Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I will. "it would be funny if it wasn't so close to the truth" implied that he knew it was overdone (No gay couple would say they were deliberately trying to close down Christian businesses) but that the truth was that there really is a campaign to put Christian businesses out of business. All they have to do is not discriminate against gays. If they do - as the Theist apologists say - nobody is sending them to bankruptcy, they have a choice.

They don't have to agree with gay cakes or even like same sex couples. They do have to comply with the law.

BF's post was based on the idea that - no matter how much he bought into the satire, he bought into the idea that it was persecution of Christians by Gays. And I can't let him off that. Especially as not long since he was acting all hurt and Martyred because we said he was anti -gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:36 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
I don't really care what the "law" says. I want the businesses which discriminate to be known for their practices publicly.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Don't discriminate and you won't have any problems. The anti-gay bigots have only themselves to blame. Is that really so hard to understand?

Would Jesus tell gays to <bleep> themselves if they asked him for a cake? Really?

Can you direct me to the place in the Bible where baking a cake for the wrong person is prohibited?
How do you think the friends and families of the all the people who lived in Sodom and Gomorrah felt after God destroyed the 2 cities, all due to their sexual sins? Im sure they had friends and family that were not in either city when it was destroyed. If that happened today, it would be the largest hate crime ever and Id bet majority of people would be mourning the loss of life...but the act of mourning would be a slap in the face to God, he would be the terrorist responsible.

Hint hint.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:26 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How do you think the friends and families of the all the people who lived in Sodom and Gomorrah felt after God destroyed the 2 cities, all due to their sexual sins? Im sure they had friends and family that were not in either city when it was destroyed. If that happened today, it would be the largest hate crime ever and Id bet majority of people would be mourning the loss of life...but the act of mourning would be a slap in the face to God, he would be the terrorist responsible.

Hint hint.
LMAO, really? We have to keep cake from gay people or Sky Daddy will get angry.

It is also ironic that you bring up Sodom & Gomorrah, a story which had nothing to do with sexual activity and was all about the custom of providing hospitality to guests and being responsible for their well being and safety. So your God is more likely to be upset at the baker than the people that wanted a cake.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
LMAO, really? We have to keep cake from gay people or Sky Daddy will get angry.

It is also ironic that you bring up Sodom & Gomorrah, a story which had nothing to do with sexual activity and was all about the custom of providing hospitality to guests and being responsible for their well being and safety. So your God is more likely to be upset at the baker than the people that wanted a cake.
Unfortunately, this is the state of Christianity in America.

There are still countless millions of Christians in our benighted little country that practice their religion as if this were still 1500 A.D. and science doesn't exist.

They still view the world through the lens of angry gods sending punishments down against humanity whenever we do something wrong.

The definition of "wrong," however, is completely turned on its head with today's Christianity -- whereby homosexuality is far worse (and more wrong) than things like, oh, murder, rape, pedophilia, domestic violence, etc.

Because you NEVER hear one of these religious bigots claiming that this or that natural disaster, act of terrorism, or school shooting occurred because God is angry with our gun fetish culture or because of the thousands of murders that take place every year, or the seemingly endless accusations of sexual misconduct by our leaders.

Of course not.

Homosexuality is the PENULTIMATE sin, at least according to these kinds of Christians -- even though no one is being hurt and there are no victims. Not even "thou shalt not kill" emblazoned on the 10 Commandments is worse than being gay.

Which stands to reason -- despite watching these very same Christians flailing about trying to claim they aren't being bigots. Well, flail as they might, I think the rest of us knows the truth. After all, it's no coincidence that God always hates the same people they do.

Pathetic, really, and a perfect example of why Christianity in America is an abject failure.

That's not to say that there aren't good Christians. It's just that there aren't enough of them and they don't have the political clout as those who still practice their faith as if this were 500 years ago. The rest of the world has since moved on, but America is still the only nation in the world still producing large numbers of Christian fanatics and zealots that really do not want a truly free country. Instead, they want to have the right to punish those who refuse to conform to their religion ... kind of like other fanatical, fundamentalist groups we all know and love in other parts of the world.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
BF's post was based on the idea that - no matter how much he bought into the satire, he bought into the idea that it was persecution of Christians by Gays. And I can't let him off that. .
Well said that man! I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How do you think the friends and families of the all the people who lived in Sodom and Gomorrah felt after God destroyed the 2 cities, all due to their sexual sins?
According to the fairy tale, it wasn't for sexual sin. It was for being inhospitable.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:45 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
According to the fairy tale, it wasn't for sexual sin. It was for being inhospitable.
I've tried to explain to them that the Sodom and Gamorrah story was about the lengths one should go in order to protect guests that you invite into your home. In the Arab world, protecting your guests is serious business -- which is why Lot even offered to toss his virgin daughters to the crowd. That was a bit hyperbolic, but it does exemplify how even your own family should be sacrificed to protect the well-being of your houseguests, even if they are complete strangers.

Those of us here in the West -- well, SOME of us here in the West -- can't seem to wrap their minds around this Arab custom because, well, it's not a Western custom. Therefore, they missed the point of the story altogether.

Obviously, those two cities were filled with supposedly evil people and all of these men wanting to rape those angels was just one aspect of their supposedly evil ways. Unfortunately, old-school interpretations still put all of the focus on the homosexuality and incorrectly spew the poison that God laid waste to those cities exclusively because of the same-sex stuff.

Of course, the story could have been written differently, but it wasn't -- because women weren't very highly regarded as much else than baby factories which meant the angels couldn't be female. I don't think there are ANY female angels in the Bible.

And ... because the righteousness of an entire family is based exclusively on the righteousness of the head patriarch (what women do is irrelevant to God because, well, they're not important), the people who came to Lot's house to "know" the angels all had to be male, as well.

Ergo, the author really had no choice than to make it a homosexual incident -- but that, of course, wasn't supposed to be the focus of the story.

Not that you can tell any of this to the homophobes out there who desperately want the S&G story to be all about God being angry with gays ... for obvious reasons.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:12 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Unfortunately, this is the state of Christianity in America.

There are still countless millions of Christians in our benighted little country that practice their religion as if this were still 1500 A.D. and science doesn't exist.
You probably feel it's not up to me to "save you", don't you?

Likewise, it's not up to you to educate all us idiots that actually believe in God...ok? So when you post about us not wanting to come out of the dark ages, or we're 500 years in the past....it just makes people dig in deeper against you. You're not accomplishing anything.
Quote:
They still view the world through the lens of angry gods sending punishments down against humanity whenever we do something wrong.
Actually, that's the exact opposite message of Christianity. Not that I expect you to actually pay attention to what we've been saying. I believe this conversation tends to be entirely 1-sided.
Quote:
The definition of "wrong," however, is completely turned on its head with today's Christianity -- whereby homosexuality is far worse (and more wrong) than things like, oh, murder, rape, pedophilia, domestic violence, etc.

Because you NEVER hear one of these religious bigots claiming that this or that natural disaster, act of terrorism, or school shooting occurred because God is angry with our gun fetish culture or because of the thousands of murders that take place every year, or the seemingly endless accusations of sexual misconduct by our leaders.
Maybe he is. Maybe he is judging our nation for murders. Maybe he's judging our nation for other things. Maybe the natural disaster has no correlation to guns, homosexuality, or anything else you can think of.
Quote:
Of course not.

Homosexuality is the PENULTIMATE sin, at least according to these kinds of Christians -- even though no one is being hurt and there are no victims. Not even "thou shalt not kill" emblazoned on the 10 Commandments is worse than being gay.
It's a sin. Just like adultery. Just like murder. Just like every other sin. No better, no worse. It's a sin. But that's not why I'm against gay marriage, and I'm not the one that is standing up and chiding you or anyone else, claiming we need to legislate religion.
Quote:
Which stands to reason -- despite watching these very same Christians flailing about trying to claim they aren't being bigots. Well, flail as they might, I think the rest of us knows the truth. After all, it's no coincidence that God always hates the same people they do.
I don't hate anyone. That is something you continue to harp on. Nonstop nagging and accusing. Despite us continuing to tell you otherwise, you continue to harp on that. You're a noisy cymbal. All you do is nag nag nag on this crap and it's tiring. Get over it. We do not hate gay people.

That's really what this is about, isn't it? We've reached the point in our snowflake society where if we dare to say that something OTHER than the things your side denounces are bad.....then we're intolerant bigots. It's impossible to have a conviction based on reason that goes against your opinion, isn't it?

How about you stop being disengenuous and you actually represent our side fairly? You might find that maybe we're not quite what you have made us out to be in your mind.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:23 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm sorry.....I thought my statement of "It would be funny if it wasn't so close to truth" implied I was aware it was satire. Yes, I know BB is a satire site. I follow it and enjoy it.

If we did read an actual news article describing such a site, I doubt any of us would really be surprised.
Well, yes. The point here is that it is satire for a REASON. some fundy minds HAVE that persecution complex when all it is is a matter of righting the wrongs THEY have perpetuated.

And No, BF, it is not hateful or bigoted to try to STOP people from doing actual harm to others and THAT is what the anti-discrimination laws are about. If you could show that a same sex committed relationship were ACTUALLY harmful to ANYone you would have a leg to stand on.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:43 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, yes. The point here is that it is satire for a REASON. some fundy minds HAVE that persecution complex when all it is is a matter of righting the wrongs THEY have perpetuated.

And No, BF, it is not hateful or bigoted to try to STOP people from doing actual harm to others and THAT is what the anti-discrimination laws are about. If you could show that a same sex committed relationship were ACTUALLY harmful to ANYone you would have a leg to stand on.
I think the article speaks for itself. People's businesses have been destroyed by others with agendas of using the court system to attack them. It's not inconceivable that there would be this type of online registry and organized system to attack people that dare to disagree with the accepted beliefs of the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality