Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Eh? No...mordant, Transponder, littlewitness...our sense of morality is here in this enclosed system on a level playing field...and all of us fall short of the Glory of God.
Transponders sense of morality isn't higher than mordant's and vice-versa. All of us has God concluded in unrighteousness, that He might have mercy upon all.
I said your because you said Mordant had broken off the yoke of God's. OK where does Mordant or Trans or your sense of morality fall short of God's? What have you learned from God that is moral that you didn't know before?

Old 01-22-2018, 08:46 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I said your because you said Mordant had broken off the yoke of God's. OK where does Mordant or Trans or your sense of morality fall short of God's? What have you learned from God that is moral that you didn't know before?
I should also point out that I never found the "yoke of god's morality" in the least burdensome. Even less so than many of my fundamentalist acquaintances perceived it*. So there was nothing I felt the need to "break off" of myself. In fact, my deconversion had nothing at all to do with a desire to be libertine or licentious or rebellious -- quite the opposite. It had entirely to do with religious faith failing to accurately explain or predict experienced reality, due to its being untethered to it.

The ONLY thing about my morality that changed when I deconverted was my motivation, not my behavior. I was still monogamous, temperate, kind, loving, and all the rest to the exact same extent. The difference was that I now did it entirely by choice rather than partially by fear of punishment / demands / expectations of some celestial strong man.

* In fact I well remember that I was so naive in this respect that I was shocked -- shocked! -- to find that when I settled into my dorm at Bible Institute, that many of my fellow students chafed at the school rules -- at curfew, in loco parentis and so forth. I had so little experience with rebellion that up to that point it had simply been a theoretical abstraction to me. That's how conformist I was. I couldn't understand why you'd want to stay up past 10 pm when you had to be up at 6 am to catch the shuttle to the main campus anyway [shrug]. Of course, my compatriots were not rebelling at god, or god's authority, or god's earthly representatives. Their complaints were entirely explicable as standard-issue adolescent differentiation / individuation and youthful hubris. It was *I* who was the outlier, not they. I had already decided that the path to adulthood and its privileges was to act like an adult. So I simply bypassed youth. A decision I in some ways now regret, to be honest.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I was able to rep you on this post. It captures in one accurate nutshell what is going on and what is at stake for theists.

The supernatural is a useless concept. It says something is outside of the natural world, yet claims it interacts with the natural world and that there is information concerning it -- enough to build elaborate doctrines around it. But as soon as there's information or interaction, it simply a natural phenomenon, by definition.

Believe in the supernatural if you must, but don't claim to know anything about it. If you know anything about it, by alleged revelation or any other mechanism, then the label "supernatural" is meaningless.
Yes. I did a post once where some believer was complaining how unfair it was that the supernatural, as soon as it becomes validated, explained and understood, because natural. It meant that the supernatural was beaten before it satrted.

Yes, I said. That's why we don't believe in it.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's even more deadly to God or Bible morality than that. The deeds of God or the Bible are judged all the time by the believers, using human morality. Thus they claim that such an such is a good act and credit to their god, but That is a bad act and has to be blamed on someone else.

It's not just the OT, either. The NT has all sorts of advice and ehortations that are help up as superior morality, but they judge it according to human moral standards and know it isn't really good advice because they don't do it.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:06 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,683 times
Quote:
I was able to rep you on this post. It captures in one accurate nutshell what is going on and what is at stake for theists.

The supernatural is a useless concept. It says something is outside of the natural world, yet claims it interacts with the natural world and that there is information concerning it -- enough to build elaborate doctrines around it. But as soon as there's information or interaction, it simply a natural phenomenon, by definition.

Believe in the supernatural if you must, but don't claim to know anything about it. If you know anything about it, by alleged revelation or any other mechanism, then the label "supernatural" is meaningless.
No...you see, you're a liberal lunatic...still complaining about a war that has already been won. What followers of Christ are still dealing with is the woe of aftermath...similar to the recent US election.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,683 times
Quote:
I should also point out that I never found the "yoke of god's morality" in the least burdensome. Even less so than many of my fundamentalist acquaintances perceived it*. So there was nothing I felt the need to "break off" of myself. In fact, my deconversion had nothing at all to do with a desire to be libertine or licentious or rebellious -- quite the opposite. It had entirely to do with religious faith failing to accurately explain or predict experienced reality, due to its being untethered to it.

The ONLY thing about my morality that changed when I deconverted was my motivation, not my behavior. I was still monogamous, temperate, kind, loving, and all the rest to the exact same extent. The difference was that I now did it entirely by choice rather than partially by fear of punishment / demands / expectations of some celestial strong man.

* In fact I well remember that I was so naive in this respect that I was shocked -- shocked! -- to find that when I settled into my dorm at Bible Institute, that many of my fellow students chafed at the school rules -- at curfew, in loco parentis and so forth. I had so little experience with rebellion that up to that point it had simply been a theoretical abstraction to me. That's how conformist I was. I couldn't understand why you'd want to stay up past 10 pm when you had to be up at 6 am to catch the shuttle to the main campus anyway [shrug]. Of course, my compatriots were not rebelling at god, or god's authority, or god's earthly representatives. Their complaints were entirely explicable as standard-issue adolescent differentiation / individuation and youthful hubris. It was *I* who was the outlier, not they. I had already decided that the path to adulthood and its privileges was to act like an adult. So I simply bypassed youth. A decision I in some ways now regret, to be honest.
Your little star reply is bs. Ah..."religious faith." There you go again...blaming your own failures on an abstract concept. What actually occurred was you got beat up in Bible college for being a "goody-2-shoes." You're still angry with the "celestial strong man" for letting it happen?

Old 01-22-2018, 01:45 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Your little star reply is bs. Ah..."religious faith." There you go again...blaming your own failures on an abstract concept. What actually occurred was you got beat up in Bible college for being a "goody-2-shoes." You're still angry with the "celestial strong man" for letting it happen?
I asked you a very pointed question. Why do you take time to asses Mordant but not answer a question? It is a question that allows you to contrast Godly morality against secular in front of an audience. It's showtime my man.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
What ARE you going on about? I wasn't seen as a goody two shoes nor was I beat up for it. It's possible to have no issue with a ruleset and not judge others for having an issue, or be a douchebag about it. I was well liked by my peers. You really DO assume an awful lot, cowpoke.

I also do not blame whatever in my life is not to my liking, on my faith. Religious faith played a regrettable role and I wish I'd caught onto it sooner and wasted less time on it. But no one held a gun to my head and made me stay with it. That's on me. Just like your armchair psychiatry is on you.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
No...you see, you're a liberal lunatic...still complaining about a war that has already been won. What followers of Christ are still dealing with is the woe of aftermath...similar to the recent US election.
Make you a deal. I won't call you a conservetard if you don't call me a liberal nutter. That way, neither of us will violate the terms of service. 'K?

As to what you think I'm complaining about ... I have no idea. Doesn't matter. You're out of ideas to share, and are resorting to character assassination. You're not the first, and won't be the last.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's even more deadly to God or Bible morality than that. The deeds of God or the Bible are judged all the time by the believers, using human morality. Thus they claim that such an such is a good act and credit to their god, but That is a bad act and has to be blamed on someone else.

It's not just the OT, either. The NT has all sorts of advice and ehortations that are help up as superior morality, but they judge it according to human moral standards and know it isn't really good advice because they don't do it.
If Christians would even do half the crap their fairy tale god does, they would end up with multiple life in prison sentences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality