Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times

Advertisements

It says let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. The higher power is G-d Himself, and whoever is walking with Him. We cannot allow other men to make us stumble, and then claim we were following G-d in it. Men are also empowered by Him to force us to choose ye this day whom ye will serve, also. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 07:03 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From the OP...

I think this is a general statement that says people should be subject to human governing authorities regardless of the character of the people in charge.

Now if those leaders encourage activity that is not of God, then we are not to follow those specific commands and we take whatever punishment that results. See Daniel and the lions' den... he was in trouble because he disobeyed the rules and worshiped God.
I guess it is ok to rebel against taxation without representation...

Old 11-09-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
It means if you do bad, you SHOULD FEAR, and this is common sense of any society, if you are a thief and a murderer, then YOU SHOULD FEAR he who wields the sword.

If you follow God and have given up everything for god, then you have absolutely no fear of court, he who sits in the throne of court cannot say anything that is not meant to come out of his mouth. If you have given up your life for Christ, then it wouldn't matter if the judge hated you, he would fall dead before the wrong words came out of his mouth. Every time I have ever been to court, people were astonished and amazed at what took place because none of them knew who the judge was, and who I was to him. I have never feared a court, and of all the places I would feel safe, is right there in front of the throne.

Its really true. I got drug into court one time, and the judge yelled at the people that drug me in there, and everything was dismissed. Their jaws dropped, but I knew going in, He was going to deal with it because of a dream He gave me before the court date. So I had peace. Peace

Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Its really true. I got drug into court one time, and the judge yelled at the people that drug me in there, and everything was dismissed. Their jaws dropped, but I knew going in, He was going to deal with it because of a dream He gave me before the court date. So I had peace. Peace

Old 11-09-2017, 08:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
I have also had similar dreams that turned out to be scarily accurate. Though not quite with that level of seriousness.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Romans 13:1-14

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. ..."

So, according to this Bible verse, everyone who is in a position of authority over others has been put there by the higher power to rule over them and not be questioned.

Obviously not everyone who has been put into positions of authority throughout history were good leaders.

Do you think that this verse has something to do with pre-ordainment and fate?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post

This verse is condemning freewill, choice and prudent discretion of personal responsibility. It condones slavery.

What do you think that this verse signifies?
As long as man's law does not obviate or contradict God's law (of love or worship, such as to do acts of worship to a governmental leader or go against our Godly conscience), we are to remain law-abiding citizens, pay our taxes, not rebel against the government, or powers-that-be.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:32 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Quote:
It says let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. The higher power is G-d Himself, and whoever is walking with Him. We cannot allow other men to make us stumble, and then claim we were following G-d in it. Men are also empowered by Him to force us to choose ye this day whom ye will serve, also. Peace
Yes, I was thinking about governmental arrangement lately. For instance, the United States has enforceable government rules (sometimes). Who gives them this power? We have the Founding Fathers and agreement by law for those who either live in this country or who are born in this country to obey the Law. Most other countries do, too. And so did the nation of Israel when they were given the Law by Moses, they agreed to it, so both they and their descendants were bound to henceforth obey the Law. I guess we need organization, otherwise why would we inherently go along with things? Unless, of course, there was a revolution. But now that I think about it, taxation without representation is not in my opinion, a Christian reason to engage in mortal combat. Although it isn't good. I do remember reading about the Mongols who without warning completely demolished countries, killing everyone in their path. And then the leader actually formed an organized society with many advances. We don't learn much about it in the western world.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have also had similar dreams that turned out to be scarily accurate. Though not quite with that level of seriousness.

That's the Lord. The word says plainly He will speak to people in and through dreams. It's not hard to tell the G-d dreams, usually. I find they're in color and so real it's like it literally just happened. I wish I had kept a journal all these years (one of my friends says the same thing; He gives her dreams too) of all the dreams He's given me that came to pass. Some of them took years, some of them were shortly accomplished, but all of them were exactly as seen. Peace

Old 11-10-2017, 06:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
No.

As long as man's law does not obviate or contradict God's law (of love or worship, such as to do acts of worship to a governmental leader or go against our Godly conscience), we are to remain law-abiding citizens, pay our taxes, not rebel against the government, or powers-that-be.
If thats the way it is supposed to be though, christians should have been instructed to stopped paying their taxes and stop obeying the Govt in charge, once certain things they did came to light, that contradict Gods laws, I mean, look at some of the recent things our Govt has done, give the public lies in order to get support of going to war with another nation, worship of greed that is so prevalent, a Govt that legalizes the killing of unborn babies, etc etc I could go on and on...why are christians still obeying this kind of authority? Why are the church leaders not standing up and encouraging their flock to disobey on a large scale?

Somehow, I think God would be more upset if people just 'go along to get along', in other words, compromise on his laws in order to have a decent quality of life.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:31 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If thats the way it is supposed to be though, christians should have been instructed to stopped paying their taxes and stop obeying the Govt in charge, once certain things they did came to light, that contradict Gods laws, I mean, look at some of the recent things our Govt has done, give the public lies in order to get support of going to war with another nation, worship of greed that is so prevalent, a Govt that legalizes the killing of unborn babies, etc etc I could go on and on...why are christians still obeying this kind of authority? Why are the church leaders not standing up and encouraging their flock to disobey on a large scale?

Somehow, I think God would be more upset if people just 'go along to get along', in other words, compromise on his laws in order to have a decent quality of life.
There are those that believe that way. On the other hand, does anyone think that Rome wasn't doing horrible things with the taxes collected in that time? Paul was instructing them to be good citizens and not make waves because God put those authorities in place, and ultimately, it furthered the Gospel to be good citizens and enjoy the freedom they received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality