Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:12 AM

15,889 posts, read 6,354,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm not against any Christians. I'm not even against the atheists and pagans. I love you and others here. I even love Trout. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise. It's not the Christians that are insulting others daily here, and attacking anyone that claims to be Christian.
You've attributed bad intentions to their failure to see things your way all the way to calling them expressing themselves an "attack". Do you not see Christians disagreeing with Christians as well? Are all Christians part of your "in group"?

Quote:
Interestingly enough, on this forum, the ones that tend to be the most intolerant are those that decry doctrine, or the Bible.

I think they truly hate what God has said in his Word. They prefer to make a god of their own choosing, is my personal guess.
This is the definition of intolerance:

lack of tolerance; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect opinions or beliefs contrary to one's own.
unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect persons of a different social group, especially members of a minority group.

By not being able to allow people with contradictory views into your in group you are being intolerant. What's true for me might not be true for you. Things aren't always what the seem to be and all that.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You've attributed bad intentions to their failure to see things your way all the way to calling them expressing themselves an "attack". Do you not see Christians disagreeing with Christians as well? Are all Christians part of your "in group"?
Yes. All Christians are part of my group. But I'm not going to let you define what it means to be a Christian. If you're not one, you don't get to do that.
Quote:

This is the definition of intolerance:

lack of tolerance; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect opinions or beliefs contrary to one's own.
unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect persons of a different social group, especially members of a minority group.

By not being able to allow people with contradictory views into your in group you are being intolerant. What's true for me might not be true for you. Things aren't always what the seem to be and all that.
Do you believe words have meaning? If people believe different things, we are by definition NOT the same.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes. All Christians are part of my group. But I'm not going to let you define what it means to be a Christian. If you're not one, you don't get to do that.
I don't see where I did that. Can you point out what I said that prompted that response? If you want to know who I think is a Christian it's anyone who says they are.

Quote:
Do you believe words have meaning? If people believe different things, we are by definition NOT the same.
Yes, but I believe words can be interpreted many different ways and still be valid.

I disagree. I think we all fall under the umbrella of humans. We all have the same needs. I think you are concentrating on a very small part of what it means to be human...our conclusions. How can I know if I didn't have the same life experiences as you I wouldn't have come up with your answers? How can you know if you didn't have mine you wouldn't come up with my answers? I'm assuming we are the same so that is a real possibility to me.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
I don't see where I did that. Can you point out what I said that prompted that response? If you want to know who I think is a Christian it's anyone who says they are.
And that's the issue. You think that I'm dividing and intolerant because I actually believe what God said about who is and is not a believer.
Quote:

Yes, but I believe words can be interpreted many different ways and still be valid.

I disagree. I think we all fall under the umbrella of humans. We all have the same needs. I think you are concentrating on a very small part of what it means to be human...our conclusions. How can I know if I didn't have the same life experiences as you I wouldn't have come up with your answers? How can you know if you didn't have mine you wouldn't come up with my answers? I'm assuming we are the same so that is a real possibility to me.
You can believe what you want. I will still love you. I will also plead with you to repent of your sin and trust Jesus, who died on a cross so that you could be saved.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:00 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,055,061 times
Quote:

How can you know? You know by having the same Spirit. You had a book before, but you didn't have the Spirit. And you had people telling you what the book meant, but you didn't have the Spirit telling you what it meant. You did your best to please people and it failed. And I would dare even say it failed because He wanted it to fail, so you would turn to the Spirit and not man.

And I believe you met that Spirit, but what you need is to now make Him Lord of your life, to bow the knee to His Lordship. You do that by asking Him to forgive you your sins and asking Him to save you from them and come into your heart and be Lord over all. It's not about a book, it's the Spirit of the book that you must have first. Then HE will lead you and guide you into all Truth, everything that He has said. Peace

Old 08-24-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
And that's the issue. You think that I'm dividing and intolerant because I actually believe what God said about who is and is not a believer.

You can believe what you want. I will still love you. I will also plead with you to repent of your sin and trust Jesus, who died on a cross so that you could be saved.
I have no idea what your definition of a believer is and I actually hadn't even wondered about it. I'm curious now because you said believer instead of Christian. Are you including other religions in your worldview? I was discussing intolerance with you. If you are intolerant that has nothing to do with me. I don't live in your head.

If you love someone you try to understand and accept them. You don't try to change them.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
Quote:
I have no idea what your definition of a believer is and I actually hadn't even wondered about it. I'm curious now because you said believer instead of Christian. Are you including other religions in your worldview? I was discussing intolerance with you. If you are intolerant that has nothing to do with me. I don't live in your head.

If you love someone you try to understand and accept them. You don't try to change them.
That's true of all empathetic, compassionate, loving people but I've yet to see a fundie demonstrate those character traits.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:

And this is the point. You include "Christians" by defining "Christian" as being like you.

“He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic , rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him In !

From the poem " Outwitted” By Edwin Markham.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And this is the point. You include "Christians" by defining "Christian" as being like you.

“He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic , rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him In !

From the poem " Outwitted” By Edwin Markham.

But G-d was smarter yet-
He drew a cross to square both our debt.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
How can you know? You know by having the same Spirit. You had a book before, but you didn't have the Spirit. And you had people telling you what the book meant, but you didn't have the Spirit telling you what it meant. You did your best to please people and it failed. And I would dare even say it failed because He wanted it to fail, so you would turn to the Spirit and not man.
I can't. I can only go by what resonates with what was given me. Nothing they ever said resonated with me. It all seemed so elitist and violent to me so I thought I was the wicked one. I'll tell you a couple stories about "the spirit" when I was in that religion:

I went to a high school small academic competition when I was a junior. I ended up making it all the to Nationals. I signed up to take the test in economics even though I had never read anything about economics but, for some reason, I did well at the state level. When I got in that room and looked down at that test I didn't know any of the answers but it was multiple guess so hey, whatever. Then something clicked in my mind and I saw all the distractors fall away. I ended up finishing the test within minutes. I won 1st place. I had been treated fairly well by my fellow classmates but still i was the "JW girl" and couldn't go to their houses or parties. I was so proud that God had used me (even though I was wicked) to show the entire class that a JW was someone to be respected. I was always told every little thing I did reflected on God so I had better not screw up. When the elder's found out about it I was taken in the back room and reproved for bringing attention to myself because I made the paper. After they reproved me I went out into the hall and they had an hour long "special needs talk" about what I had done and "marked" me. As I sat there listening to what they were saying about me I believed it was God who helped me win that competition and this was he way of telling me it was his way of helping me accept I wasn't worthy.

Then, this is how I ended up getting out of the group. I left home at 19 and would have been in a new congregation. Before I had ever even been there they assigned me a part at one of the meetings. I knew I was dead meat but the time was so short I was was going to stay in to save as many people as possible before the end came. A couple of hours before I was due to show up at the Kingdom hall for the first time some lady rear ends my car out of no where. There was some mix up with my insurance so I had to deal with the police, my insurance guy and I had no car to get there. I thought it was God preventing me from going as to keep the congregation clean from wicked people like me.

Quote:
And I believe you met that Spirit, but what you need is to now make Him Lord of your life, to bow the knee to His Lordship. You do that by asking Him to forgive you your sins and asking Him to save you from them and come into your heart and be Lord over all. It's not about a book, it's the Spirit of the book that you must have first. Then HE will lead you and guide you into all Truth, everything that He has said. Peace
I was on my knees on a good day. Most days I was lower. That's the thing Rbbi, the "spirit" held me up until I could stand. It doesn't want me on my knees or it could have left me there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality