not need new messenger or new miracle because we have the Quran the eternal miracle .
The Quran is considered a 'Miracle' as you say because of religious Faith, which is why the contents of the Book of Mormon, the Bhaghavad Gita and indeed every Holy Book ever written is considered to contain divine revelation.

If the Quran is true, the others are wrong. If one of the others is right, the others - including the Quran - is wrong.

And, as has come out very clearly, the best arguments for the Quran do not stand up to question, and the best arguments against are apparently ignored by you and you resort to ludicrous suggestion that we are jealous ( ) or you play then 'Why do millions believe it, then?' card. Which Christians of course use to support their claims, too.

You know, the best argument you have is 'let them write another like it'.

Well, I doubt you could write a series of Novels as good as Harry Potter, nine symphonies as good as Beethoven or indeed make apologetics as good as mine, but that doesn't mean they are divinely inspired, only that hard work and acquired ability produced the results.

I once said to a Christian apologist who suggested that Satan was doing my thinking for me that, if that was the case, I wouldn't have had to put in the work I did.

I had a long discussion on a dedicated thread about the origins of the Quran with my pal, moderator LI and it did pose a few tough questions. LI said that he learned Quranic Arabic and tried to write it, but it sounded 'Harsh' I think he said - it couldn't compare with the poetry of the Quran, which I have to accept is true. Few, if any, could write another like it, in poetic terms, though as we saw, in terms of scientific content it leaves a great deal to be desired.

So, if it is the work or men, how could they have written such a book?

I had to discard the idea that it was reconstructed from the memories of the followers of the Prophet, together with odd bits written on bits of wood or pebbles. Clearly, even if they did collate the utterances of Muhammad, some mighty editing and arrangement by a superb writer was needed to produce this result.

Given that the scientific errors alone means that it has to be the work of men (and men very much of the time judging by the unedifying contents), what man or men could have done this?

If there is an explanation, I suggest that Caliph Uthman had a court in which (as I read) top class Arabic poetry was the language of elite commerce, court society, and political dialogue. The very best poets of the time were in and out in droves. How likely then that if Uthman decided the basis of the religion of his empire was to be given written form, he would give his top poets the job of doing it?

Thus this best and toughest objection at least has a plausible explanation, and the other arguments for the Quran, our posting pal, do not present anything as tough a question to the infidel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality