Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:02 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times

Advertisements

This is a thread to better understand each other's faith, and also to learn from each other and find common ground.

I would like all believers to participate and tell us the guidance provided by your faith that leads to morally good actions. Our Atheists friends are also welcome to participate and tell us if there any common morals.

Please know that this is NOT a hosing down contest.

I will start with mine with the a few points. Islam.
These are not in any particular order except for #1, which is always #1 in my faith.

1 - The strict belief in monotheism. There is ONLY ONE God so worship him alone.
2 - Do justice among people and do not do injustice to anyone. Be forgiving, be generous and be tolerant.
3 - Take care of your parents just as they took care of you when you were a baby.
4 - Give rights to women, children, and anyone who deserves it.
5 - Strictly forbidden to take the life of an innocent person.
6 - Avoid foul mouthing.
7 - Always be kind to orphan kids. And never forfeit their rights.
8 - Help the poor and needy whichever way you can.
9 - Avoid back biting and gossip.
10 - Save resources and don't waste.
11 - Don't insult anyone else God who they believe through their faith.
12 - Avoid cheating, lying, deceiving and scheming against others.
13 - Earn an honest living.
14 - Avoid Gambling, alcohol (recreational drugs etc) and pork meat.
15 - Live a life by staying in the middle path and avoid going into extremes in any direction.
16 - Avoid Hypocrisy
17 - Always be hopeful and never lose hope.
18 - You may think you could get away with a wrong doing against someone in this life, but there will be justice served to you on the doomsday. So make wise choices. There will be an accountability of your actions where there will be no where to run and nowhere to hide.
19 - If you commit a sin or make a mistake against God, then repent and do an equally good or a better good deed, and hope for the best.
If the sin/mistake was done against another person then you must ask forgiveness from the person and/or make it up for them to fix it.
20 - Absolutely avoid arrogance. Be meek and docile. Learn and apply knowledge (scientific, arts, social etc) that benefits humanity.

Now these only a few.
Whether a person claiming to be a Muslim lives by them or not is up to them?
Islam looks at how honestly have you tried within in your own means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:20 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
In Theravada Buddhism (as I interpret it), what is required (in my view) are:

1. The Four Noble Truths: There is Dukkha (suffering, discontent, stress). The cause of Dukkha is man's craving of things that often are beyond him. That man can reduce or eliminate that craving, and thus reduce or eliminate the suffering. That to reduce or eliminate that craving required the Noble Eightfold Path.

2. The Noble Eightfold Path consists of learning to view things in the right way; learning to resolve to act in a productive way; learning to use right speech; learning to behave appropriately (right action); being mindful of what you are thinking and doing (there are 2 others, but they are open to lots of interpretation and/or are a bit repetitive).

3. Live by the Five Precepts: abstain from taking life (there is some interpretation here regarding what is sentient life and how to live without eating meat); abstain from taking what is not given;abstain from sensuous misconduct; abstain from false speech (this goes beyond not lying); and abstain from substances that cloud thinking.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
I am guided by my conscience and common decency. I don't cheat, steal, punch people or kick puppies. I respect elders and children and am cordially polite to most adults. I rarely lie and when I do, it's usually to help someone feel better.

If I inadvertently hurt someone/thing I try to make amends.

The Golden Rule is a good guide. (For non-masochists.)

Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM

678 posts, read 429,782 times
Great topic. I could see myself following a lot of parts of different religions. My morals mostly come from life experience and not any single religion. My religion is Unitarian Universalism and there's no dogma or doctrine but the guiding principles are:

1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Don't most morals come from one's influences and within and not one's religion? If not, how could people who follow the same religion have completely different morals?

Last edited by Jumbo10; 10-25-2017 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 12:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
I think this isn't one for me, but for Theists of various stripe, (including "Agnostics" (Irreligious God -believers).

Have fun

Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I am guided by my conscience and common decency. I don't cheat, steal, punch people or kick puppies. I respect elders and children and am cordially polite to most adults. I rarely lie and when I do, it's usually to help someone feel better.

If I inadvertently hurt someone/thing I try to make amends.

The Golden Rule is a good guide. (For non-masochists.)
"Do unto others what you had them do unto you."

That would explain the whole Hellthreat -thing.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
The basic principle is a vested concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation. The difficulty, of course, is balancing needs involved.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
This is how my belief guides me...God holds everything together and is everywhere ..in Greek
that means, ''holds everything together and is everywhere".
There are usually variations of 'everywhere', so in English it means e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.
Practice the Divine Presence all the time and you may just find such happiness,
it's almost beyond belief!

Old 10-25-2017, 03:07 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Here are mine...

1. Remember that you have a Father in Heaven who knows you personally and loves you deeply. You are no more or less loved by Him than anybody else.
2. Treat all human beings as you would treat your own brothers and sisters, since they are also God's children -- regardless of their religious beliefs.
3. Know that your best efforts count with God. You don't have to be perfect, but you do have to make an effort to live according to the dictates of your own conscience.
4. Know that anything that is important enough for you to go God in prayer about, is also important to Him. Nothing is too trivial for His attention.
5. Be grateful always for the patience He shows you, because you mess up A LOT, and He is willing to let you start over as often as you need to!
6. Every single, solitary good thing you have in your life is a gift from God.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-25-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 03:11 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Great topic. I could see myself following a lot of parts of different religions. My morals mostly come from life experience and not any single religion. My religion is Unitarian Universalism and there's no dogma or doctrine but the guiding principles are:

1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Don't most morals come from one's influences and within and not one's religion? If not, how could people who follow the same religion have completely different morals?

I really admire this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality