Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 12:02 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
neither do many Buddhists think Buddha was mortal.
I wasn't aware that I addressed that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 12:09 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But not all people believe Jesus to be "mortal".
This is my understanding of Gautama. He was someone who achieved the clarity of a Buddah but Buddah itself is a concept similar to Messiah as a concept. I think it doesn't translate into certain religious sects that have only one being occupying that role. How accurate do you find my understanding?

Old 04-17-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This is my understanding of Gautama. He was someone who achieved the clarity of a Buddah but Buddah itself is a concept similar to Messiah as a concept. I think it doesn't translate into certain religious sects that have only one being occupying that role. How accurate do you find my understanding?
I'm not saying you're wrong. But it's not quite how I look at it...which is fine.

There have supposedly been a long line of Buddhas (some sects say 5, 7, 12, or 28) all of which have zero evidence of existance except for Gautama, and based on the teaching of Thai Buddhism (Theravada), each lived at a time after all the teachings of the previous Buddha had totally faded away from mankind's consciousness. Then the new Buddha would come. Which would mean that there were Buddhas as far back as (for example) Australopithecus. Well, excuse me...that's baloney. But, that may be where the concept is somewhat similar to a Messiah (again, somewhat).

But I think of how one sees Buddhism really does depend on whether one sees Buddhism as a religion or a philosophy, or somewhere in between. To me it's a philosophy where one looks at a teaching and reasons it out in terms of does this make sense to me. For example, when I look at the 5 (or 8) Precepts, they seem very reasonable (although not necessarily easy). But when I look at the 250 (give or take) precepts that monks are required to follow...some of them seem silly (https://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/vinaya/227.htm).

I guess I kinda rambled.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:07 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that I addressed that here.
Sure you did. It was part of your assertion about Jesus.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Buddha is Sanskrit in which it merely means one who has achieved wisdom, derived from the root word buddhi, intellect. I does not mean Messiah, someone ordained by God to lead people or anything like that. It does however mean a special kind of wisdom, of realization. He however never said anything about it, but some of his Indian followers revere him as an avatar of Vishnu.

Old 04-17-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Sure you did. It was part of your assertion about Jesus.
No I didn't. My total post consisted of this: "But not all people believe Jesus to be "mortal"."

Old 04-17-2023, 06:38 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
every person has within the potential to be a Buddha.

"Buddha stated emphatically that we can all become Buddhas. And Buddha said that everyone can achieve what he did; everyone can become a Buddha. This is because we all have “Buddha-nature” – the fundamental working materials that enable Buddhahood."

Everyone Can Become a Buddha
from StudyBuddhism.com

Old 04-17-2023, 07:03 PM

Quote:
No I didn't. My total post consisted of this: "But not all people believe Jesus to be "mortal"."
Both Jesus and Buddha were mentioned in the post you responded to.
End of banter.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Both Jesus and Buddha were mentioned in the post you responded to.
End of banter.
It's not banter. You are misreprestenting what I said. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality