Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:40 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Embalming fluid is very toxic since it contains a mixture of formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, methanol, and or other solvents. No creature or plant would be happy with these toxic chemicals seeping into their environment.

I want to go all natural no embalming for me!
I didn't think of that aspect. What happens in a cemetery when embalmed people are buried, I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I didn't think of that aspect. What happens in a cemetery when embalmed people are buried, I wonder?
Within most city limits, they are entombed in a cement vault to protect the water supply/water table and other facets of the environment. But you are welcome to a rural tree burying ceremony, provided you own the land.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The concept of Atheism varies from follower to follower; however, a general belief in a majority of Atheists, IMO, is that death is the final end, and there is nothing after it!

On the other hand, believers of almost all faiths believe that consciousness continuous after we die.

Looks like science is slowling moving in favor of believers.

What's gonna happen now is that those Atheists who previously believed that there is nothing after death, will slowly change their stance, and now come up with theories like, "ohh yeah, we may be moved into another parallel universe, or we come back as animals, or our consciousness just floats in the wide space of universe etc.

The scientific article stated that consciousness persists after the heart has stopped beating. Since consciousness is clearly a brain function of some sort, and since neurons, glia and neural connections do not immediately cease to exist nor stop every single activity after the heart stops beating - its not as surprising as the tabloids have made it seem.

As for the childish theories you came up with in your last paragraph - let me add another one. The consciousness floats out and goes to a paradise and lives forever with angels and relatives. Just add an old book cloaked in the fake-authenticity of age and a few good stories to that and you've got yourself a religion that rubes and suckers will lap up.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:50 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Maybe not. Maybe they'll realize that they were wrong and embrace that possibility.
I prefer to drive my car to the afterlife. I don't see why not. Yes. Indeed. Even if I didn't eat the salmon mousse.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Your body will need to be buried or cremated within a day or two of your death. That is the way in the Jewish religion. Or frozen until such time.
I'm not Jewish and I don't plan on being embalmed or cremated.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:21 PM

3,640 posts, read 39,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The subconscious and imagination (what you call the soul's own eyes) is not very well understood, but an unknown is not a known.
Of course an unknown is not known but not everything unseen is known. Does a dead man have dreams? No. His soul has tasted death. He can't see with his soul's eyes anymore.

Quote:
There is no good or valid reason to believe in a soul or an afterlife or indeed that dreams are a revelation of some reality in the afterlife or a spirit -dimension.
Soul, afterlife, spirit, angels, God, paradise and hell are all religious terms. Religious terms are about unseen. Unknown is unseen or else it would be known.

Quote:
And indeed there are good reasons to believe they are not.
I saw my father in a dream at a place I had never seen in my life even in any picture or photo. He had passed away 5 years earlier. He smiled and said to me, "I didn't think you would get here in time". I then woke up. For six years, I wondered where that place is until I was there one day; the exact same place I had seen in dream six years earlier. How did I see that exact place in my dream six years earlier in my dream if it was not with the eyes of my soul?

Quote:
From all I've heard of actual dreams they are confused and nonsensical. Whatever they are, they do not like truthful revelations about anything.
It may be the case in your case but not all dreams are nonsensical. Many may be meaningless but my experience tells me not to completely disregard all dreams.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The toxicity of embalming fluid is one of the reasons often cited by individuals who choose a 'green' burial, which are becoming more common.

There is really no reason to have a body embalmed...unless there is a 'reason' the body needs to be temporarily preserved (either for transportation or because of delayed viewing or funeral service) then there really is no reason to have it done.

When an embalmed body is buried and decays, the embalming fluid can seep into the ground and affect the surrounding soil and water ecosystems.

Quote:
The modern practice of embalming replaces organic blood with various toxic and carcinogenic chemicals, particularly formaldehyde. Then the embalmed body is placed underground where, despite the casket, the body's fluids will inevitably leak into the groundwater. Alternatively, the body may be burned, releasing chemicals into the air. The initial reasons for the use of embalming and the rationale given for the continuance of the practice fail to justify the potential public health and environmental risks presented by embalming.
Source: Drinking grandma: the problem of embalming.

Formaldehyde is very toxic to plants and animals as well as the environment.

This ancient ritual really has no place in a modern society. But hey we still have folks who think the earth is flat and that there is a bearded man in the sky waiting for them upon death to judge them. Welcome to ancient beliefs still clinging on in the 21st Century.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:12 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
According to some historians, formaldehyde embalming originated on the battlefields within the last couple hundred years or so.

Of course we are all familiar with ancient Egyptian corpse preservation... not sure if the ancient Egyptian burial regimen was religious or not, because they really believed in an afterlife. One can have a burial service and not be religious.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
If a persons consciousness is still active after the body dies, maybe its possible people sort of create their own afterlives, Im sure we all have our own mental theories on what the after life is like, what it looks and feels like...maybe that is strong enough to actually make it come to fruition?

What truly scares me is some of the numerous NDEs I have read where some people claim they end up in a black void, with nothing but their own conscious mind, they say it feels like laying in a room that is completely black, and not being able to move or speak, its just basically your mind existing in a black void...this would be my worst fear, I would panic instantly, but not a thing I could do about it, and knowing that is how its going to be forever..geez, I hate thinking about this.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:26 AM

^^^ Perhaps those folks stuck in the black void just need work on their imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality