Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

This is not a simple question. Our own mortality certainly can be a concern that is addressed by religion but not always helpful in coping with it. Those of us who have caused the death of others in war have a different concern that impinges on the irreversibility of the deaths we have caused for what may have been temporary or capricious political or geopolitical reasons. That certainly could be a stimulus to seek out religion to assuage those concerns. I can only use my own experiences as a benchmark.

In all candor, as an atheist, I had no preconceived bars against taking life in defense of my country and its interests. However, when faced with the reality of the actual carnage I wreaked, I eventually developed significant issues with it. My atheism precluded using religion to deal with it and it was instrumental in motivating the intensity and diligence of my quest for Nirvana resorting ultimately to biofeedback. I sought the promised and vaunted complete indifference to suffering promised in Buddhism.

During my epiphany, I was simultaneously disappointed and unimaginably joyful at the reality I actually encountered. My concerns over suffering were not assuaged and I certainly did NOT become indifferent to it, but the Oneness made any such concerns moot. I can say with absolute confidence that I have no concerns about what happens at death whatever is or is not true about my current views. I am looking forward to feeling like that again at death, even if, as so many of my critics contend, it turns out to be only temporary as I pass into oblivion. I have absolutely no fear of death and no need for religion to cope with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is not a simple question. Our own mortality certainly can be a concern that is addressed by religion but not always helpful in coping with it. Those of us who have caused the death of others in war have a different concern that impinges on the irreversibility of the deaths we have caused for what may have been temporary or capricious political or geopolitical reasons. That certainly could be a stimulus to seek out religion to assuage those concerns. I can only use my own experiences as a benchmark.

In all candor, as an atheist, I had no preconceived bars against taking life in defense of my country and its interests. However, when faced with the reality of the actual carnage I wreaked, I eventually developed significant issues with it. My atheism precluded using religion to deal with it and it was instrumental in motivating the intensity and diligence of my quest for Nirvana resorting ultimately to biofeedback. I sought the promised and vaunted complete indifference to suffering promised in Buddhism.

During my epiphany, I was simultaneously disappointed and unimaginably joyful at the reality I actually encountered. My concerns over suffering were not assuaged and I certainly did NOT become indifferent to it, but the Oneness made any such concerns moot. I can say with absolute confidence that I have no concerns about what happens at death whatever is or is not true about my current views. I am looking forward to feeling like that again at death, even if, as so many of my critics contend, it turns out to be only temporary as I pass into oblivion. I have absolutely no fear of death and no need for religion to cope with it.
Not quite sure I understand everything you wrote, but the idea of death (which I believe is nothingness) does not entice me. I have come to believe what the Bible says about this despite the distortions of many. My main comment here, though, in response to your post is that I have come to learn that religion plays a big, big part in warfare and justifying it or supporting it. For instance, as one small example, the U.S. in WWII hired many chaplains for the military. Thousands, and they really needed more but the positions were not being filled.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:50 AM

3,640 posts, read 42,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My own opinion it is not.
I don't see my religion anything to do with coping with death or because of fear of death. It is all to do with understanding of my existence (this life) and understanding the purpose of my existence. This then extends to what is the best way to live this life which travels so fast that it's gone before we even realize we have lived so many years.

I have no fear of dying. To me dying is like going into sleep that happens to me every day. One moment I am awake the next asleep. That's how death will be for me; here one moment and gone the next. Why worry about the inevitable?

Quote:
We each have to come to terms with the reality of physical life being temporary and quite short. It is simply the nature of existence in a mortal world.
Exactly! There is no need to fear or worry about coping with something that is inevitable. I would be more concerned with making sure that when it does come eventually I have not left a burden on someone else because of my actions in this life. I will sleep better if I had been of benefit to someone than of loss to anyone.

I must admit one thing though; I do worry how my loved ones will cope the day I die. I just pray that they will have the courage to carry on with their life as usual and my death does not make them too sad.

Quote:
Our reason for religion should be simply the acknowledgment of our Creator and to serve Him by submission to Him alone.
Acknowledgement of our Creator is of course the starting point and the rest is extension from that belief. Too often serving or submission to the Creator is seen as an extremely narrow action of a human slave entirely dependant on the human master. In my view submission to the Creator is much wider than just one action of slavery as known to people. My way of serving our Creator is to meet the purpose of my existence on earth through my actions which is to believe in my Creator, help other human beings whenever I can, help earthly creatures and help to improve earthly environment so that earthly human life could be sustained continuously. There could be no better action for me than to meet the purpose of my existence on earth.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I don't see my religion anything to do with coping with death or because of fear of death. It is all to do with understanding of my existence (this life) and understanding the purpose of my existence. This then extends to what is the best way to live this life which travels so fast that it's gone before we even realize we have lived so many years.

I have no fear of dying. To me dying is like going into sleep that happens to me every day. One moment I am awake the next asleep. That's how death will be for me; here one moment and gone the next. Why worry about the inevitable?

Exactly! There is no need to fear or worry about coping with something that is inevitable. I would be more concerned with making sure that when it does come eventually I have not left a burden on someone else because of my actions in this life. I will sleep better if I had been of benefit to someone than of loss to anyone.

I must admit one thing though; I do worry how my loved ones will cope the day I die. I just pray that they will have the courage to carry on with their life as usual and my death does not make them too sad.

Acknowledgement of our Creator is of course the starting point and the rest is extension from that belief. Too often serving or submission to the Creator is seen as an extremely narrow action of a human slave entirely dependant on the human master. In my view submission to the Creator is much wider than just one action of slavery as known to people. My way of serving our Creator is to meet the purpose of my existence on earth through my actions which is to believe in my Creator, help other human beings whenever I can, help earthly creatures and help to improve earthly environment so that earthly human life could be sustained continuously. There could be no better action for me than to meet the purpose of my existence on earth.

The Bible says that we can live forever. (John 3:16.) I hope I can and will.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Live forever, where? In this life on this earth?

No way! We will all die.

Every Christian in the past died, every Christian present and in future will die. John 3:16 is not going to stop them from dying.

Bibles also says that even Jesus died. No point in reading too much into John 3:16.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:

No way! We will all die.

Every Christian in the past died, every Christian present and in future will die. John 3:16 is not going to stop them from dying.

Bibles also says that even Jesus died. No point in reading too much into John 3:16.
Well, there's always Psalm 37:29, which says:

"The righteous shall inherit the earth and live upon it for ever." (Jubilee Bible 2000)

Old 11-14-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Well, there's always Psalm 37:29, which says:

"The righteous shall inherit the earth and live upon it for ever." (Jubilee Bible 2000)
But that was the question; which earth, this earth or a new earth?

It can't be this earth as the Psalm 37:29 hasn't come true up till now. Therefore, Psalm 37:29 can only come true in the afterlife (after your first and the only death). Even then only if you were the righteous otherwise you will neither live nor die there.

On this earth, every soul shall taste death.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
But that was the question; which earth, this earth or a new earth?

It can't be this earth as the Psalm 37:29 hasn't come true up till now. Therefore, Psalm 37:29 can only come true in the afterlife (after your first and the only death). Even then only if you were the righteous otherwise you will neither live nor die there.

On this earth, every soul shall taste death.
We are all in a state of dying, but I'm not so sure every soul shall taste death as in "go to sleep," or be buried in the grave.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:31 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:

No way! We will all die.

Ultimately, Christians will live in the New Jerusalem, or heaven on earth.

https://www.gotquestions.org/new-jerusalem.html

Currently, all deceased Christians are in heaven, in the presence of God.

2 Corinthians 5 “We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord…and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord."

Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Living forever seems appealing at first. But if you really think about it, it's actually pretty terrifying. What do you do after the first million years? After the first 100 million? 100 billion? Even a trillion years is nothing compared to eternity. What if you want out? You'd be trapped, with no possibility of escape!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality